Horace Mann

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
2.4

Marita Zuraitis

Pros
  • good benefits, vacation, industry designation, co-workers and friendly environment (in 7 reviews)

• 4 day work week and starting pay is good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The health insurance is expensive (in 6 reviews)

• Performance reviews very inconsistent across teams and many managers play favorites (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Summer Marketing Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

friendly staff and management, flexible work schedule, fun and challenging work, warm welcome from all staff and employees

Cons

Sometimes the work that was given could be considered monotonous. Some times not very clear with deadlines. Older staff

Small personal lines insurance company.

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, good compensation

Cons

Limited opportunities for career growth.

Very satisfy and challenging

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, salary, and bonus program

Cons

Moderately stressful work environment, some managers inexperienced

Concrentrate on employee rentention

The only thing consistent is change

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

401k and pension plan. Great coworkers on the employee level.

Cons

Constant turnover, very limited growth opportunity, raises are minimal. Too many management level employees and not enough adjusters to actually do the work.

Listen to the employees. Review the compensation plan. Need better and more affordable health insurance.

Wonderful people + woeful management = bipolar company

Former Employee - P&C Actuary in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - P&C Actuary in Springfield, IL

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers aren't just people, they become your friends. Good vacation/sick/personal time even for new hires. Big company in a small town (100K population) so traffic isn't hard. Free parking, flexible hours, big donator to community and target market. Yearly bonus when targets are hit.

Cons

Technology is hilariously old, system run on mainframes from 1950s/60s. Insanely hard to get management to actually do anything that moves the company forward. Way too much management, red tape, and lack of interest in new ideas. Too many upper-level folks from All State, State Farm, etc. bringing their cronies in. This is HM, not AS or SF, so run it as such!

Job descriptions change yearly, but you never actually do those things. Seating arrangements hardly make sense, so much change in personnel makes your team too fluid to really gel. Performance reviews are a perpetual joke. No matter your skill level or knowledge, they'll can you if they want to. Big brain drain recently: too many drones, not enough innovators, frustration sets in quickly among those who want to move forward instead of stagnate personally and in your career.

Cut your numbers in half. Then cut your pay about 25% and distribute it where it belongs -- the employees who actually do the work. Listen to your employees -- if they tell you not to hire someone (twice!), don't! And for the love of god, bite the financial bullet and upgrade your technology to the 21st (or at least 20th) century.

No problems here

I worked at Horace Mann full-time

Pros

The office atmosphere is very friendly and people tend to get along. The amount of work you are given can be handled easily if you stay on task.

Cons

Springfield is a very boring city unless you love Abraham Lincoln and everything that has to do with him.

Keep up the good work

Never work here. Your life will go downhill fast

Current Employee - Claims Counselor in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Counselor in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers efforts amazing. Good people with good hearts. Understand I'm only speaking of frontline workers

Cons

Let's start with the interview- I was flat out lied to. I'm not a claims adjuster, I'm a receptionist. I answer phones all day for mostly things that do not directly relate to my job. I was told that I would adjust property damage claims. Instead of adjusting claims, my job is a loss report taker and administrative assistant. If time allows between calls, I can attempt to settle a claim which is rare. I was told that I would work 40 hours per week...HAAAA! If I work just 40 hours, my job will be on the line. I'd hate to be a customer and file a claim with this office like it is.

This place is turning into a ghost town. All the good ones left. All of them! If you have insurance expertise this is not the place. Actually, this is not a place to come get insurance experience either. You will not learn how to be an adjuster at Horace Mann.

The management team is sad. No concept of insurance , customer service or leadership. They make stuff up as they go and are failing miserably at their positions.

You'll regret the decision to work here if you accept a claims position.

Senior leadership needs to strip the Dallas office of all of the current managers because they have ruined the p and c operation. The temps that you all are bringing in are your only hope because there will be a mass quitting spree of the remaining employees. We are looking for better jobs.

Upper management is out of touch, long hours, low pay, RUN Away!

Current Employee - Adjuster - Counselor in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Adjuster - Counselor in Irving, TX

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Office, good co-workers and good benefits.

Cons

As an adjuster/counselor, plan on working 10 hours a day. Everyone, including the clerical and Team Leaders are beat down from the workload. Turnover is high because no overtime is paid, yet expected. Its depressing to see hood people miserable, with no opportunity for advancement.

Appreciate your employees, hire enough staff to allow your employees to work an 8 hour day, and evaluate current employee salaries.

Fantastic company focused on the needs of Educators.

I have been working at Horace Mann

Pros

There are great people working there.

Cons

The compensation is below industry averages.

Many, many many Problems!

Current Employee - Claims Counselor in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Claims Counselor in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A way to put gas in your car and food on your table.

Cons

A company stuck in a time warp. Technology is handicapping this company. Younger individuals will struggle in any role because the technology and management decisions will prevent you from doing your job. Educators and agents complain frequently. Co workers in the Springfield building are running for the doors. Any five star ratings are done by somebody in management trying to make the company look good. It's really in shambles and they know it. The sad faces that you see as you walk through the cubicles will tell the story. Run for you r lives.

A complete transformation is what this company needs right now. Not yesterday. Leaders lack leadership. It's time to get bought out or just leave the insurance business. It's too late to make incremental changes. Employees and investors deserve more.