Hoover's

Hoover's Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Hoover's President-North America Emanuele A. Conti

Emanuele A. Conti

Worked here only for a short time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsMy experience is prior to acquisition by D&B
    Great group of talented people with the right work-life balance
    Casual work environment

ConsManagement challenges. Unclear what the strategy was and what personal growth opportunities existed.

HQ didn't want Hoover's to succeed

Director (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsSmart, hard-working, nice people -- other than a few bad eggs who were allowed to remain.

ConsDun & Bradstreet seemed like it didn't know what to do with Hoover's. Only saw the CEO once, and she lied to the entire company by relating a story as if it were personal, when it actually came from a book. That was a former CEO. But the company still seems to be struggling with not keeping up with changing times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncubate some internal new businesses. Maybe one of them can keep the company from going the way of Corona typewriters or Polaroid cameras.

Awful..."From great company to sweat shop"

Acquisition Sales (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGreat people to work with, and decent pay.

ConsThe definition of micromanaging.
    ZERO Growth and complete dead end job
    A D&B company that ruined Hoovers

Advice to Senior ManagementFind another career or go work at Dell.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Leadership changes went from bad to worse - definition of MICRO manager

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsPeers were fantastic, a good group of folks have past through there over the years

ConsSpecific managers - passive aggressive, micro managing. Several people dissuaded from taking vacations etc. Comp Plans changed monthly/quarterly/ and so complicated they would schedule several hour meetings to describe all of the intricacies.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to valuing hardworking, great performing PEOPLE....not cogs in a wheel.

Dun & Bradstreet is destroying this once-proud company.

Research Editor (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsAll the free perks for employees, such as the holiday events and free bagels on Fridays. Plus, it's in Austin, Texas, which is an awesome place to live and work.

ConsAfter D&B bought the company in 2003, life was good at Hoover's for several years. Revenue and profits steadily increased year by year, until the financial crisis of 2008 hit. After that, management was constantly running scared, and the pressure to improve profitability was intense. The editorial department, once considered the company's greatest asset, was decimated by layoffs in 2010, 2011, and 2012. D&B likes to tout what it calls "financial flexibility." A middle manager once explained to me what that means. "Financial flexibility means you lose your job and I get a bonus for making my numbers," she said.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust give up. Stop calling the company Hoover's, which does a disservice to the founder, Gary Hoover. It's just another dreary outpost of D&B now.

Good work/life balance

ProsDynamic, exciting environment working with multiple sites in across US and learning new technologies.

ConsUncertainty around the future of the business given the new CEO and industry outlook.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on internal promotion and skill building than looking to external hires first.

Excellent and fun place to work

Launch Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsEmbraces Austin's culture, good money, central location, established brand, people, environment.

ConsD&B's influence on the culture

Once a great company, now ruined by D&B

Former Tier II Support (Former Employee)

ProsAdequate pay
    Generous vacation time
    There are a few good, talented people there who keep the business running, although most of them have left or been laid off or asked to leave.

ConsStarted out as a great company, but today Hoover's is little more than a hollowed-out shell/shill for D&B, whose cynical, dysfunctional corporate culture and massive bureaucracy has largely wrecked what used to be a great company and product.

Little interest in actually improving product & content quality. Zero accountability to customers. D&B shareholders are the only real customer.

For the last 5 or 6 years, only sharks, weasels, and sociopaths are able to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management at Hoover's/D&B does not take or need advice. They already know everything
    and never make mistakes. Customers and customer facing employees are irrelevant and all that matters is the stock price.

Treat you like family. Unfortunately, I felt like I was the unwanted step child.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGood people, flexible with your schedule. Work from home is available in some jobs. They treat contractors like employees. Free food anytime that they can think of a reason. The company gives to the community and some employees are really committed.

ConsThey use a lot of contractors. I was brought in on a "contract to hire". Found out that there were others in my area that were on their 3rd year of their "contract to hire". But they never know if the contract will be terminated or renewed until last minute. Mine was terminated as was many others in my group and the notice we got was minimal.

Hoover's is owned by Dun and Bradstreet but Hoover's doesn't want to admit it. They fight to be their own entity which just causes problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up and become Dun and Bradstreet. You will have better relationships with your bosses and the employees will probably be a lot happier. Also, quit abusing the "contractor" status. If the person is doing a good job, hire them. If they aren't, let them go and get new ones. But stringing along the top performers on contracts just pisses them off.

Not very good experience

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsSteady work environment, ok hours

ConsSales structure supports the salespeople that initially sign up the customers to promise them just about anything because once the deal is closed the customer gets moved on to an account manager. Salespeople are not held accountable for what they had promised so it makes dealing with unsatisfied customers more difficult for the Customer Service reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the sales structure

Worked for Hoover's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hoover's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hoover's CEO Emanuele A. Conti. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Hoover's employees.