www.horizonhobby.com

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.9

Joe Ambrose

One of the most challengine jobs I've had that comes with its fair share of painful moments.

Current Employee - