Horizon Air Reviews

3.6
Horizon Air CEO Brad Tilden
Brad Tilden

1. Intern - Compliance Specialist

Pros

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. I have learned a lot about my major and the airline industry through this internship

Cons

I do not have cons for right now. One thing I have noticed is that some employees seem to be low on morale right now with regards to how Alaska Air Group is treating Horizon.

2. Passenger Service Agent

Current Employee - Passenger Service Agent
    Current Employee - Passenger Service Agent

I have been working at Horizon Air part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly staff, family oriented environment

Cons

Schedule changes 4 times a year, high level of stress at times

Advice to Management

Offer more competitive pay, more communication in regards to growth opportunities within the company.

Potentially a great company to work for

Current Employee - Ground Service Agent in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Ground Service Agent in Sacramento, CA

Pros

- Cheap travel perks are technically still available to employees - incremental raises based on service time - great coworkers

Cons

- pay is downright shameful - lack of company identity - despite the rhetoric: no one cares about safety. being on-time is all that anyone with the power to change anything cares about. - Its basically impossible to use travel benefits anymore. - Zero flexibility in work/life balance. Have had coworkers disciplined for leaving work for the birth of their CHILD. - You absolutely will be waking up either between 3am-5am or working until 11pm-2am. - Incredibly dangerous work from a musculoskeletal standpoint.

Advice to Management

Stop cultivating this ridiculous sense of elitism from within. Understand that there's a difference between pride and elitism. Cool it with the rhetoric. It's almost totalitarian, in a way. I'm sure it's great for you, having employees so drunk off the vitriol that they're willing to do ANYTHING for the company, but it's kind of creepy from a third-person perspective. I used to love working for Horizon Air, but around 2011 is when Horizon Air started taking it too far. Also, you need to understand how dangerous working on the ramp actually is. Don't be so surprised when employees become injured.

5. Passenger Service agent

Former Employee - Agent in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Agent in Portland, OR

I worked at Horizon Air part-time

Pros

Flexible schedules, great flight benefits, fun atmosphere.

Cons

No room for advancement unless move to Seattle; flights too full to get on and use benefits, low pay. Many flight cancellations and overbooking lead to unpleasant work days.

Advice to Management

Back up your employees!

Ground Service Agent

Current Employee - Ground Service Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Ground Service Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Horizon Air (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything is awesome! Good hours great coworkers

Cons

Can't think of any cons about the company

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work !

Fun, low wage job with great benefits

Current Employee - Ground Service/Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Ground Service/Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Horizon Air full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of people who make this a career, and it's easy to see why. Flight benefits are awesome. But Horizon also has a much better benefits package in general compared with other low wage work...health, dental, vision, commuter benefits, lots of discounts, quarterly bonuses...I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Horizon also has some great people, and management really does try to make it a fun and positive work environment. The paid vacation accrues quickly, and boy, when it's vacation time, the world is your oyster. A little known fact outside the airline industry is that nearly all airlines offer deep discounts to employees of other airlines. Horizon employees travel the world, flying standby and paying peanuts. Like I said, it's easy to see why people make this a career. What's not so easy to see is HOW they make it a career. Read on...

Cons

The vast majority of career Horizon employees have some other source of income. Period. You can't make a living at this job. There are a number of military retirees, young adults who still live with their parents, and people working two, even three jobs. And that's just how it is. In order to keep airfare low and keep the company viable, the airlines have to control costs. So rather than monetary compensation, they offer something that they can give away essentially for free: flying! Kudos to Horizon for not contracting out their customer service and ground service jobs like so many other airlines have done. Still, I would love to see some way for standout employees to boost their income, even just a little. Read on...

Advice to Management

I work hard because it's in my nature to, and the satisfaction of a job well done is its own reward. My main frustration during my time at this company has been that there is almost no incentive for individuals to work hard, take on extra projects, gain extra skills, etc. When I first started, my supervisors saw potential in me and I was offered extra training and extra responsibilities and duties. I also gained a reputation as someone who was solid, could be counted on to do my work correctly, follow procedure, and consistently demonstrate good decision making in the fast-paced, multi-dimensional role I was in. For all my efforts, I am still today paid at the same rate as another guy who was hired on the same day and has a reputation for poor attendance, for poor job performance, for being lazy, and for pretty much hanging out in the break room for as much of his shift as he can before a supervisor comes to find him. Why? Because Horizon has no merit based raises, no incentives for getting extra training, and no reviews. OK, yes, I have gotten ONE review. ONCE. In almost three years. (It was excellent, by the way) Sure, they are supposed to do reviews every so often, but the reviews mean nothing and everyone knows it, so the supervisors don't do them. Horizon does pay an extra dollar an hour for some work, like "acting supervisor" or training, but that barely covers the gas it takes me to come in for the early start of the supervisor shift (I take the bus for my regular shift, and to their credit, Horizon has a great commuter benefit program which makes that nearly free). You could argue that working hard in the trenches and showing integrity and dedication makes you attractive for promotions, and many have that attitude and do get promoted. But, unless you're in Portland or Seattle, there's really no room to move up, to boost your income, or to get any kind of tangible recognition for doing a good job. I would love to see some system of individual performance based bonuses. Because I would so rock that.

Ground service agent

Current Employee - Grounds Service Agent in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Grounds Service Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at Horizon Air full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly people! Very welcoming and very polite when it came to interviews . Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!

Cons

None that I've encountered. Best service and line said friendly. Have not seen any bad activity in horizon !

Advice to Management

Nothing. Management is doing awesome and I hope it stay this way. Horizon is a great airline to work for!

9. Great place

Pros

lots of excellent staff to work with

Cons

not much to say here

10. fun working environment

Pros

Flight and health benefits cusTOMER SERVICE

Cons

rain sun snow dirt noise

11. Good Intentions

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities within the company

Cons

More corporate than they used to be, make employees feel like a "number" not a person

RSS Feed </> Embed