Honeywell Reviews

David M. Cote

1. Good training and friendly environment

Former Employee - Black Belt in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Black Belt in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the best of the training and good understanding of customers and the Company itself. They are not control freak so you can give ideas and innovate. The changes sometimes are not very clear but the customer focus is clear.

Cons

Narrow possibility to a better position, a lot of people with seniority, so if you want to scale positions its kind of hard. The compensation is average to the market and the perks are below market. If you are in HR or IT the possibilities for a better position are even worst.

2. Every year employee value falls

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Honeywell

Pros

A Job that pays you on time minus all the costs of high health care that you can't use anyway because of the high 3000 insurance cap before anything is covered

Cons

bad management, all they care about is making upper management happy by doing stupid HOS CI forced quota's or you get written up, to include termination

Advice to Management

we make you money.

3. poor culture, very political

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell

Pros

in a good, high entry criteria industry

Cons

short sighted executives, who are not qualified, not even with knowledge of what they are responsible for. Got the jobs just because they are the buddies of CEO. Not respect subordinates.

Little room for growth. Disappointing.

Former Employee - Marketing in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice facility, opportunity to work with people locally and internationally.

Cons

The company claims that it is a progressive one offering good benefits, competitive pay, training opportunities and career growth. Over the 6 years I worked there, the company said it couldn't afford to pay our earned merit increases for 3 of those years while the CEO received his, and compensation fell well below industry standards. Benefits only became more expensive each year, although they did contribute funds to your HSA to help. My management would not pay for the training opportunities that were available to me because they believed their current practices were satisfactory - innovation and risk taking were discouraged and you would get a slap on the hand if you made recommendations to senior management. Finally, unless you worked in Finance, management and HR were not interested in career planning or development. I watched dozens of talented college graduates leave the company over my 6 years there to work for a different company that was actually invested in their employees and developing talent for long-term growth.

Advice to Management

You're missing out on hard working, young talent. If you don't create a career development plan for college graduates, you will continue to lose them to competitors who will actually help them grow in their careers.

6. Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Engineering Leader in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Engineering Leader in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Company is diverse and you can move around to get different experience without leaving the company.

Cons

work life is sometimes not balanced

Wolf in sheep's clothing

Former Employee - Group Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Group Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Upper management positions are very lucrative. Acquisitions keep the company growing. Shareholders have seen good returns. Not much else matters.

Cons

Honeywell was acquired by Allied Signal in 1999, mostly for the avionics business. The Honeywell name was taken because Allied Signal's wasn't as good. Yet the corporate philosophy remains the same. Cronyism is rampant. Putting corporate micro-managing in control, the HOS (Honeywell Operating System) only serves to reward management. The lowest tiers of workers are paying for the companies acquisitions through lower wages with less, or more costly benefits. Management is very anti-union. The unions leaders are useless, self-serving puppets. Most workers are rewarded by making others look bad. Fear is used instead of reward to get the work done. Quality is down. Rework and scrap have increased exponentially. The engineers are incompetent. The numbers are either distorted or ignored to make the HOS management system look good. Nothing but management matters.

Advice to Management

Drop the Honeywell name. You wish you were as good as that. Reward your lower tier workers with opportunities to better themselves.

VERY FAST paced place to work, only want fresh new college blood and tend to boot out all others

Current Employee - Accountant in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Accountant in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

VERY FAST paced place to work, much variety and many many challenges, due to too obsession for acquisitions.

Cons

Too much departmental restructuring and outsourcing causing internal severe challenges. due to too obsession for acquisitions, overwhelming employees and systems. I appears due to all the layoffs they only want fresh new college blood and tend to boot out all experienced older ones to give their job offers to college interns. They Do not give bonuses to under mgmt levels and give far to low yearly wage merits no matter how hard you work for it. Top management get greatest pay and all of the incentives contrast to lower workers whether college degree or not, are given peanuts.

Smart company

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great manager who cared about my professional development and measured my success based on clear goals. I was able to learn a lot about the company and interact with many different functions.

Cons

A lot of employees are chronically unhappy and crabby! If you don't have a good manager it could be unbearable. It can be hard to find the right people to work with in such a large, matrixed organization.

10. Great Company

Former Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Total compensation is impressive for a large company.

Cons

Silo'd business units don't allow for collaboration

Only certain types of people will get promoted

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coon Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are friendly.
    The work is fun.

Cons

There are better salaries elsewhere, and promotions only come if you brown nose your bosses.

Advice to Management

Promote based on quality of work, not who goes golfing with the boss.