Honda of America Mfg.

Updated October 25, 2014
Updated October 25, 2014
3.2

Tomomi Kosaka

Pros
  • Overall the pay and benefits are good for the area that they employ from (in 8 reviews)

• Honda is a great company to work for they have great benefits and retirement also you make good pay with this company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Even some of the other comments here seem to confirm that the Work-Life balance is pretty bad (in 4 reviews)

• Hard workers are scorned by management because they may never have worked the floor (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

As a temporary employee- Treated as trash

Current Employee - Temporary Associate
    Current Employee - Temporary Associate

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Its a paying job that is better then working in a gas station. Most of the people are good hard working.

Cons

Being a temp. and watching Honda hire people off the street faster then giving the temporary employee's a chance.

Give the full-time the hard working men & women who work years in your factory more of an opportunity for employment. Those who think they will have a better shot at getting a job for Honda if they temp are mistaken...it hurts more then helps.

Tempered expectations

Current Employee - Buyer in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Buyer in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security
    Not much else to speak of

Cons

Lack of accountability in management
    Unattainable expectations
    Poor work life balance

At least in the purchasing world management needs to start supporting associates instead of continually tearing them down. The amount of work that is expected of associates is unrealistic and it only creates tension between associates. There is no longer a sense of "Honda", but instead it is CYA everywhere you turn.

Flat Organization, lack of middle level management structure, no growth opportunities

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stability for an auto manaufacturer

Cons

Reduction in benefits each year for the last 10 years

Get back to the Honda Philosophy of the past where there was respect for the individual and rewards for good work ethic

Alarmed over the Corrupt Management and HR at HAM

Former Employee - Production Associate in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Generally safe. Mostly a clean environment. Great product! More good people than the company morons have the aptitude to recognize. Good area to harvest workers from...or it would be if we didn't treat people like a commodity!

Cons

"Good old boys system" in Management and HR. No system for checks and balances to establish respect for the individual. Hard workers are scorned by management because they may never have worked the floor. HR is a crime in the making. NOT professional! American management establishing their version of the Honda Way has led to much strife and criminal activity. People are scared for their jobs. There are many many workers not willing to give their ALL. I attribute this to poor leadership! If someone in management has a beef with you they have many tools to "get" you and are willing to destroy careers to do it! Very sad times. Caring about your work is running second fiddle to people who "think" they are running the show. Many fat cats doing practically nothing to produce the product. Incompetent white collars everywhere. Poor leadership and advancement procedures. Perhaps a refection of the greater societal woes of our times??

Get back to respecting your workers. Get rid of the ones who don't want to work....go to the spot and open your eyes. If you are part of the management problem then FIX it! Get out on the floor and take a day or two each month and use your hands and mind to WORK. Get rid of the HR establishment and for heavens sake give the good worker temps a full time position if they show that they are good workers. Be fair and be hesitant to trash peoples lives!

Not the same company I hired into

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to try new things. Good health benefits. Reduced rate lease car benefits for management.

Cons

Few development opportunities. Lack of respect and appreciation for experienced associates. Lower than average professional compensation.

Return to Honda Philosophy. Question leadership and go to the spot. Improve work environment for engineers in manufacturing.

Great learning environment for engineering students.

Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in East Liberty, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in East Liberty, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Honda provides a mentor who thoroughly trains you in a realistic position solving problems and enhancing the company with true deliverables.

Cons

Placement is determined by the talent management staff through the co-op program (interns do not apply for a specific assignment).

Be flexible with co-ops: when I arrived my mentor realized where my talents were and gave me specific tasks where I could be challenged and find success. A rigid assignment would not have been nearly as beneficial for myself or my team.

Tough manufacturing climate

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay Hours are strict, must work when they tell you. Office environment is from the 60's
    Good benefits
    Good pension

Cons

No opportunity or promotion unless you are connected. Or you must have a college degree.
    No further training once hired unlike Honda R&D

Upper management (SE + AM and above) shuts themselves off to lower staff. Private meetings and secret agendas

Great place to work

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very stable company. Never a layoff. Great benefits at zero cost. Always a bonus in November.

Cons

Pay is comfortable but not great. Lots of fat and overhead that needs to be trimmed.

Don't make morale any worse by reducing medical benefits any further.

Assembly

Former Employee - Assembly in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Assembly in Columbus, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

OT and nice people to work around.

Cons

Same thing and hard to develop career.

Opportunities to enhance careers.

The best IT job I have ever had.

Current Employee - PC Services in East Liberty, OH
    Current Employee - PC Services in East Liberty, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As an IT professional working at Honda is extremely versatile. Its never a dull moment. One minute I could be working on a computer back in the lab, the next minute is my time to shine, fixing and IT issue that keeps the manufacturing process going.

Cons

The commute is close to an hour. Thinking about moving closer to the plant.

Management is doing a fine job, thank you.

Honda of America Mfg. Photos