Hope Network

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Phillip Weaver

BHS needs to be structured like Rehabilitation Services to ensure residents have access to the best care available.

Advanced Residential Instructor (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsOverall working in residential is a rewarding experience and being able to help people get their lives back in order and grow is the best part of the job.

ConsBecause residential staff is in a union the workers do not always put the interests of consumers first. There seems to be a disconnect between direct care staff and the rest of the organization and treatment teams. It can be difficult to not take situations personally and to leave work issues at work. There is limited room for upward movement within BHS but the benefits are decent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the consumers better so you can advocate for their rights!

Caring company that lacks resources - out of touch upper management.

Nonprofit Program Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat experience for people with minimum educational requirements, wonderful coworkers who really care, exposure to the mental health care system at all levels, people who truly do their best to take care of consumers.

ConsLack of support and resources from upper management, who seem to be completely out of touch with what's happening at the program level. Expected to provide top notch care with no money, time, or tools - very overworked for little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou do not need new touch faucets at the corporate office while those of us in the programs are battling scabies, bed bugs, and a Norovirus spreading like wildfire, all while struggling to educate clients who are impaired cognitively by mental illness about washing and disease prevention. I mean come on.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

No Hope Network

Residential Instructor (Former Employee) Macomb, MI

ProsWorking with the mentally ill, unemployed and homeless populations was great experience.

ConsThis was the most negative workplace I have ever been. Staff was disrespectful and rude to consumers, and showed no interest in the well-being of the consumer. Consumers were not encouraged to job search will in the crisis center. Housing options for after discharge from the center were not offered, and the whole morale of the staff was less than acceptable. How can consumers get back on their feet if proper support is not offered to them?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue! Just because people are mentally ill, unemployed and/or homeless does not mean they are not human! If you're going to work in social services have some compassion for the consumers! Remember one day it would be you walking in the consumers shoes!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfying job

ProsThe wonderful clients we serve!

ConsStuck at cap for multiple years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know this company is non-profit, but it would be great to have some financial incentives and other recognition for our hard work.

If you need a job, this is the place to look.

Resident Advocate (Current Employee) Lowell, MI

ProsEasy interview process, the potential to work many hours if you want to, and the training is pretty good.

ConsI've been working there for a month and I still don't have keys. The communication between staff and management is just not there. Plus, if you get hired on call, no one actually calls you to fill in. You have to hunt down hours on your own by looking at the schedule book, which never seems to be in one place.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit the place where you manage once in while.

Overall a good place to work

ProsVery flexible schedule and generally a great group of people to work with.

ConsPay depends on who hired you and when. Generally below industry averages (good benefits though) and raises don't keep up with inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou'd also have a much lower turnover of employees if you paid a competitive wage and didn't screw people out of raises. 1% doesn't even keep up with inflation and although I've had 2 "promotions", I have never gotten the pay I was told I would receive for one reason or another.

Also, get in touch with the people who bring in the money. There are a lot of unhappy clinicians.

Reading Corp Tutor

Reading Tutor (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe best reasons to work as a Reading Tutor is that below leveled students have a chance to become proficient readers or improve their current reading skills.

ConsIt is very disorganized. Administration is not aware of the school culture, academic level of the students, support is not readily available and school administration does not know exactly what the role and responsibilities are for the tutors.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be consistent with members, know the school culture and administration prior to placing tutors at the school, and be available when help is needed.

Demanding but rewarding

Resident Advocate (Former Employee) Lowell, MI

ProsThe job provided meals on shift.
    There were bonuses based on the amount of hours worked from money left over in grants.

ConsThe consumer's could become physically aggressive.
    The job required physical management of consumers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay

A lot of work, but rewarding

Line Manager (Current Employee) Waterford, MI

ProsYou are able to have a flexible schedule

ConsA lot of work to get done

Great heart in the people who work there, but the executives are not always the most in touch or responsive.

Corporate (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThe people who work there have a great passion for what they do and are good to each other. Has good benefits and great vacation time

ConsThe executives are a little out of touch, but do make a half hearted attempt to connect with the other employees. Direct care work doesn't pay incredibly well.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like the executives keep to their own little club in the "Coaches Corner" and don't really have much real contact with the employees at the company. Especially not in any kind of way where feed back can be provided to them.

Worked for Hope Network? Contribute to the Community!