Horace Mann Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Marita Zuraitis

Pros
  • Nice Office, good co-workers and good benefits (in 7 reviews)

• most actually care about our target market (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The health insurance is expensive (in 6 reviews)

• Performance reviews very inconsistent across teams and many managers play favorites (in 6 reviews)

1. Member of Contact Center Support Staff (Mid Level)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people that work at Horace Mann are great. Good benefits, and liberal vacation time.

Cons

The company is currently going through many changes. Favoritism is still a big issue. When applying for internal positions it takes forever to hear whether you will be interviewed if you hear at all. Lower level employees are treated as though they do not matter. Many highly experienced employees have been laid off due to job elimination, and this has left huge gaps. Many of the people in upper management overtly show disdain for lower level employees suggestions and opinions.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

chaos, not an enriching environment

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

niche market, teacher and student recognition programs.

Cons

lack of management commitment to original company focus. High turnover and lack of concern and care about customer service, claims handling, and agency management.

Advice to Management

Focus on caring about your employees, agents, and customers.

Deplorable Culture, Appalling Management

Current Employee - Analyst in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a trailblazer, you may be able to help HM with some kind of turnaround that they desperately require.

Cons

This is NOT a "great" or "good" company. I'm at a loss for words at how dismal this company is. There have been promises of change for the last 5 years but the issues have worsened. The culture of Horace Mann will have you sick by the end of each work day. The management that is in place has no idea what they are doing and they make up things as they go. I have been here for over 7 years and the company is worse than its ever been as of May 2015. The revolving door of employees is the clearest sign that this is not a good company. People are quitting left and right because there are just so many problems. Wrinkles, grey hair and high blood pressure is all I have to show for my 7 years tenure.

Advice to Management

Hire management that is personable and ethical. Can you hire trainers that actually train? Stop the unfair performance reviews across the board. Tell employees what's really going on and stop keeping secrets. Fix the technology, fix the technology, fix the technology. End the high school like favoritism. Hire employees that actually care about their jobs. Does the CEO care about the employees OR does she just care about stock shareholders and investors?

Overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Manager in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Springfield, IL

Pros

You'll hear employees talk about "The Horace Mann Family". That's exactly what it feels like, a family. The people are the best asset this company has. There is a genuine desire here to help others succeed. It's rare that you'll find someone not willing to help a customer or fellow employee. The benefits are decent. Vacation time is a bit above average. There are plenty of opportunities for development and education, if you want them.

Cons

Be prepared for ever changing priorities. Many ideas and processes barely implement before being scrapped and new processes and ideas begin being formulated. Lots of restructuring is taking place. Technology is extremely outdated, but is in the beginning stages of being updated

Advice to Management

Work with your employees strengths, and listen to them.

Mostly positive work atmosphere and good benefits.

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Springfield, IL

Pros

The culture is pretty amazing. They stand behind their mission statement of protecting the short and long term goals of educators. Starting off, you receive quite a lot of paid time off which is nice for switching jobs where you had vacation built up already

Cons

They tend to "restructure" departments fairly frequently, so management and key players change often. A recent (since late 2013) trend has been downsizing when these restructures happen. While the benefits are good, the pay is below what I would consider average for similar companies in similar size cities.

Like our nation, sometimes change isn't for the better

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. There are some good people that have been employed for numerous years. Horace Mann is still one of the larger employers in Springfield. Several options for insurance even though it is expensive.

Cons

In the past year, we have made plans to outsource all of our major software packages all to different vendors! People are being put in charge of areas they know nothing about. Some being promoted are a walking lawsuit for sexual harassment, Favoritism is out of control for some managers that never should have been made managers. Communication and transparency could not be any worse, even in the same department.

Advice to Management

I don't know at this point. It seems like one bad decision after another. Everyone feels like a huge layoff is coming in multiple areas. If that is the plan, please communicate it.

8. Solid company undergoing directional changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn how to deal with change within your department and other departments you work with closely. Great opportunity to learn the P&C business if you are willing to walk around and talk to people. Decent retirement benefits and paid days off. Bonus structure is generous for lower ranks. CEO has a vision of how to grow an already profitable company.

Cons

Change - constant, frequent, disruptive, sometimes unfocused change. Management has good ideas on how to implement Senior Leadership's vision, but difficulty with smooth execution (one department has gone through 3 restructurings this year alone). Very title-heavy organization. I've never seen a company with so many AVP's. Incentives are less than industry average for my specialty; low cost of living locally, so the balance isn't too far off the mark. Documentation and training lag behind directional changes. There is little room for vertical advancement; must switch departments to grow professionally. Lack of adequate communication about directional and org changes. I'll mention the same thing I've read in other reviews: management is quick to say "changes are coming, hang in there", but beneficial change is slow to come. I suspect this is due to the bureaucracy of HR, or senior management, and not the choice of the lower-level managers. All-in-all, this is a solid company that is undergoing significant changes due to a new CEO that came on board in 2013. The new leadership seems to be banking on new systems to solve their ills without understanding a reasonable timetable to complete a systems migration project. The current system is grossly outdated and the products we offer are somewhat limited by system constraints. Because of the direction the company is headed, the systems migration project is getting seemingly unlimited $ and new personnel while our department is shrinking due to attrition from those leaving for other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Train, execute, and pay/promote for performance. The new system is a great future solution, but don't forget the short-term needs of departments and employees. Keep heading us in the right direction; empower the managers below and hold them accountable to get the departments in shape and on board. Create promotional opportunities to grow the company from within. Allow people to grow within their departments instead of necessitating departmental switching for growth opportunities. Hold lackluster performers accountable for their missteps. Education, accountability, and execution are what will get the company where the CEO wants us to go.

9. Company poised for improvement

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO, improved distribution marketplace, greater focus on life cycle for target market, emphasis on teamwork model concepts, good benefits, and industry education programs

Cons

Challenging technology systems that undermine processes and improvements. Various layers of organizational structure that impedes delivery on Customer experience and processes. Work life balance is challenging and needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Continue to instill the company's brand message, throughout the target market life cycle and life experiences. Invest in distribution force, technology, training, education, claims, operations and sales. Reevaluate the emphasis on layers of VPs in the company ranks and how each supports the company's goals and directions.

10. Good and getting better

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, salary, location, focus on educators

Cons

Some old school management philosophies and bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Aggressively change old school tendancies

11. Small personal lines insurance company.

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Horace Mann full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, good compensation

Cons

Limited opportunities for career growth.

RSS Feed </> Embed