Honeywell

Honeywell Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote

David M. Cote

Pros
  • Good Work-Life Balance most of the time (sometimes it can get extremely hectic though) (in 125 reviews)

• Work environment is not very stressful and mostly you can choose your own projects (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits, perks and work life balance have been slipping last few years (in 44 reviews)

• upper management doesn't involve itself in employee betterment (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
197 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fair company, values hard work and rewords accordingly. Recommended!

Engineer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsChallenging work, good people. Recommended!

ConsLike all big companies, some things may have processes or polices that don't make the most sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to rewarding workers and valuing them.

Not what it used to be

Engineer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsTalented and hard working fellow employees, good starting pay, decent benefits. Line level supervisors are generally excellent and supportive. Flexible work hours for some.

ConsCorporate leadership out of touch, poor new recruit retention. Honeywell no longer recognizes value of employee experience. Many of the better benefits are reduced for new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive young talent a promotion path, allow different divisions some autonomy, ditch the old G.E./Allied Signal way of doing things. Stop trying to hammer square pegs into round holes with the One Honeywell model.

Just isn't the same..

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat, hard working dedicated people. Use to have good benefits, competitive compensation, plenty of training opportunities. Sr Manager down, great leadership. Plenty of upward mobility

ConsCompany is only focused on shareholder satisfaction and stock performance, Benefits are getting smaller and smaller, Cutting costs at every opportunity with very little to no focus on the future, the employees or the customers... Sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the short term mindset, take care of your people, ride out the low times and focus on the future, not today and tomorrow. Invest heavily on future technology, that is what made us so successful in the first place. Put more thought into the betterment of the company and employees as appose to your bonus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What do YOU want?

Project Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsHighly matrixed organization creates an environment where too many stakeholders do not know what resources are available, who controls those resources, what are the capabilities of those resources, are those resources performing, along with what is the true business need or value stream. If you are politically savvy, you can thrive and garner advancement at Honeywell Aerospace since most in the network do not know what you do and cannot validate your value add due to their lack of knowledge of how business get done at the business unit. This matrixed orgranization also means that those you support do not directly affect your raises and employability. So returning to the title, if you want to rise through the ranks you can, if you want to learn technology you can, if you want to do little beyond nurturing you network to stay employed you can. What do you want?

ConsCons are highly subjective and as such are highly personal. Over my service years, the only con I consistently see is that entry to mid management performance results consistently prove that they are not leaders. Their results simply reflect macro economic conditions versus implemented strategies. A reliable personal success prediction tool is teasing out what ensures your manager will get his bonus regardless of enterprise initiatives, stakeholders needs, corporate policy, and on remote occasions the law, then deliver. You will have a long and successful career as a 1, 2, 4, or high 5 performance rating. Three years of 4s and counting.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Cote and the business unit executive leadership could see what I see. The energy, costs, and time invested to tailor the message to top management to hide, mislead, or conceal often dwarfs the efforts and contributions to solve problems and create shareholder and customer value. Mr. CEO, SBU Presidents, your message and leadership are being neutered.

Good Until Bought by Allied Signal

Staff Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsIntellectually stimulating work. Leading-edge technology in the Aerospace field. Dynamic environment, especially in the government and defense sector. Diverse and very talented engineering workforce.

ConsVery much "old boy" network as far as advancement and promotions. Horrible management style of "rank and yank" inherited from CEO Dave Cote, a devotee and apprentice of GE's Jack Welch. Employees are ranked together with peers once a year during review cycle. Bottom 10% are marked for elimination - no exceptions. Stupid and incredibly moral destroying management style. Employees are forced to compete against each other just to keep their jobs, instead of focusing on innovation and new technology.

Every year, benefits are cut down from the previous year. Management Incentive Plan sounds good on paper, but in practice management finds ways to restrict the payouts by tying to unreachable goals the average employee has no control over.

Company seems to be more interested in moving jobs to cheaper off-shore locations rather than investing in their mainland U.S. employees. Stock price seems to be the focus of the company - period.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the Jack Welch-style "rank and yank". You are losing good employees. Upper management says employees are Honeywell's best asset - just lip service.

Principal Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsInteresting work. I worked with some great people

ConsNot quite sure what management is doing. Way too much reorganization. Difficult to form any roots with so much management / group change. Also, the health benefits are not up to par at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what a direction, and stick to it for a while. I appreciate the "agile" process, but not so much for overall company direction. Please review the health benefits. I understand that is a large topic everywhere, but I would have expected better from a world class organization.

Great GM oppty

VP-GM (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsHad the opportunity to run an acquisition, was very autonomous.

ConsUnfortunately, they moved to a more matrix structure, and the GM role went away.

Fast paced environment for those who love constant change

Director (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsNot a slow old school company with lots of layers of management, Honeywell is a progressive company that is constantly changing to drive improvements, growth and the bottom line. There are no shortage for opportunities to get involved in some cutting edge initiatives.

ConsCan be overly cost conscious which sometimes drives the wrong decisions for the long run, years of no external hiring has created an aging workforce with a lack of outside thinking, ideas and innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your high cost region employees feel more valued and less like a dispensable commodity. Fix your facilities, years of budget cuts and neglect has taken a toll on facilities.

great experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsLots of training opportunities and classes.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement or movement

Meat Market

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe pay is better than average.

ConsYou'll spend most of your time fending off those who will stab you in the back to protect themselves.

Worked for Honeywell? Contribute to the Community!