Hood College Reviews

CEO

Student Employee Perspective

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Tutor in Frederick, MD

I worked at Hood College part-time for less than a year

Pros

Most opportunities are on-campus, which means that there is no need to drive. Pay for student workers is comparable with most similar positions in the surrounding area. Networking is another major plus, as it is such a close knit and small community that you are destined to make a great connection. Internships look great on the resume, you can build good rapport with faculty, and give back to your college!

Regarding other positions that students do not usually take, most professors and other staff are extremely content with their positions. Recent changes in scheduling have caused some discontent, but overall everyone loves being a part of the community.

Cons

It is very small, and sometimes as a student it is good to have a diverse work history. To have 4 different positions on your resume coming from Hood may not depict your ability to get out in the world.

Keep up the great work! I thoroughly enjoyed my education and work experience, and I will be applying for a position in the future.

It was what I expected from a small college, intimate working environment and flexible scheduling.

Former Employee - Supplimental Instruction Leader  in  Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Supplimental Instruction Leader in Frederick, MD

I worked at Hood College part-time for more than a year

Pros

The environment is friendly and faculty members assist you in your daily work activities.

Cons

It is a small school which means that resources can be limited.

Great place to work

I have been working at Hood College as a contractor

Pros

The hours were erratic most of the time

Cons

Strict leadership meant we were under constant pressure

Loosen up

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Probably one of my best jobs. Great environment.

Former Employee - Office Clerk  in  Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Office Clerk in Frederick, MD

I worked at Hood College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very great working environment to work at. I really enjoyed working here for the past three years. I definitely gained the professional skills to transition into a great job where I can utilize these skills.

Cons

There are no cons working here for the past three years. I was a student working here and it would have been nice to receive benefits but I was working through work-study.

A good learning experience all things considered

Current Employee - Student Assistant  in  Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Hood College as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I worked in the Accounting Department as a Student Aide/ Assistant. It was definitely a good learning experience, since I was given a wide variety of assignments and tasks to complete. I was also able to interact with staff outside of the immediate department, so I learned how the College operates.

Cons

Staff (at least Accounting) definitely played favorites. We were discouraged from talking during the day- even if we were working. It was almost as if the Asst. Comptroller wanted to hear a pin drop. Management would not correct other aides that were filing and completing other tasks improperly, which resulted in having to do the same assignment multiple times

Correct staff if mistakes are made/ provide better training.

Great school, good people.

Former Employee - Website Manager  in  Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Website Manager in Frederick, MD

I worked at Hood College

Pros

Hood College has a Beautiful Campus in a great little town. Good Benefits package and they double your 401k contributions. Free masters classes!

Cons

Lots of bureaucratic BS! Try to stay on the good side of the marketing office.

Hood is good, but could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Hood College

Pros

Higher Educaiton is a personal value and the College fulfills a niche for those who thrive in a small liberal arts setting. The benefits are great! Don't have to be a suit here.

Cons

There is no consistancy between departments re raises, promotions, flextime, etc. Lack of feedback re how individuals are doing.

Create an employee evaluation system and guidelines across all departments re flextime, hours worked per week ,etc.

Worked for Hood College? Contribute to the Community!