Honeywell

3.2
1,919 Reviews

Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote
David M. Cote

Pros
  • Good Work-Life Balance most of the time (sometimes it can get extremely hectic though) (in 155 reviews)

• Great opportunity to learn new technologies if you are in the right project (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough in HR - many roles require hours well beyond a 40 hour work week (in 56 reviews)

• Upper management has self interests which over ride over all consideration for company (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Unhealthy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Honeywell full-time

Pros

Used to be good when it was Intermec. Great people locally. Management is very heavy and have unhealthy motivation and employee relation tactics.

Cons

Everything. Poor corporate culture. Lack of information. Lack of growth and promotion opportunities. They seem to want to farm out all the work while the qualified employees become disgruntled or leave.

Think long and hard about your business and people strategies. Recognize people, not process, as your true value. Motivate by empowering, not beating employees into submission or showing apathy as everyone leaves.

Great Business Strategy, Great collegues, Good opportunities

Current Employee - Procurement in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Procurement in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Senior Leadership has a great pipeline of New Technology. Collegues are nice people.

Cons

While I did not earn a promotion or lateral transfer; I did far too little networking. My fifth manager gave everyone in our group perfectly average evaluations on every criteria. The other 4 managers were great. I challenged the average rating to no avail. Nine months later I got a reduction in force. Choose your battles, wisely!

When a manager gives everyone perfectly average ratings, it is a red-flag the manager may not be engaged.

Tons of overhead.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist

I have been working at Honeywell

Pros

One of the biggest pros to the company is company match 401k and pension.

Cons

Just speaking on my personal experiences. I have to participate in an on call rotation every two week. I have an hour response time.

My advice to management would be to pay more attention to our customers and make more visits to establish a relationship with them.

Good training and friendly environment

Former Employee - Black Belt in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Black Belt in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the best of the training and good understanding of customers and the Company itself. They are not control freak so you can give ideas and innovate. The changes sometimes are not very clear but the customer focus is clear.

Cons

Narrow possibility to a better position, a lot of people with seniority, so if you want to scale positions its kind of hard. The compensation is average to the market and the perks are below market. If you are in HR or IT the possibilities for a better position are even worst.

Rotational Program

Current Employee - Aerospace Rotational Development Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Aerospace Rotational Development Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will get to figure out what you want to do as a career by rotating through 3 different functional engineering roles, meet people your age in the program who have succeeded and moved up through the company to managerial roles, and live in a great city of young professionals excelling in life. It's a good salary (I've heard higher elsewhere in full time, non-rotational roles), but it comes with a great bonus that other companies do not offer, as well as an incredible relocation package. Typically known as the "fast-track" employees who move up quickly. Company events, food truck Friday, Dave & Busters events, Employee appreciation lunches.

Cons

Unsure of where you will end up at the end of your rotation. There is typically an age gap between you and the group in your department (15-20 year gap). Health Insurance just was raised 5-8%, they lowered their contribution, got rid of vision care, and charges $1000 if you test positive for nicotine.

Ethics are bad

Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

high salary and compensation packages are average but you will never see your full bonus, so negotiate a bonus that is greater than you expect to recieve so you get what you are worth. Senior leaders threaten your bonus (hold back 10% to make you do things to get them a higher bonus for them selves). Honeywell promotes anyone and often.

Cons

Vacation is use or loose so you have to use all your vacation in the same year or lose it. If you are a hard worker you stand a good chance of losong vaction or working through your vacation. The company leaders will call you and make you work on vacation. Bonus structure is skewed so company can keep most of it and stil claim you are on a high bonus structure. Most of newly bought companies emplyees leave within the firs year due to salary or bonuses, Honeywell forgets why they bought the company in the first place.

Hire people based on long term goals not for the short term. Too many Directors and VP's hired that have no real industry experience or for any management capabilities, only for being yes men and women. Pay your employees their bonuses based on hitting their goals, not on some arbitrary metrics hidden from them or based on someone elses goals. Teh Honeywell connect website is notheing more than a Dave Cote Fan page. Focus on Employees and product, not on how well Cote does or how many times he shows up on jim framers mad money show because he and Cote are neighbors.

Tough place to maker a career

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent starting pay, very good people at a level where stuff actually gets done, great technology pipeline, excellent reputation, very profitable, flex hours and ability to work from home when needed, good place to develop experience, strong stock price

Cons

Worst medical benefits ever !!!! Most employees end up on spouse plans. Very intrusive policies. Some of the worst managers I have seen in my 25 yr career. They manage up and manage their careers only. Not a very personable place to work and very political. No real pension. Cutting benefits left and right. Work life balance can be a challenge. Lots of butt kissing and favoritism with no accountability. Very few promotions unless you jump from job to job. Arrogant business practices make customer interactions very challenging. Lots of red tape and programs that handcuff ability to deliver results. A culture that doesn't empower employees and policies that restrict creativity. Raises are miniscule and don't keep up with inflation so net pay decreases over time unless you want to move from job to job. Consensus decision process that dilutes results. If you are outspoken, watch out, it will bite you. Very poor communication. Some of the most arrogant self serving leadership anywhere. If you find a role you truly love, accept that you will stagnate in it.

Empower people and create an atmosphere that facilitates decision making and calculated risk. Trust the talent of your people and leverage that talent for an overall organization success. Select managers and directors who have people skills, are good listeners and not so wrapped up in self serving personal goals. You have a problem for long term talent retention. Walk your talk, you have little credibility at this point. Looking to move on

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Engineering Leader in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Engineering Leader in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Honeywell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Company is diverse and you can move around to get different experience without leaving the company.

Cons

work life is sometimes not balanced

This company allows you to excel in your position by giving a lot of training online and in a classroom setting

Current Employee - Senior Product Technology Specialist in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Product Technology Specialist in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are nice & excellent at their jobs, and they are willing to mentor you.

Cons

I would have to say that my #1 con was that I was not mentored or trained at all by my manager. I did get extensive training by my main mentor though.

It would be a very good idea to have the managers get more training on how to integrate a new employee in the way that the company works (all policies upfront).

Culture and treatment of people

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Metropolis, IL
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Metropolis, IL

I have been working at Honeywell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very large company with a lot of world wide influence. Salaries are generally good.

Cons

In general people are not treated very well. Benefits, specifically insurance, for a company this size are not good. Very large turnover rate a the facility I worked at.

Pay attention to your people, you say they are your most valuable asset yet you treat them as second class citizens. Your turnover rate should give a clue that you have a problem