Honeywell

3.2
1,818 Reviews

Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote
David M. Cote

Pros
  • Good Work-Life Balance most of the time (sometimes it can get extremely hectic though) (in 149 reviews)

• Great opportunity to learn new technologies if you are in the right project (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough in HR - many roles require hours well beyond a 40 hour work week (in 53 reviews)

• Upper management has self interests which over ride over all consideration for company (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flex hours, 9/80 schedule. Name recognition.

Cons

Health benefits sub-par and expensive. Not avenues to transfer from one division to the other.

Could be better...

Current Employee - IT Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and challenging work...the brands are exceptional and strategic acquisitions always seem to be winners and enhance the bottom line.

Cons

Benefits are becoming a bad joke and there is no such thing as work life balance. Upper management in IT has become the mutual admiration society (they all love each other but not the actual workers).

They completely fear making a decision...time to put the big boy pants on (ladies too) and make a decision and live with the results good or bad.

Honeywell can careless about experienced long term employees

Current Employee - Electronic Technician II in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Electronic Technician II in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a safe clean place to work. The people have been through so much with Kyote's strange HOS ideas we all have that in common.

Cons

There is no such thing as a promotion at Honeywell, there are simply job postings that you must apply for. With this policy many many experienced employees must leave their department in order to get better paying positions thus causing a drain on talent and causing a strain on the departments. Because your whole raise for that year is only 0-3% your salary does not go up very fast. There are no cost of living raises, Honeywell has figured out how to make the cost of living stand still for the last 25 years. There are no Christmas bonuses and there are no suggestion awards, Honeywell calls them Kaizens and forces employees to give them 12 of your improvement ideas every year. employee reviews are a joke. It always comes down to whether or not your manager likes you and like I said it will only 0-3% while your heath care will go up about 15% every year consistently. Employees are asked to more more tasks every year, all technicians and assemblers now must sweep and mop the floor even though we have a house keeping. They contracted it out and our plant must pay them more to do their jobs so to save money we must do it.

Give Kyotes bonus to the hard working employees and put the plagiarizing, employee hating Kyote out to pasture. It will make it a better place to work.

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work culture
    Opportunities for career growth
    Flexible for employees
    Employee satisfaction is given ample importance
    Nature of work, domains/verticals are very interesting and challenging

Cons

Salary not the best.
    Trainings are not given adequate importance

Compensation can be increased, Training and employee motivation can be improved

Overall great experience, very friendly colleagues, very attractive salary for fresh graduates.

Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Brno (Czech Republic)
    Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Brno (Czech Republic)

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, possibility of working from home (not usual in the Czech Republic), amazing time flexibility (e.g. when finishing studies, last-minute vacantions, etc.). Free language courses, free pilot trainings.

Cons

Huge company equals too much paperwork. Approvals on everything. Must use Windows, must use Internet Explorer. Not using the latest-gratest technologies because they are not approved.

Great experience working at Honeywell. Loved the people.

Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for... made lots of great friends, great benefits and pay.

Cons

Overworked at times and some employees are overloaded while others are not.

Think more about the people under you they are overworked

Very easy going

I have been working at Honeywell full-time

Pros

Stable employer, good salary if you can negotiate it, very flexible time, good career opportunities, can change job within the company, international working environment. Friendly environment.

Cons

While promotion opportunities are I'd say typical (or above typical!), the associated salary increase is capped, which means you should negotiate high starting salary, providing easier way up later on. Payraise thanks to performance evaluation is useles - makes too little difference.Office location is not very good.

Salary increase should be left more in the power of direct management, than HR. The 0-x% yearly increase provides no motivation factor, when 90% of employees are in the middle of the gauss curve - make it wider.

Good place to Work nice knowledgeable people

Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Torrance, CA

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to Work nice knowledgeable people
    Good benefits
    Solid company
    Good online university in training program

Cons

some old buildings in Torrance
    Old office furniture (Was supposed to be upgraded the following year)

Once a great place before Honeywell bought it!

Former Employee - Technician IV in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Technician IV in Norcross, GA

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers a great group of people to work with! Most of those on the floor really want to put out great products. Mostly safe work enviroment. Some leadership doing their best to make things better.

Cons

Honeywell Operating System (HOS) too much a burden to product developement and production fixing things that aren't broken. Too much emphasis on metrics (which are changed often) rather than the actual work that needs to be done. Production schedules are very unrealistic and do not take into account design flaws not anticipated before hitting the assembly floor. Some managers care about those that actually do the work while others (and supervisors) only care about "making numbers" to satisfy those above them. Corporate management pretends to care about employee welfare but don't show it in practice. Benefits reduced yearly and fair raises and bonuses non-existent. Way too many wasteful meetings throughout the plant for minor issues that result in little or no solutions! Too many of those in the meetings could solve most of the problems if they'd just spend more time on the floor. The ones at the lowest levels doing all the work (sacrificing home life) are not fairly compensated. Overall....the work enviroment is not a happy one, moralel there has dropped dramatically since the Honeywell take-over, and unless some drastic changes are made soon it'll only get worse.

Personally, I wish I could have had a more positive time with Honeywell but could not take the all the negative changes I was seeing, chose to leave for my own sanity! If you have any self worth and want to enjoy your chosen career consider other companies before signing on with this one!

CEO should go to the plant and have confidential, one on one talks with the workers who are trying there best to ship good product despite all the obstacles placed before them.. Listen to their concerns and don't let VPs, directors and plant management sugar coat the issues.

Glass Ceiling

I worked at Honeywell

Pros

I had a variety of positions over several years and had the opportunity to learn about SOME aspects of the business.

Cons

My experience was one of glass ceilings. No meaningful, career development input was provided to develop my skill sets for certain positions. I was willing to put forth the effort, but opportunities remained out of reach. Discrimination is also part of the landscape as well. Merit increases were typically below co-workers with less experience.

Expand your thinking on diversity - move beyond the traditional good ol' boy network.