Hope Network

Updated July 28, 2014
Updated July 28, 2014
2.7

Phillip Weaver

BHS needs to be structured like Rehabilitation Services to ensure residents have access to the best care available.

Former Employee - Advanced Residential Instructor  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Advanced Residential Instructor in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Hope Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall working in residential is a rewarding experience and being able to help people get their lives back in order and grow is the best part of the job.

Cons

Because residential staff is in a union the workers do not always put the interests of consumers first. There seems to be a disconnect between direct care staff and the rest of the organization and treatment teams. It can be difficult to not take situations personally and to leave work issues at work. There is limited room for upward movement within BHS but the benefits are decent.

Get to know the consumers better so you can advocate for their rights!

Rewarding but mismanagement of money by top management hurts programs and consumers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Hope Network part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Love the consumers. They were the best part.

Cons

Corporate building fancy, salaries too inflated at the top. The consumers suffer by money going to salaries and not programs.

You do not need flat screen TV's in every room at corporate when programs are struggling to get printing paper in the homes. Your lack of reality working for a non-profit is embarrassing and quite frankly shameful.

Caring company that lacks resources - out of touch upper management.

Former Employee - Nonprofit Program Manager
    Former Employee - Nonprofit Program Manager

I worked at Hope Network full-time

Pros

Great experience for people with minimum educational requirements, wonderful coworkers who really care, exposure to the mental health care system at all levels, people who truly do their best to take care of consumers.

Cons

Lack of support and resources from upper management, who seem to be completely out of touch with what's happening at the program level. Expected to provide top notch care with no money, time, or tools - very overworked for little pay.

You do not need new touch faucets at the corporate office while those of us in the programs are battling scabies, bed bugs, and a Norovirus spreading like wildfire, all while struggling to educate clients who are impaired cognitively by mental illness about washing and disease prevention. I mean come on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Hope Network

Former Employee - Residential Instructor  in  Macomb, MI
    Former Employee - Residential Instructor in Macomb, MI

I worked at Hope Network part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with the mentally ill, unemployed and homeless populations was great experience.

Cons

This was the most negative workplace I have ever been. Staff was disrespectful and rude to consumers, and showed no interest in the well-being of the consumer. Consumers were not encouraged to job search will in the crisis center. Housing options for after discharge from the center were not offered, and the whole morale of the staff was less than acceptable. How can consumers get back on their feet if proper support is not offered to them?

Get a clue! Just because people are mentally ill, unemployed and/or homeless does not mean they are not human! If you're going to work in social services have some compassion for the consumers! Remember one day it would be you walking in the consumers shoes!

Satisfying job

I have been working at Hope Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The wonderful clients we serve!

Cons

Stuck at cap for multiple years.

I know this company is non-profit, but it would be great to have some financial incentives and other recognition for our hard work.

If you need a job, this is the place to look.

Current Employee - Resident Advocate  in  Lowell, MI
    Current Employee - Resident Advocate in Lowell, MI

I have been working at Hope Network part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy interview process, the potential to work many hours if you want to, and the training is pretty good.

Cons

I've been working there for a month and I still don't have keys. The communication between staff and management is just not there. Plus, if you get hired on call, no one actually calls you to fill in. You have to hunt down hours on your own by looking at the schedule book, which never seems to be in one place.

Visit the place where you manage once in while.

Overall a good place to work

I have been working at Hope Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible schedule and generally a great group of people to work with.

Cons

Pay depends on who hired you and when. Generally below industry averages (good benefits though) and raises don't keep up with inflation.

You'd also have a much lower turnover of employees if you paid a competitive wage and didn't screw people out of raises. 1% doesn't even keep up with inflation and although I've had 2 "promotions", I have never gotten the pay I was told I would receive for one reason or another.

Also, get in touch with the people who bring in the money. There are a lot of unhappy clinicians.

Reading Corp Tutor

Current Employee - Reading Tutor  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Reading Tutor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hope Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons to work as a Reading Tutor is that below leveled students have a chance to become proficient readers or improve their current reading skills.

Cons

It is very disorganized. Administration is not aware of the school culture, academic level of the students, support is not readily available and school administration does not know exactly what the role and responsibilities are for the tutors.

To be consistent with members, know the school culture and administration prior to placing tutors at the school, and be available when help is needed.

A lot of work, but rewarding

Current Employee - Line Manager  in  Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Line Manager in Waterford, MI

I have been working at Hope Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are able to have a flexible schedule

Cons

A lot of work to get done

Demanding but rewarding

Former Employee - Resident Advocate  in  Lowell, MI
    Former Employee - Resident Advocate in Lowell, MI

I worked at Hope Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job provided meals on shift.
    There were bonuses based on the amount of hours worked from money left over in grants.

Cons

The consumer's could become physically aggressive.
    The job required physical management of consumers.

Increase pay

Worked for Hope Network? Contribute to the Community!