Honda of America Mfg. Reviews

Reset

Purchasing Coordinator

Former Employee - Purchasing Coordinator in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Purchasing Coordinator in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company provides you the opportunity to grow with the company. The medical benefits, 401k and vacation are one of the best.

Cons

One of the downsides at times working for Honda is the amount of overtime, which is necessary to get your job done. You are compensated for it!

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to be aware of the younger associates an their lack of providing clear direction.

2. Honda of America Manufacturing - Engineering Staff

Pros

Good job security and professional environment to work in. Great exposure to the Honda Way and Honda's philosophy. Benefits are a definite plus.

Cons

Organizationally flat structure which can make movement within the company tough at some times. Many old associates retiring which could cause a knowledge gap from loss of experience

Advice to Management

Leverage young engineers within company.

3. Internship

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in East Liberty, OH
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in East Liberty, OH

Pros

It's a really friendly work environment if you make it that way. They really take care of they're interns from relocation expenses to housing. The work in parts quality would probably lean more towards the business side of engineering. Responsibilties consist of containment of parts issues and working with parts suppliers to find countermeasures. No one is going to hold your hand though, you have to be self motivated and find work. It's a great place to make what you want out of it. Overall a great place to work.

Cons

Little direction at first, felt like I was being tested to see how self motivated I was. Not a lot of engineering knowledge required. Can get redundant at times.

Advice to Management

A little more direction to new hires to get the ball rolling per say.

5. Quality Operations

Current Employee - Quality
    Current Employee - Quality

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent job stability and fiscal management. Great union-free culture for manufacturing industry.

Cons

Executive opportunities / compensation not equivalent to similar companies

Started as temp, now full-time.

Current Employee - Full Time Associate in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Full Time Associate in Marysville, OH

Pros

Excellent paying job, benefits, many opportunities for promotion. You just have to work and stay focused on your career goals.

Cons

Too many chiefs running around with no clue on what they're doing. Top out pay won't be reached for new hires until after 8 years. Too many temps on 1st shift so expect to be on 2nd shift for a long time.

Advice to Management

Trim down management and remeber who is actually making the profit for Honda. The line associates, not managers behind a desk.

7. Anna Engine Plant, Anna Ohio

Former Employee - Associate in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Associate in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clean and safe work environment. Bonus pay for Holidays, attendance, and suggestions for improving work place safety.

Cons

Temporary employees will get priority to go to first shift, which means bumping you off of first even if your there for 10 + years.

Advice to Management

All the employees make the assembly lines work, ensure that they ALL are treated as equals. One department is not more important than the others.

Long Stable Career

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Anna, OH
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Anna, OH

Pros

Stable employment, good benefits, decent pay

Cons

Old boys club for promotions, incredible bureaucracy, inflexibility of rules, too many office workers, too much mandatory overtime

Advice to Management

Hear ideas from people doing actual work.

9. Engineering Staff

Former Employee - Engineering Staff in East Liberty, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Staff in East Liberty, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits (401k, health insurance, profit sharing bonus), opportunities for great work experience to start your career. People that work that are intelligent and fun to work with.

Cons

Have to work a 2nd shift every couples months. The work schedule is fairly inflexible and you sometimes have to work weekends.

Advice to Management

Overall management did a very good job. There needs to be a better solution for work flexibility for Engineers.

10. Hard Work, Good Pay

Current Employee - Assembly Associate
    Current Employee - Assembly Associate

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. Overtime pay. You always know what your pay will be because everyone makes the same amount of money. Uniforms. No need to ruin your own clothes.

Cons

Recently a lot of overtime on weekends. 30 minutes overtime on week days. Equipment breakdowns. Employes who do subpar work make the same amount of money as excellent workers. Whiners get off of the hard jobs and the hard workers have to pick up the slack. Assembly is extremely hot in the summer. Uniforms do not breathe.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who do the processes before changing the way things are done. All plants should have the same standars. If one plant requires sleeves to be down and snapped, they all should. Get cooler uniforms.

An engineering co-op's brief glimpse at HAM Mfg.

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Marysville, OH

Pros

I was a summer co-op at Honda, so I'll detail what I can. Most of the people I met there were very friendly people who seemed to work at least diligently and humbly. Overtime offered for the ability to rack up money if that's your thing.

Cons

I'm a college student so naturally I wasn't a fan of getting up at 4am to drive an hour from Columbus out to the middle of nowhere and having to clock in not 1 second later than 630am. Wait, doesn't anyone like this? I had to go in a lot of Saturdays too. I got the feeling from a lot of the associates that Honda could pretty much drain your life and free time away. Some of the engineers I knew worked 6-7 days a week. For a young person like me about to head out into the career world, this concept was absolutely horrifying. Even some of the other comments here seem to confirm that the Work-Life balance is pretty bad. The only benefit I saw was that all this overtime could mean lots of extra money in your pocket. Unfortunately, that interests me in no way whatsoever. Unsurprisingly, some of the associates subtly hinted that I should see what else is out there.

Advice to Management

N/A

RSS Feed </> Embed