Honeywell

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.2 1,617 reviews

Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote

David M. Cote

Pros
  • Good Work-Life Balance most of the time (sometimes it can get extremely hectic though)(in 122 reviews)

• Work environment is not very stressful and mostly you can choose your own projects(in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits, perks and work life balance have been slipping last few years(in 44 reviews)

• upper management doesn't involve itself in employee betterment(in 40 reviews)

1,617 Employee Reviews

Finance director

Finance Manager (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsGreat culture, training ground, offer lots of opportunity for career growth

ConsVery concerned with the bottom line at the expense of employees. very quick to cut employees for the good of the company.

Smart company

Market Research Analyst (Former Employee) Golden Valley, MN

ProsI had a great manager who cared about my professional development and measured my success based on clear goals. I was able to learn a lot about the company and interact with many different functions.

ConsA lot of employees are chronically unhappy and crabby! If you don't have a good manager it could be unbearable. It can be hard to find the right people to work with in such a large, matrixed organization.

Great Company

Engineer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsTotal compensation is impressive for a large company.

ConsSilo'd business units don't allow for collaboration

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lead Test Engineer

Lead Test Engineer (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsVery professional and Technical oriented company. Quality procedures are well established. Management treated employee without any partiality.

ConsNeed to be prepared for extended and weekend work hours.

Not The Same As AlliedSIgnal

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen it was AlliedSignal, training was second to none. They paid their employees for new ideas, work performed and provided a very productive work environment. AlliedSignal actually encouraged Six Sigma.

ConsThe culture changed after it became Honeywell

Excellent work environment

Assembler (Former Employee) Olathe, KS

Proscoworkers aside the organization and the systematic flow of all production was impressive.

ConsThe majority of their work force is contracted which tends to create some tension among employees and contract personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead! Do not hide in the shadows and pretend that it will all just disappear

Quality

ProsThe company pays very competitively

ConsPressure to meet scheduled shipments

Things have changed over the last 10 years but it is still a good place to work

ProsMany terrific people who work very hard at their jobs.
    A good place to be challenged on several levels.
    You are given the opportunity to grow as your experience level grows.

ConsSome business groups within the org. are too concerned about having a body that lives local to HQ and has an MBA versus actually hiring the right person for the position. Now those groups are at a point where product management and engineering have no experience/knowledge of our business and build products they want versus what the market requires.
    Too many processes, example - to roll out NPI generally takes 2 years (and that is using the Agile engineering process).
    Benefits continue to slip. Over the past 10 years we have gone from a company that took care of its employees to a culture of cut costs and increase margins so we can boost the stock price so our CEO and Co-Chairmen can make 200x the average employee salary. There is a balance point that needs to achieved.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overall good but little security in HVAC world.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany car, tools, pc and phone are company issued. Good people to work with.

ConsCustomers can be difficult especially when the business is open.

Honeywell TSI OK, but a little sad

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Greenbelt, MD

ProsHTSI is a small part of the huge Honeywell International company. Honeywell International is a well-run company with good stock and good benefits and all the bells and whistles. HTSI used to be called Bendix Field Engineering which was absorbed by Allied-Signal who later bought Honeywell (and took the Honeywell name for themselves). Really good people and relaxed atmosphere.

ConsHTSI seems to have lost a lot of its spirit as the distance from Bendix days has widened. It used to be a company that had a purpose -- supporting NASA ground tracking stations, but that business mostly died and HTSI didn't seem to have the talent to move from engineering services into real engineering; the place was full of managers and "procedure experts". Then another company won/stole the NASA ground station contract and knocked the wind out. I don't think of it as an engineering (software or hardware) firm; it is just very good at technology management -- at least the part of HTSI that I knew. They have government top secret work and, God knows, maybe the engineering is good there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTimes have changed and ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Purge the company of the old and if you have to succeed by moving away from engineering and into management, then do it! I think you will do very well because Honeywell International has great business practices to base everything on.

Worked for Honeywell? Contribute to the Community!