Horizon Air

Be The First To
Add Photos

Horizon Air CEO Brad Tilden

Brad Tilden

Great company, fun job, awesome people

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people, "family" atmosphere, freedom & flexibility with schedule. Excellent benefits. This is a great job for a young person who has low expenses and little responsibility at home. Or, for someone with an understanding partner.

ConsVery low pay. The industry standard is low for flight crews and Horizon/Alaska keep up with it, but its still hard to make ends meet. Its tough to use the travel benefits when you can't afford to pay for hotels, etc., and when you have kids you need to be home with them when you're off.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the incentives coming... Its very hard to survive on a salary that qualifies for food stamps. PBP helps pay bills. Anything helps. How about rewarding folks who consistently receive positive feedback from passengers? Maybe a $25 spiff for every 5 positive comment cards? Anything to help offset the low pay.

Great People and Beautiful Scenery

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsHorizon does a great job of hiring good people. Best part of the job. Well maintained equipment. Can't beat the view from the flight deck. Very good training. Great technology.

ConsLong upgrade times, low pay scales, low morale on the front lines.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the employees feel appreciated. They work hard schedules on the front lines and the only feedback we get is usually negative. Make the employees feel valued and appreciated. A little bit goes a long way.

Basically work for charity.

Ramp/Bags (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe coworkers in the baggage department were awesome. Younger crowd, fun, interesting.... Really neat people

ConsEverything else. Company wouldn't provide long sleeved shirts or jackets of any kind because it was summer, but I got written up for wearing a long sleeved black shirt under my uniform t-shirt when the night temps dropped to the 50s in the northwest. Worked for horizon for three months in the summer of '05, and never once received a paycheck. Repeated attempts to reconcile this with payroll, management, supervisors, all in vain. Kept hearing "we are sending your checks", but wouldn't 'reissue' the checks months later, even though they were never cashed. SO much attitude from payroll. 'We don't CUT checks on Mondays". Horizon, you could have been a great place to work. If only you paid your employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't even know where to start. maybe fire payroll, and start listening when someone complains about not getting paid. It's been nine years, and I still shudder to think about working there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved the job...

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Medford, OR

ProsThe benefits were great; destinations were fun and while salary wasn't high, the perks of travel and a future retirement fund made it worthwhile.

ConsSupervisors were out of touch with the flight attendants. Too much gossip and a lot of complaining among the pilots and FAs about pay and work hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou invest a lot in hiring and training. Consider a follow-up with the employees once they are hired. Avoid looking for reasons to find fault with your people and be more proactive in ensuring their success.

Overall a good addition to the resume, but not a good fit for the life I want to live.

Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGood co-workers
    Valuable Experience
    Decent compensation
    Paid Training
    Lots of overtime (this could be a negative in some ways)
    Flight Benefits (can be very stressful at times with their 80%+ load factor on flights)

ConsUnion environment breeds apathetic workers
    With the exception of one, all supervisors were not meant for management (No people skills)
    24-hr environment (working nights/weekends) does not make for a good home life.

Advice to Senior ManagementConnect with employees
    Crowd-source from employees
    Value your employees and care about wanting to keep them around- when I put in my resignation my supervisor did not even try to get me to reconsider and when I started looking for other work they never tried to convince me to stay even though I was told that I was "one of their top employees"

Great company on paper, a crap-shoot depending on station management.

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits, well run corporate, full benefits part-time and full-time, Excellent training,

ConsSchedule based on seniority. If your schedule conflicts with your other commitments you are reprimanded. They do not allow for you to trade schedules when bidding. Station was constantly understaffed, manager underestimated the staffing and didn't care how it affected the employees. I was told in the application process and interview that I would get 10 hours at most and put on 40 hours straight off out of training. Constantly changing policies and enforcement of policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStation managers should keep their promises. Allow open communication and input into the bidding process from all parties. Visit your outlying stations more often.

It was a much more pleasant place to work about 8 years ago

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Prosvery good health and travel benefits

ConsSchedules are often grueling without much time for sleep

Advice to Senior Managementdo the right thing for your employees, not what you can legally get away with

Hard work, with rewards, but little pay.

Variable Time "CSA/Ground" (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, active work, travel benefits

Conshard work, little pay, not enough hours and lots of liability

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep information straight

This is never a boring place to work. Things are always happening so it keeps the job interesting.

ProsAll benefits including flight benefits on Horizon and Alaska Air. Team comradery.

ConsHours and high stress environment. Flight benefits are stand-by

Advice to Senior ManagementRare, minimal opportunities

Good company

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat benefits, wonderful people to work with

ConsLong, long hours and overnight travel

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to have more reserve flight attendants, expect to be "drafted" and work into your days off.

Worked for Horizon Air? Contribute to the Community!