Honda of America Mfg.

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
3.3

Tomomi Kosaka

Pros
  • Overall the pay and benefits are good for the area that they employ from (in 8 reviews)

• Honda is a great company to work for they have great benefits and retirement also you make good pay with this company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Even some of the other comments here seem to confirm that the Work-Life balance is pretty bad (in 3 reviews)

• Hard workers are scorned by management because they may never have worked the floor (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, but rewarding

Current Employee - Purchasing  in  Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Love the people there. Some of the tasks or issues can be tough to handle, but it's very rewarding when it's accomplished.

Cons

Vacation days are not flexible. Terrible for being there the first year. No sick days.

Flexible vacation days or hours.

Honda of America, Marysville

Current Employee - Manufacturing  in  Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, health insurance, 401k, overtime

Cons

Stuck on 2nd shift, no chance for 1st shift for at least 15+ Years!! Management is poor, promotions involve the buddy system. The temps work harder than the full-timers!!! Full-timers treat temps as such, hours are horrible

Good pay, decent treatment, great benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

For the area, you won't find any better compensation. It is a farming area and if anyone works for another factory, it is likely a Honda supplier. Great parking, olympic pool/fitness center with trainers and massage therapists. Very laid back and low expectations. You get a bonus once a month just for showing up to work everyday. Also profit sharing and stock options. No business attire needed for working ANYWHERE at Honda. The CEO wears the same shirt and pants as the man who puts the floor mats in. There is a plethora of inhouse training, from MS Office, to accounting classes and many thing that will heighten your business acumen. However, trying to get into an off-site training that will look good on your resume is difficult.

Cons

Most of the facility is run by "good ole boys". The best education you can have is from the local high school. If you have a bachelors or a masters, your opinion will hardly matter and you will be there for the paycheck. Your manager will likely have a high school diploma, have no idea what a pivot table is, and be divorced because they will do anything management says. They stress family values, but that doesn't amount to quality time with family. Just means they will pay you. Most of the japanese who are there left their families in Tokyo and send their paychecks home. Also, you are stuck wherever you are. It is very hard to move to a different position and IMPOSSIBLE to move to another division.

Allow cross training to improve schedule flexibility and associate freedom. Reward employees with options for vacation or compensation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Honda East Liberty

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  East Liberty, OH
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in East Liberty, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great pay
    Keeps you busy
    Once you are in its hard to get lose your job
    Very stable company with no layoffs

Cons

Do not trust some of the management
    Weekend work
    Hard to move up and get promotions

Do not use people....

Excellent but strict company to work for.

Current Employee - Payroll  in  Timmonsville, SC
    Current Employee - Payroll in Timmonsville, SC

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent health insurance with low premiums.

Cons

Manufacturing environment with strict adherance to policy or perfect attendance bonus is lost.

None

My experience with HAM in the NAT department has been fast paced, rewarding, and exhilarating!

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer  in  Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Honda actually cares about each one of their workers, the leadership I had in my department was providing me with knowledge outside of just doing my current job but assisting me in acquiring my dreams and goals. Honda employees are very enjoyable and easy to talk to about ideas despite some of them being difficult to implement

Cons

A lot of upper management have become accustom to the way things are, instead of fighting against the norm to implement changes that could drastically improve systems! I feel Honda has gotten a bit dull in the design of their cars and are afraid to step outside the box and offer exciting models! Loosing their way in what made Honda Great!

Don't lose sight of the core values of Honda! A lot of major issues between Honda's corporations goes unseen, hurting the growth between networks!

Honda Manufacturing - Internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interns/Co-ops get to work on many different projects related to the assembly line. You get a lot of exposure to Honda's manufacturing methods. Coworkers were great.

Cons

They had some bad past experiences with co-ops and didn't have very high expectations. You have to prove that you really want to learn something from working there.

Things have changed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay. Up until recently, management had a strong attitude that the front line worker was key to success. They were given the tools they needed, listened to, and respected.

Cons

Lately, decision are made secretly and not shared.

Pay attention to what is going on in Japan Operations. It has gotten scary in the last ten months!

Great learning environment for engineering students.

Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op  in  East Liberty, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in East Liberty, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Honda provides a mentor who thoroughly trains you in a realistic position solving problems and enhancing the company with true deliverables.

Cons

Placement is determined by the talent management staff through the co-op program (interns do not apply for a specific assignment).

Be flexible with co-ops: when I arrived my mentor realized where my talents were and gave me specific tasks where I could be challenged and find success. A rigid assignment would not have been nearly as beneficial for myself or my team.

Tough manufacturing climate

Current Employee - Engineering Coordinator  in  Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering Coordinator in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay Hours are strict, must work when they tell you. Office environment is from the 60's
    Good benefits
    Good pension

Cons

No opportunity or promotion unless you are connected. Or you must have a college degree.
    No further training once hired unlike Honda R&D

Upper management (SE + AM and above) shuts themselves off to lower staff. Private meetings and secret agendas

Worked for Honda of America Mfg.? Contribute to the Community!