Hooters Reviews

Updated September 23, 2014
3.3

Hooters CEO Terry Marks
Terry Marks

Pros
  • Flexible schedule unless they were under staffed ( which was almost always) Worked with this company for 3 years (in 17 reviews)

• Also, depending on the location, you can make really good money (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, subjected to sexist comments, Management turn-over (in 15 reviews)

• too many girls on the floor during a single shift when its not busy at all (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Waitress, bartender, manager

I have been working at Hooters

Pros

I've worked for hooters for almost nine years. I have met so many great people (customers) who will be some of my life long friends. Tips are much better than most restaurants as long as you do your job, which means giving excellent service with a smile, having fun with your guests, and having a strong work ethic!

Cons

I moved my way up with the company over the years and ended up in full time mgmt. Terrible idea!! Extremely long hours for low salary pay. Trying to manage catty girls, obnoxious customers just trying to get free food, and a short staffed kitchen was too much. Very stressful and no quality of life. Stepped back down to serving. There was a corporate buy out and the company is changing everything! Have cut so many hours, cutting staff... The new company is destroying hooters. I have never seen so many dissatisfied customers or sales decline the way they have in past two years...

Quit trying to pinch pennies!! In the restaurant business you have to spend money to make money. Have more consideration for your hard working employees.

I didn't make as much as people assume, but it was a great learning experience in multi-tasking, sales, and performance.

Former Employee - Hooters Girl  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Hooters Girl in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Hooters full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's great if you're new to serving because they give you corporate training that covers a lot of the basics from service to food to alcohol that you might now learn in a family owned place. The goal is to have fun and great a great atmosphere so it teaches you how to balance all of that, and as any server knows your attitude makes a huge difference not just in your night, but in your tips.

Cons

You have to stay in shape and always come to work camera ready. They're strict on nails, hair, makeup, jewelry, tattoos, and your weight. So if you're more of a free spirit that might be a challenge. As a corporate company they have lots of rules that you might not agree with but that everybody must adhere to and sometimes all of the extra training can feel redundant. It's dirty work. Serving messy foods like plates and plates of wings and wet naps can be dirty to clean up and serve. Of course, you risk sexual advances and harassment from customers (hopefully, not staff, but it's the restaurant industry so it happens), you're judged by women in and outside the restaurant (and sometimes men), and sometimes you don't even make that much money (it's still a restaurant where you make $3/hr and are dependent on your tips for your income (I've made much more at other much less hyped places.). And finally singing and dancing on demand can sometimes either be fun to you or humiliating. It's not right for everyone.

Treat your girls with respect, understanding, and listen to their concerns and ideas,. Very importantly, make sure they always feel safe at work. Sexual harassment should NEVER be tolerated, especially not in the work place. Sales competitions with prizes are a fun way to increase sales and morale. Everyone wants just wants to feel appreciated for their hard work and recognized.

Average company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Hooters full-time for less than a year

Pros

Okay money, Good insurance, if your a young good looking female good place to make money.

Cons

The management has no real control if a girl is good looking and brings in money she is allowed to do what ever she wants, i.e. be late no show leave early, and nothing you can do.

hold everyone to the same standers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good money and opportunities

Former Employee - Hostess  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Hostess in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hooters part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy money, hostess were able to make their own tips as well as receive a tip out from servers, everyday you went to work you'd walk out with cash server or hostess, you were also able to make really decent money and meet new exciting people doing promo's, fun events, such as hooters calendar, bikini contests, etc. great food. fun job and relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Management was not very personable at this location, many girls were catty but there were other girls that were really nice, sometimes managers would miscalculate your tips and you'd walk out with less if you didn't catch it. Wearing white everyday meant easy stains. Wearing make up everyday/doing your hair everyday to fit the hooters girl role would get tiring sometimes you just want to wear your hair up when you're having a bad hair day. sometimes you'll come across weirdos and have to play it cool.

