Horace Mann Reviews

Updated July 16, 2014
Updated July 16, 2014

2.6

Marita Zuraitis

Pros
  • good benefits, vacation, industry designation, co-workers and friendly environment (in 7 reviews)

• 4 day work week and starting pay is good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They enforce rules that don't even exist and will give bad performance reviews based on rules that don't exist (in 6 reviews)

• The health insurance is expensive (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Unrealistic expectations without providing the tools necessary.

Former Employee - Claims Counselor
    Former Employee - Claims Counselor

I worked at Horace Mann full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair Pay, 401k match, nice coworkers, willing to make drastic changes under new leadership

Cons

TERRIBLE training, old technology, detached upper management , takes far too long to fill empty seats putting burden on the employees that are still working everyday.

Don't wait 9 months to fill the positions of people that have left it puts too large a burden on those that had tried to stay the course.

The left doesn't know what the right is doing.

Current Employee - Claims Counselor  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Counselor in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is TRYING to get back on track and keep their employees.

Cons

The workload is overwhelming. The supervisors insist you cannot leave your job for the day until ALL your phone calls have been returned, ALL your new contacts have been made, etc...Its ridiculous. The employees are so busy working other people's desk that they can't work their own. While the employees sit buried in paperwork and being criticized by their boss, the supervisors sit at their desk and don't offer any kind of assistance. A normal work day is 11+ hours AND Saturdays. What the company needs to do is focus on their internal customer and stop treating their employees like they are making sweat shirts for a living. Get rid of the supervisors and hire some that know what their doing. Turnover and morale is horrible.

Do something instead of saying your doing something.

Summer Marketing Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann as an intern for less than a year

Pros

friendly staff and management, flexible work schedule, fun and challenging work, warm welcome from all staff and employees

Cons

Sometimes the work that was given could be considered monotonous. Some times not very clear with deadlines. Older staff

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Small personal lines insurance company.

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst  in  Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance, good compensation

Cons

Limited opportunities for career growth.

Very satisfy and challenging

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, salary, and bonus program

Cons

Moderately stressful work environment, some managers inexperienced

Concrentrate on employee rentention

The only thing consistent is change

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

401k and pension plan. Great coworkers on the employee level.

Cons

Constant turnover, very limited growth opportunity, raises are minimal. Too many management level employees and not enough adjusters to actually do the work.

Listen to the employees. Review the compensation plan. Need better and more affordable health insurance.

Wonderful people + woeful management = bipolar company

Former Employee - P&C Actuary  in  Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - P&C Actuary in Springfield, IL

I worked at Horace Mann full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Coworkers aren't just people, they become your friends. Good vacation/sick/personal time even for new hires. Big company in a small town (100K population) so traffic isn't hard. Free parking, flexible hours, big donator to community and target market. Yearly bonus when targets are hit.

Cons

Technology is hilariously old, system run on mainframes from 1950s/60s. Insanely hard to get management to actually do anything that moves the company forward. Way too much management, red tape, and lack of interest in new ideas. Too many upper-level folks from All State, State Farm, etc. bringing their cronies in. This is HM, not AS or SF, so run it as such!

Job descriptions change yearly, but you never actually do those things. Seating arrangements hardly make sense, so much change in personnel makes your team too fluid to really gel. Performance reviews are a perpetual joke. No matter your skill level or knowledge, they'll can you if they want to. Big brain drain recently: too many drones, not enough innovators, frustration sets in quickly among those who want to move forward instead of stagnate personally and in your career.

Cut your numbers in half. Then cut your pay about 25% and distribute it where it belongs -- the employees who actually do the work. Listen to your employees -- if they tell you not to hire someone (twice!), don't! And for the love of god, bite the financial bullet and upgrade your technology to the 21st (or at least 20th) century.

No problems here

I worked at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

The office atmosphere is very friendly and people tend to get along. The amount of work you are given can be handled easily if you stay on task.

Cons

Springfield is a very boring city unless you love Abraham Lincoln and everything that has to do with him.

Keep up the good work

Never work here. Your life will go downhill fast

Current Employee - Claims Counselor  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Counselor in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My co-workers efforts amazing. Good people with good hearts. Understand I'm only speaking of frontline workers

Cons

Let's start with the interview- I was flat out lied to. I'm not a claims adjuster, I'm a receptionist. I answer phones all day for mostly things that do not directly relate to my job. I was told that I would adjust property damage claims. Instead of adjusting claims, my job is a loss report taker and administrative assistant. If time allows between calls, I can attempt to settle a claim which is rare. I was told that I would work 40 hours per week...HAAAA! If I work just 40 hours, my job will be on the line. I'd hate to be a customer and file a claim with this office like it is.

This place is turning into a ghost town. All the good ones left. All of them! If you have insurance expertise this is not the place. Actually, this is not a place to come get insurance experience either. You will not learn how to be an adjuster at Horace Mann.

The management team is sad. No concept of insurance , customer service or leadership. They make stuff up as they go and are failing miserably at their positions.

You'll regret the decision to work here if you accept a claims position.

Senior leadership needs to strip the Dallas office of all of the current managers because they have ruined the p and c operation. The temps that you all are bringing in are your only hope because there will be a mass quitting spree of the remaining employees. We are looking for better jobs.

Upper management is out of touch, long hours, low pay, RUN Away!

Current Employee - Adjuster - Counselor  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Adjuster - Counselor in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice Office, good co-workers and good benefits.

Cons

As an adjuster/counselor, plan on working 10 hours a day. Everyone, including the clerical and Team Leaders are beat down from the workload. Turnover is high because no overtime is paid, yet expected. Its depressing to see hood people miserable, with no opportunity for advancement.

Appreciate your employees, hire enough staff to allow your employees to work an 8 hour day, and evaluate current employee salaries.

Worked for Horace Mann? Contribute to the Community!