Honeywell

Updated Jul 27, 2014

3.2 1,623 reviews

Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote

David M. Cote

Pros
  • Good Work-Life Balance most of the time (sometimes it can get extremely hectic though) (in 125 reviews)

• Work environment is not very stressful and mostly you can choose your own projects (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits, perks and work life balance have been slipping last few years (in 44 reviews)

• upper management doesn't involve itself in employee betterment (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
1,623 Employee Reviews

Honeywell TSI OK, but a little sad

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Greenbelt, MD

ProsHTSI is a small part of the huge Honeywell International company. Honeywell International is a well-run company with good stock and good benefits and all the bells and whistles. HTSI used to be called Bendix Field Engineering which was absorbed by Allied-Signal who later bought Honeywell (and took the Honeywell name for themselves). Really good people and relaxed atmosphere.

ConsHTSI seems to have lost a lot of its spirit as the distance from Bendix days has widened. It used to be a company that had a purpose -- supporting NASA ground tracking stations, but that business mostly died and HTSI didn't seem to have the talent to move from engineering services into real engineering; the place was full of managers and "procedure experts". Then another company won/stole the NASA ground station contract and knocked the wind out. I don't think of it as an engineering (software or hardware) firm; it is just very good at technology management -- at least the part of HTSI that I knew. They have government top secret work and, God knows, maybe the engineering is good there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTimes have changed and ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Purge the company of the old and if you have to succeed by moving away from engineering and into management, then do it! I think you will do very well because Honeywell International has great business practices to base everything on.

Overall good but little security in HVAC world.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany car, tools, pc and phone are company issued. Good people to work with.

ConsCustomers can be difficult especially when the business is open.

Great overall experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs an intern, I was greatly involved in several different projects and was given actual responsibilities instead of just fetching coffee.

ConsI worked in a foreign country where I did not speak the local language. My coworkers mostly spoke english, however not speaking the language made some meetings difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegardless of the con, keep hiring foreign interns. This was an incredible experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional workers, but non-professional managers

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsI found the work in Albuquerque NM interesting and challenging. Developing Embedded applications for avionics.

ConsThe managers, in the team I was in, did not seem to want to manage people. They would avoid any chance to work directly with people. Of the 3 managers I had contact with only one truly wanted to manager people

Advice to Senior ManagementSelect managers based on their desire to manage people. Skilled workers who only want to manager jobs should not be assigned to manage people.

It's a big corporation which brings with it both pro's and cons.

ProsLarge, stable company with lots of opportunities.

ConsLarge corporation with competing metrics, at times the logical/right thing to do it thrown out the window because some Exec wants a bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of good talent working hard for you, they might not be your favorite friends so lift your head up and recognize the hardworking folks that make you look good

Honeywell is a great place to learn.

Engineer I Production (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsHoneywell helped me to develop professionally and academically.

ConsNo Comment at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo Comment at this time.

A decent place to work (Engines).

ProsGood working environment, but very dependent on area manager. Some are good, others not so much.

ConsPoor compensation, most positions start salary is around 20% of county mean income. Pay does not increase as skills and responsibility increase, you will never "top out". Single digit percentage raise with promotions and 2-3% raises every other year, which doesn't even keep up with inflation. No more pension and only .375%:1.0% 401K match for first SIX years.
    Little regard for quality of product, emphasis is put on HOS, cost savings and outsourcing jobs overseas.

Advice to Senior ManagementRedirect some of your focus from HOS and realize that quality comes with a price. Both people and products.

Where old engineers go to die

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsSome projects were interesting.
    Some managers were good.

ConsFrom a Software Engineering perspective, it was ANCIENT.
    Too much standardization between groups that had different functions (made it inefficient).
    Too much focus on process.

Advice to Senior ManagementProcess is a good thing, but there is a fine line between enough and too much. When I was at Honeywell, it was definitely TOO MUCH. As engineers we spent more time adhering to process than getting actual work done.

Too much standardization of tools was killing our efficiency as well. Just because a tool works well for one group, doesn't mean it's the best tool for every group throughout a 100,000+ employee company. There should be a bit more control to use what works at the group level.

To managers: Understand what your employees do. If you don't really know/understand, listen to them. I had a manager who didn't know much about software development (he admitted as much). He then enforced ridiculous non-sensical goals on me for my annual goals and objectives.

Typical large Corporation

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) South Bend, IN

ProsStable company. Flexible work schedule.

ConsFrustrating, non-value added work. Honeywell seems to create its own problems. Communications are not very good. Vendors do not seem to be very developed or supportive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove away from "check the box" management style to actually trying to define problems and fix them.

Only certain types of people will get promoted

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Coon Rapids, MN

ProsPeople are friendly.
    The work is fun.

ConsThere are better salaries elsewhere, and promotions only come if you brown nose your bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on quality of work, not who goes golfing with the boss.

Worked for Honeywell? Contribute to the Community!