Hopelink

Updated Mar 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marilyn Mason-Plunkett

It was a good experience with caring people.

Driver (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsThey try to help people.

ConsThey do not pay that well.

(Most)Management is not so good!

Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsI loved my job! Pay was not too bad. It was fun, and I really liked several of my coworkers. .

ConsThe upper level management was absolutely horrible. So much back stabbing, and lying! I didn't realize just how bad I was being treated from them until I left the company and started working at a different company. And all I can think of now is, why didn't I leave sooner - which is so sad. I know there are many other employees still working there that feel the same way!

Advice to Senior ManagementCHANGE! Its not working!

The people really care

Driver (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsPeople their care about you and your well-being. As an employee, the company has EXCELLENT benefits!!!!!!! I have, and will continue to recommend this employer to anyone and everyone looking for a job.

ConsI don't have any...yet, its a wonderful company to work for! If any, just make sure communication is key....that's the only thing that hurts a little.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, communicate, communicate!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

From bad to worse

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsHelping people can really make you feel good. Also working with people highly intelligent and caring.

ConsVery low pay, abusive management. There is no better word for that than abuse.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce workplace bullying. If at all possible. And really look at those surveys people fill out each year. Or at least some of them do. Those who still believe the surveys are anonymous.

They do good work in the community but it is not a good place to work

Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Kirkland, WA

ProsYou will get to help people and feel good about what you do. You will get to work with a diverse population.

ConsManagement was abusive. I saw this in multiple people and departments. There a lot of dissatisfied people who work here and it effects the work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour HR department is not effective at identifying and dealing with problems.

Not Bad

ProsFamily type atmosphere. Supportive work environment. Lots of upper and lateral movement.

ConsThis is a hard place to have a work/life balance. You give this place an inch and they will take a mile.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down, plan ahead, listen to staff suggestions on how to improve communication; do not just make assumptions on how to improve.

Working at Hopelink

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsAmazing non-profit social service agency doing good work for the community. Alot of highly dedicated employees that really care about the clients they serve. Excellent benefit package which helps compensate for lower pay.

ConsAs with most non-proft agencies, compensation is lower the market even though employees work just as hard and as many hours as needed to get the job done. Low administrative costs which means more money goes to help/service the client in need (this is a positive) but also accounts for the lower pay. There is a fair amount of turnover in the hourly positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote diversity in the leadership ranks at Hopelink. Offer more flexibilty to employees for time off and modified work schedules. This helps compensate for the lower pay.

A tough place to make a difference

Development Assistant (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsIt can feel good to be part of an organization that is helping people in need in the community. Hopelink really does that through the many types of services it provides to people in need, from food to shelter to transportation to tutoring and life skills.
    Many Hopelink employees are committed to the organization's mission of serving people, and do their best to accomplish it.
    In some groups, there can be a good sense of teamwork, though things vary greatly from group to group and department to department.

ConsThe organization turns away many people in need because it simply does not have the resources to serve them. This problem is especially serious when times are bad economically. Then, there are fewer donations and yet there are more people who need to help. Even though the organization does help many people get by and helps a small number of people turn their lives around, Hopelink simply cannot make a significant dent in the problems of homelessness and poverty in the area where it operates. It often seems like a band aid, and this can be demoralizing.
    Hopelink is generally reluctant to get involved in issues in the community that can be controversial, such as tent cities of homeless people. However, when homelessness is so prevalent and the major social services organization in the area is afraid to talk about it, it loses much of its relevance.
    There are few opportunities for advancement for most employees. It is pretty hierarchical and there usually isn't a chance to develop one's career and move up. HR is pretty useless in terms of training or help with career development -- they offer occasional touchy feely programs, but nothing helpful. HR can also be petty. I saw one back-office employee (a very hard-working and respected woman who happened to be a single mother) punished for a hair color that HR found unacceptable. It seemed the height of hypocrisy that she should have to worry about providing for her children because Hopelink's HR department didn't like her appearance, especially since she didn't have contact with the public.
    Pay at most jobs at Hopelink is poor. In fact, many employees earn so little that they would be eligible for many of the organization's services. Only directors seemed to be paid adequately.
    Health insurance is not very affordable for many Hopelink employees, particularly for their family members. For low-paid employees, the lack of subsidy for insurance premiums for family members can make them almost as vulnerable as some of the people the organization is meant to serve.
    Communication and coordination across departments is generally inadequate. Transportation, for example, views itself as almost a separate organization and is not all that well integrated into the rest of Hopelink.
    There is little innovation and many people seem to feel that the safest way to work is to keep doing things the way that they have always been done. There seems to be a concern that upper management will punish people who try to innovate, even if the old way is not working well.
    There is high turnover in many non-managerial positions. Dissatisfaction with compensation and other issues mentioned above surely contribute to this, but management doesn't seem to take these seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople come to Hopelink with a lot to offer and a strong desire to serve. If their ideas are not valued, if they are not given opportunities to advance, and if they are not given adequate compensation and health benefits, they leave. Rather than continuing this high employee turnover, Hopelink should take steps to value the employees it already has. Their ideas could help the organization to make more of a difference in the community.

Worked for Hopelink? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hopelink reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hopelink CEO Marilyn Mason-Plunkett. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Hopelink employees.