Honeywell

3.2
1,858 Reviews

Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote
David M. Cote

Pros
  • Good Work-Life Balance most of the time (sometimes it can get extremely hectic though) (in 155 reviews)

• Great opportunity to learn new technologies if you are in the right project (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough in HR - many roles require hours well beyond a 40 hour work week (in 56 reviews)

• Upper management has self interests which over ride over all consideration for company (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good training and friendly environment

Former Employee - Black Belt in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Black Belt in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the best of the training and good understanding of customers and the Company itself. They are not control freak so you can give ideas and innovate. The changes sometimes are not very clear but the customer focus is clear.

Cons

Narrow possibility to a better position, a lot of people with seniority, so if you want to scale positions its kind of hard. The compensation is average to the market and the perks are below market. If you are in HR or IT the possibilities for a better position are even worst.

Little room for growth. Disappointing.

Former Employee - Marketing in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice facility, opportunity to work with people locally and internationally.

Cons

The company claims that it is a progressive one offering good benefits, competitive pay, training opportunities and career growth. Over the 6 years I worked there, the company said it couldn't afford to pay our earned merit increases for 3 of those years while the CEO received his, and compensation fell well below industry standards. Benefits only became more expensive each year, although they did contribute funds to your HSA to help. My management would not pay for the training opportunities that were available to me because they believed their current practices were satisfactory - innovation and risk taking were discouraged and you would get a slap on the hand if you made recommendations to senior management. Finally, unless you worked in Finance, management and HR were not interested in career planning or development. I watched dozens of talented college graduates leave the company over my 6 years there to work for a different company that was actually invested in their employees and developing talent for long-term growth.

You're missing out on hard working, young talent. If you don't create a career development plan for college graduates, you will continue to lose them to competitors who will actually help them grow in their careers.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Engineering Leader in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Engineering Leader in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Company is diverse and you can move around to get different experience without leaving the company.

Cons

work life is sometimes not balanced

Wolf in sheep's clothing

Former Employee - Group Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Group Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Upper management positions are very lucrative. Acquisitions keep the company growing. Shareholders have seen good returns. Not much else matters.

Cons

Honeywell was acquired by Allied Signal in 1999, mostly for the avionics business. The Honeywell name was taken because Allied Signal's wasn't as good. Yet the corporate philosophy remains the same. Cronyism is rampant. Putting corporate micro-managing in control, the HOS (Honeywell Operating System) only serves to reward management. The lowest tiers of workers are paying for the companies acquisitions through lower wages with less, or more costly benefits. Management is very anti-union. The unions leaders are useless, self-serving puppets. Most workers are rewarded by making others look bad. Fear is used instead of reward to get the work done. Quality is down. Rework and scrap have increased exponentially. The engineers are incompetent. The numbers are either distorted or ignored to make the HOS management system look good. Nothing but management matters.

Drop the Honeywell name. You wish you were as good as that. Reward your lower tier workers with opportunities to better themselves.

VERY FAST paced place to work, only want fresh new college blood and tend to boot out all others

Current Employee - Accountant in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Accountant in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

VERY FAST paced place to work, much variety and many many challenges, due to too obsession for acquisitions.

Cons

Too much departmental restructuring and outsourcing causing internal severe challenges. due to too obsession for acquisitions, overwhelming employees and systems. I appears due to all the layoffs they only want fresh new college blood and tend to boot out all experienced older ones to give their job offers to college interns. They Do not give bonuses to under mgmt levels and give far to low yearly wage merits no matter how hard you work for it. Top management get greatest pay and all of the incentives contrast to lower workers whether college degree or not, are given peanuts.

Smart company

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great manager who cared about my professional development and measured my success based on clear goals. I was able to learn a lot about the company and interact with many different functions.

Cons

A lot of employees are chronically unhappy and crabby! If you don't have a good manager it could be unbearable. It can be hard to find the right people to work with in such a large, matrixed organization.

Great Company

Former Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Total compensation is impressive for a large company.

Cons

Silo'd business units don't allow for collaboration

Only certain types of people will get promoted

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coon Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are friendly.
    The work is fun.

Cons

There are better salaries elsewhere, and promotions only come if you brown nose your bosses.

Promote based on quality of work, not who goes golfing with the boss.

Honeywell, a step back in time.

Current Employee - Technician III in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Technician III in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The pay is on par with industry standards for the job title
    -12.5% night shift differential
    -Expects their employees to become fishermen rather than relying on others

Cons

-Benefits for a company this size are pathetic
    -No perks
    -Being ran by people who struggle sending emails and are terrified of technology in the workplace
    -Honeywell would rather spend money on acquisitions than improving and sustaining their current entities
    -Outdated technology and the unwillingness to catch up with the competition
    -Near zero HR presence
    -Engineers are given too much control of the business side of running things

-The pay is fine but the perks and benefits of working here are non-existent and need immediate attention
    -Step into the future and embrace technology, its not just a fad going away. If you did it would make HOS a truly effective tool rather than an obstacle for true productivity

OK, pretty stable company, but penny-pinching accountants run the show

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best reasons would be working with good people. The other engineers, 1st-level managers, and other "individual contributors" at Honeywell are personable, and generally competent at their jobs. I really like my direct supervisor, and the other engineers I work with on a day-to-day basis. Also, at least at my location, it's very flexible on working hours and telecommuting. They don't ask me to work OT unless they really need it - which happens rarely. The retirement contribution is pretty good if you've been there for a while.

Cons

Since 2009, the general raise pool has been 0, 0, 2.5, 2.5, 0, and 2.5. This when company profits, and executive compensation, have skyrocketed. It''s tough to take - going to quarterly meetings where we hear how much money we're making, but then we can't afford raises.
    The other major con is the mass bureaucracy that I suppose may be typical at many large companies. How many managers, project managers, asst project mangaers, project engineers, PP&C people, etc., do we need on a project. It often seems like there's more managers than technical people working on a project. And when you look at our org chart near the top, Honeywell has dozens of Presidents, hundreds, if not thousands, of Vice Presidents, and on and on. Honeywell is a functional organization now, too, which means that HR only cares about HR, engineering only cares about engineering, project managers only care about that. It results in constant top-down directives that do nothing to improve the product, customer experience, or working environment of employees.

As just a minor example of how this translates to my job, there's been a hard, hard cap on promotions above my current level since 2008. Whereas before a decent engineer might've expected to make Principal Engineer by his mid-30s or certainly early 40s, now there is a hard cap that has no forseeable end date. This is because one of the accountants running the show said "Hey, we've got too many people at that level!" and then just top-down dictated no more promotions. They've gotten away with it because the economy's been so crappy that no one has wanted to leave. But if things pick up, they'll have young people leaving. Also, they've got a huge contingent of employees in their late 50s to early 60s who'll be retiring in the next 5-15 years. Their solution is to hire Puerto Ricans, Czechs, and others overseas. They are very penny-wise and pound-foolish on this and many, many other decisions.

Also, we have to pay a lot for our health insurance. A co-worker of mine saves $5K/year by being on his wife's plan vs what he'd pay at Honeywell.

If we can afford $70million for Dave Cote in 2013, we could've afforded the crappy 2.5% raises we had become accustomed to. Also, treating your employees as an expense to be managed rather than your most valuable resource will come back to bite you when the economy turns around.