Be more professional. Be more organized. Be more friendly and personable. learn how to communicate with your employees and fellow management team

My time here was an experience of a lifetime.

Former Employee - Hooters Girl On the Floor and Bar, Trainer, Promo Girl  in  Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Hooters Girl On the Floor and Bar, Trainer, Promo Girl in Killeen, TX

I worked at Hooters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the best reasons to work here is the diversity of people you get to meet every single day, amazing people. Working with 40+ females is also a plus because you gain life long friends.

Cons

It's a very difficult environment if girls aren't getting along, but there is a very high turn-over rate so the problem solves itself.

Keep up the outstanding work!

I love almost everything about my job! So thankful for the opportunities I've had and friends I've made!

Current Employee - Hooters Girl  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Hooters Girl in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Hooters full-time for less than a year

Pros

I moved 2 hours away from home and got the job on the spot the day after I moved here. I make great great money I'm a college student living on my own and went to school full time and still completely supported myself just by working there. I get along with almost all the managers and girls I work with, so going to work is fun. In 10 months I went from never being a waitress to having all closing shifts and saving lots of money while still never ever living paycheck to paycheck!

Cons

It is just hard to work with so many hormonal girls. Also there is a certain amount of favoritism. But thats at any job.

Take image check seriously, encourage the girls to work harder and make it a more "fun" environment!!!!!!! Getting rid of the christmas lights?! Seriously :( and I think the girls that work so hard deserve more praise if you aren't going to properly punish those who are late and lazy!!!!

Good Experience

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Hooters full-time for less than a year

Pros

You meet a lot of cool people and make a lot of connections that'll become useful later on in life. It's something like a sisterhood.

Cons

Nerve wrecking when you're first starting out.

Great

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff  in  Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Independence, MO

I have been working at Hooters part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is awesome at my store. I've been there 4 years and we've had some bad ones but they usually get weeded out within a year or so.

Cons

Hooters girls are a buzzkill. Lately, management has not been great at hiring attractive girls, and many of them are terrible workers. The nature of their job makes their heads big and many are difficult to work with.

Most Hooters girls are going to suck just because of the nature of the job, but at least hire hot ones!!!

Great people, challenging, varied cultures and positive work environment.

Former Employee - Franchise Development  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Franchise Development in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hooters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The life-long experiences and friends that can be accessed around the globe.

Cons

Cannot say anything negative about this company.

Bartender, Trainer

Former Employee - Bartender  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bartender in New York, NY

I worked at Hooters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can make a lot of friends. In my experience the girls for the most part worked together and watched out for each other the best we could. We went through so much hard times together that we basically became family.

Cons

Where to begin. Upper management or corporate is a Joke. They only care about numbers and secret shoppers. They have no clue what's actually going on in the stores. The hours are super long and since the store I've worked in has been understaffed almost the entire time I basically lived at hooters. I couldn't begin to tell you how many break violations I've had...some I even asked or practically begged for a break. All the girls are overworked and management could care less. There was a point in time were I remember working with everyone as a team and that's what kept everyone motivated to get through crazy weekend shifts with only 2-3 girls and a line out the door. However, for months now things have just gone down hill. No breaks, no busser, no host, and girls literally walking out or crying in the middle of shifts because of how bad things are and they didn't get there over night. Things slowly went downhill and no one has done anything. Girls have been fired for secret shops when there were on the floor with no busser/no host/ and hardly any help. Management depending on who's there and what day it is will sometimes assist you but I doubt it. I've worked in several restaurants throughout the last 8 years and I've never seen a worse company to work for. The creepy guys and daily walkouts are the least of your worries at work. Not to mention no benifits no free meals unless it's a small salad and you'll never see a manager thankful to have you there regardless of how hard you work to keep the store running.

Visit the stores and spend more money on what's important. (Training girls and better management)
    It takes money to make money. Hooters COULD be an awesome place but if the company keeps treating there employees like this then they will never succeed.

Hooters Photos

Hooters

+ Add Photo

Worked for Hooters? Contribute to the Community!