Honeywell

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.2 1,612 reviews

Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote

David M. Cote

Pros
  • Good Work-Life Balance most of the time (sometimes it can get extremely hectic though)(in 122 reviews)

• Work environment is not very stressful and mostly you can choose your own projects(in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits, perks and work life balance have been slipping last few years(in 44 reviews)

• upper management doesn't involve itself in employee betterment(in 40 reviews)

1,612 Employee Reviews

Where old engineers go to die

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsSome projects were interesting.
    Some managers were good.

ConsFrom a Software Engineering perspective, it was ANCIENT.
    Too much standardization between groups that had different functions (made it inefficient).
    Too much focus on process.

Advice to Senior ManagementProcess is a good thing, but there is a fine line between enough and too much. When I was at Honeywell, it was definitely TOO MUCH. As engineers we spent more time adhering to process than getting actual work done.

Too much standardization of tools was killing our efficiency as well. Just because a tool works well for one group, doesn't mean it's the best tool for every group throughout a 100,000+ employee company. There should be a bit more control to use what works at the group level.

To managers: Understand what your employees do. If you don't really know/understand, listen to them. I had a manager who didn't know much about software development (he admitted as much). He then enforced ridiculous non-sensical goals on me for my annual goals and objectives.

Professional workers, but non-professional managers

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsI found the work in Albuquerque NM interesting and challenging. Developing Embedded applications for avionics.

ConsThe managers, in the team I was in, did not seem to want to manage people. They would avoid any chance to work directly with people. Of the 3 managers I had contact with only one truly wanted to manager people

Advice to Senior ManagementSelect managers based on their desire to manage people. Skilled workers who only want to manager jobs should not be assigned to manage people.

Good Until Bought by Allied Signal

Staff Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsIntellectually stimulating work. Leading-edge technology in the Aerospace field. Dynamic environment, especially in the government and defense sector. Diverse and very talented engineering workforce.

ConsVery much "old boy" network as far as advancement and promotions. Horrible management style of "rank and yank" inherited from CEO Dave Cote, a devotee and apprentice of GE's Jack Welch. Employees are ranked together with peers once a year during review cycle. Bottom 10% are marked for elimination - no exceptions. Stupid and incredibly moral destroying management style. Employees are forced to compete against each other just to keep their jobs, instead of focusing on innovation and new technology.

Every year, benefits are cut down from the previous year. Management Incentive Plan sounds good on paper, but in practice management finds ways to restrict the payouts by tying to unreachable goals the average employee has no control over.

Company seems to be more interested in moving jobs to cheaper off-shore locations rather than investing in their mainland U.S. employees. Stock price seems to be the focus of the company - period.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the Jack Welch-style "rank and yank". You are losing good employees. Upper management says employees are Honeywell's best asset - just lip service.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Only certain types of people will get promoted

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Coon Rapids, MN

ProsPeople are friendly.
    The work is fun.

ConsThere are better salaries elsewhere, and promotions only come if you brown nose your bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on quality of work, not who goes golfing with the boss.

Won't recommend to anyone in current situation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBig company...Lots of products around 4-5 key verticals.....Becoming kind of service work...Only legacy products....but serving only big players.....

ConsNo work life balance....Managers suck!! Becoming kind of service work...Only legacy products....but serving only big players.....

Advice to Senior ManagementMake managers to work!!!

Typical large Corporation

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) South Bend, IN

ProsStable company. Flexible work schedule.

ConsFrustrating, non-value added work. Honeywell seems to create its own problems. Communications are not very good. Vendors do not seem to be very developed or supportive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove away from "check the box" management style to actually trying to define problems and fix them.

In decline

ProsFlexible work hours, Comp time for time worked above 42 hours per week

ConsCurrently experiencing layoffs, low employee morale, low pay and poor benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care good performers, get rid of low performers

Process oriented company that has lost its way!

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLarge, safe, stable, innovative and have offices in most large cities. Global reach

ConsLack of respect for the individual. Very little upside. Worst HR in North America.

Advice to Senior ManagementHoneywell has excellent systems in place but not followed. Of course everyone does the mandatory training but for get the basic principle of respect for the individual. I have never worked in a company where there has been zero loyalty to the employer. Benefits are poor. All the emphasis seems to be on cash flow and stock price. Short sighted, ego-driven executive managers.

Low morale, big corporate machine.

ProsGood training programs, intelligent team members.

ConsPoor health insurance, lack of stable leadership. Extremely bureaucratic so it takes forever to get projects through. Way too much "corporate mentality." Employees are not treated as valued and compensation is lower than average compared to other industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to employees and make them feel like their opinion has weight. Too many bad ideas get promoted when employees who have been in the business a long time tell management the ideas are a mistake!

Sourcing

Sourcing (Current Employee)

ProsSome flexibility and a good resume builder

ConsTo big and lack of accountability

Advice to Senior Managementorganize company to be more efficient

Worked for Honeywell? Contribute to the Community!