Horace Mann

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
2.4

Marita Zuraitis

Pros
  • good benefits, vacation, industry designation, co-workers and friendly environment (in 7 reviews)

• 4 day work week and starting pay is good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The health insurance is expensive (in 6 reviews)

• Performance reviews very inconsistent across teams and many managers play favorites (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid company undergoing directional changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will learn how to deal with change within your department and other departments you work with closely. Great opportunity to learn the P&C business if you are willing to walk around and talk to people.

Decent retirement benefits and paid days off. Bonus structure is generous for lower ranks.

CEO has a vision of how to grow an already profitable company.

Cons

Change - constant, frequent, disruptive, sometimes unfocused change. Management has good ideas on how to implement Senior Leadership's vision, but difficulty with smooth execution (one department has gone through 3 restructurings this year alone).

Very title-heavy organization. I've never seen a company with so many AVP's.

Incentives are less than industry average for my specialty; low cost of living locally, so the balance isn't too far off the mark. Documentation and training lag behind directional changes. There is little room for vertical advancement; must switch departments to grow professionally. Lack of adequate communication about directional and org changes.

I'll mention the same thing I've read in other reviews: management is quick to say "changes are coming, hang in there", but beneficial change is slow to come. I suspect this is due to the bureaucracy of HR, or senior management, and not the choice of the lower-level managers.

All-in-all, this is a solid company that is undergoing significant changes due to a new CEO that came on board in 2013. The new leadership seems to be banking on new systems to solve their ills without understanding a reasonable timetable to complete a systems migration project. The current system is grossly outdated and the products we offer are somewhat limited by system constraints. Because of the direction the company is headed, the systems migration project is getting seemingly unlimited $ and new personnel while our department is shrinking due to attrition from those leaving for other opportunities.

Train, execute, and pay/promote for performance.

The new system is a great future solution, but don't forget the short-term needs of departments and employees.

Keep heading us in the right direction; empower the managers below and hold them accountable to get the departments in shape and on board.

Create promotional opportunities to grow the company from within. Allow people to grow within their departments instead of necessitating departmental switching for growth opportunities.

Hold lackluster performers accountable for their missteps. Education, accountability, and execution are what will get the company where the CEO wants us to go.

Some What of a struggle

Former Employee - Agent in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a dfined market(educators) that you can target which is better than cold calling.

Cons

The products are limited and not very competitive, also educators are typically finacially strapped.

revamp your products and invest more into marketing.

Went from great to worse.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Retirement Benefits have made the long time I was there easier. At least I left with something to show for.

Cons

Too many chiefs that get paid really well for doing nothing. They do not listen to their agents and employees and every week try and change different strategies. One hand does not know what the other is doing!! It amazes me how long they have existed and how they are able to get things done on the fly. Their rates used to be good, however, that is not the case anymore. In addition, customer service is a thing of the past. They really don't care about their customers!!

Start listening to your employees who are in the trenches and can see and hear what is going on in the field. Get rid of many of the chiefs that do nothing an collect a nice paycheck. Trim the fat.

Like our nation, sometimes change isn't for the better

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. There are some good people that have been employed for numerous years. Horace Mann is still one of the larger employers in Springfield. Several options for insurance even though it is expensive.

Cons

In the past year, we have made plans to outsource all of our major software packages all to different vendors! People are being put in charge of areas they know nothing about. Some being promoted are a walking lawsuit for sexual harassment, Favoritism is out of control for some managers that never should have been made managers. Communication and transparency could not be any worse, even in the same department.

I don't know at this point. It seems like one bad decision after another. Everyone feels like a huge layoff is coming in multiple areas. If that is the plan, please communicate it.

Long term dissappointment - Do not work here

I worked at Horace Mann

Pros

I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with it

Cons

Low pay, lousy medical insurance, management was clueless, the staff taught her. Technology is vastly out dated

Evaluate your direct reports and don't allow them to write their own performance reviews, be aware of what is going on with your management team

The only thing changing is the number of new VPs that get hired.

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice building, convenient parking. Continuing education for industry certifications are paid for.

Cons

Benefits are terrible and employee cost is very high - 18% increase for health insurance this year plus an increase in the detectible, after double digit cost increases last year. The pay scale has not been raised for job grades for over 5 years. Raises are low, even if you receive an excellent review. Work life balance is non existent, you're expected to be there late and come in on weekends without comp time or recognition or good pay. Culture is AWFUL, accusatory and threatening whenever someone raises a question about "why are we doing this?" with terrible communication. The only thing changing is who is in favor, and which VP's spouse or child gets hired by their friend in another department.

Stop surveying employees about what we think of the company, and then telling us we are all wrong. Listen to the employees who are not officers and make changes that make a difference. Stop hiring relatives of highly compensated people into jobs that didn't exist until their relative wanted a job. Be open and honest, communicate and have conversations instead of dictating. Be open to hearing that maybe you're not doing everything right. Be fair. Be consistent.

I found them to be dishonest

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a nice match for the 401K program. They have decent medical , the lunch room is nice and big for pot luck lunches.

Cons

The management seem to tell you anything you want to hear , when in reality something else is going on behind the scenes.The constant telling you to just bear with us changes are coming and they are going to make things better, gets old as the changes have been coming for over 2 years and they are not getting better . Fellow co- workers are leaving in record amounts, as they are tired of being beat down waiting for the good in the changes. Their pay grade is extremely low compared to other companies in this industry.

Say what you mean and mean what you say! A more honest work environment would help you to maintain your workers.

When Horace Mann comes calling, run away, hang up the phone.

Former Employee - Claims Counselor in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Counselor in Irving, TX

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm at a loss to think of one.

Cons

Horace Mann is a terrible place to work. If you like working like a CAT adjuster for the pay of a customer service specialist, by all means, take this job. Otherwise run away. Management is retaliatory, and one minute will be nice to you, then fire you the next. There's a reason why the department of insurance is investigating this company. Salary is below average. Temps make more money than you will, and temps get OT. Do not recommend this company. Run away. Run far away.

remove upper management and start over. They are running your company to the ground with unethical behavior and shady practices.

Great starting point

I worked at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

Friendly people - Most people that work at Horace Mann are very pleasant and are committed to the company effort to better serve educators' insurance needs

Solid benefits - Benefits are a bit more expensive than most places but they are very solid. Pension + 401k, Health, Dental, Vision, Pet, Life, etc.

Job variety - There is great potential to work in different areas inside the company if you wish

Cons

Tough politics - Politics make it very hard for the company to make any huge strides. Always moving in baby steps.

Spotty management - Some managers are notorious for protecting bad employees and not effectively managing their areas to the point that it becomes a detriment to the company as a whole

Rigid paygrades - The focus on being "fair" prevents exceptional workers from earning more than average or below average workers

Politics dominates over good management, integrity, good claims handling and intelligence.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

Some very nice, smart co-workers. Good benefits.

Cons

Unfortunately it's the nice smart employees who work hard, have integrity, and are good at claims adjusting that are leaving in the PD department. Very uneven workloads and then the employees with the high workloads are the ones being targeted as not doing enough. Employees leaving are not being replaced and temps are hired to do busy work, not giving the adjusters the real help they need. If a temp. figures this out, they are gone. Maybe management's plan is to stop writing auto claims and open up a coffee shop because eventually the remaining employees will be better suited for that environment..

Pay attention to what is going on in the PD department if you do not want good employees to continue leaving. If that is your goal, keep doing what you're doing- nothing to stop the politics and undermining of good employees.