Honeywell

3.2 1,582 reviews

Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote

David M. Cote

1,582 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Good Work-Life Balance most of the time (sometimes it can get extremely hectic though)"
    in 115 reviews
  • "Good compensation package and work environment, when US Govt market was good"
    in 68 reviews
Cons:
  • "Benefits, perks and work life balance have been slipping last few years"
    in 42 reviews
  • "upper management doesn't involve itself in employee betterment"
    in 38 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Important Work in a Dilbert Environment

Engineer III Electrical (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsYou get to work on some very interesting and unique technology that is important to national defense. Pay is decent/good for the Kansas City area. Doesn't usually require working very long hours. I refuse to use the term "work-life balance".

ConsThis plant has been doing this work since the 1940s, but corporate management has changed over time. Over the past 5-10 years, Honeywell corporate has become more actively involved in dictating how the plant operates. This includes the HOS (Honeywell Operating System), and a GE style human resources approach, among other things.

The core of HOS is basically quick and efficient morning department meetings. This is wrapped in a bunch of fancy corporate window dressing. By a "bunch" I mean that there is a senior manager position ($120k+ salary) devoted to HOS.

An example of how things devolved in Dilbert territory: Part of HOS is the concept of 5S, which is 5 words that essentially translate into "keep things clean, sorted, and organized". By the way, 5S originates from a Japanese system which uses 5 words that start with a phonetic "S". So they naturally found 5 English words that also start with an "S". Not gimmicky at all.

Anyway, 5S is typically used in a manufacturing environment, which does make some sense. But they decided to also apply it - without modification - to engineering office space. This means at the end of the day, your desk is supposed to look a certain way, with a neat stack of paper and everything in predefined places. I've heard from multiple reliable sources that they're soon going to start opening our drawers and cabinets to make sure they're also in compliance.

Doesn't sound *too* unreasonable yet, right? Just wait. Every desk has a trash can, and the trash is taken out on a daily basis. Yet still, there is a 5S related rule that dictates that any kind of food waste cannot be disposed of in the trash can. There is a Honeywell corporate guy where part of his job is to go around and inspect the trash cans to make sure this is not occurring. And not just food itself, even a food wrapper is an infringement.

Honeywell has also pushed a counterproductive human resources strategy. Every year, they target 10% of the work force to be rated under-performing. The system is known as the 9-block, which is a grid of performance and behaviors. If you are rated below by your manager, your job is in immediate jeopardy and you must pass a "Performance Improvement Plan" within 30-90 days or you are let go.

The problem with this system is the quota. The distribution is supposed to be plant-wide, but it is in reality broken down by department, so frequently a manager is forced to rate someone below, even if they don't have an employee that deserves it. The performance review often reads like a litany of trumped-up charges, exaggerating every possible behavior or event possible, real or perceived.

On top of that, upper management will lie to your face that there even is a quota, or how it is distributed. All you need to do is ask the right person that used to be a manager, and they will confirm what I just stated. Lest you think I am just a disgruntled employee, I have been rated below, average, and above average in the 3+ years I've worked there. The above average rating came with a promotion and a decent raise.

So in closing, you get to work on some very interesting and classified technology that is very important to national defense. But you also have a guy who makes more money than you inspecting your trash can for candy wrappers, and you could be thrown under the bus to make quota using an HR system pioneered by General Electric that they themselves abandoned for being counter productive. If you can tolerate the corporate BS, it really isn't a bad job.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if the management agreed with some of what I listed under "cons", I'm not sure there's much they can do about it. It probably comes from above them in corporate management.

I'm still here but NO room for advancement..

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsBeen with the company from the Allied Signal days --which were the best. Have possibly too much to lose (retirement) if I leave now, otherwise I would be gone.

ConsIf you are a minority, you're not going anywhere I've realized. Good old boy system still alive and well here. The insurance is the WORST I've ever seen or heard of for manufacturing jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of sharing survey results from year to year and doing nothing -- make some changes where you see the problems are..

Meat Market

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe pay is better than average.

ConsYou'll spend most of your time fending off those who will stab you in the back to protect themselves.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Less than desirable

Hardware Engineer III (Current Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

ProsExcellent people to work with that one can learn a lot from. Flex time is great and job security is pretty good. I have learned a lot working with all different functions of engineering and production.

ConsGet your pay coming in the door as raises are minimal no matter how one performs. In 6 years only 3 raises of around 2% and that was site wide. I was asked to be a lead engineer on a program with no raise even though I negotiated for one. There are no stock options and no profit sharing. Just not much to excite one to go the extra mile. Production group is extremely understaffed which puts programs in a terrible 'bind' and does not please the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer employees a chance to build the company and therefore reap the rewards of that with stock options or bonuses/profit sharing. Listen to your employees and don't rely on static numbers that are disconnected with reality in order to hire personnel.

New Employee

ProsGood people to work with

ConsVery monotonous in the call center

You'll learn a lot, but cash out before the culture drains you

(Current Employee)

ProsYou will be surrounded by smart people who will teach you a lot

Compensation is good

ConsCulture is becoming more dissatisfying by the day. The CEO's attitude towards the employee base is dismissive at best and unfortunately that attitude is starting to filter down throughout the individual business units.

While cash compensation is good, health benefits are among the worst in industry.

You are treated like it is an honor to work here.

Oppressive environment will leave you constantly on edge and frustrated. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand that the share price rules above all, but it would be nice if you created an environment that made employees think that you care, even just a little bit.

Good company to work for - as long as you "know the right people"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company. It's practically impossible to get fired from Honeywell (this can be good AND bad).

ConsIf you know the right people, there is room for growth. Layoffs have been happening more frequently. There is a large amount of lack of accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your employees about what is wrong and what needs to be fixed. When an employee comes to you with an issue, don't brush it off, put it off until later, or try to make it "somebody else's" problem. Take accountability/actions to fix the problem. Otherwise, you are sending a message to your employees that you don't care. And, if upper management doesn't care, then why should the employees care?

Unpleasant

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Wayne, NJ

ProsIntimate, small, fast paced environment.

ConsToo much workplace bullying and disrespect to staff.

Decent balance, no room to grow

ProsTelecommuting, work life balance, good opportunity to learn more about the field. Very intelligent team members.

ConsNo real opportunities to grow or earn more. No bonuses. No one gets promoted. Raises are paltry. High turnover. Very high stress at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove infrastructure so that employees can work towards a promotion or a substantial raise.

Good Program

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mentorship and training. Hired on as a contractor and was taken great care of by the company. I would recommend working for them.

ConsFragile Job Security. Within working there for two months found out the service location was shutting down. Outsourced a lot of job positions.

Worked for Honeywell? Contribute to the Community!

Honeywell Videos

Honeywell – Why Work for Us?

Honeywell's global customers, broad range of industries and innovative technologies combine to offer you dynamic career opportunities with tremendous growth potential in more than 100 countries worldwide. Your career… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Honeywell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Honeywell CEO David M. Cote. All 1,582 reviews posted anonymously by Honeywell employees.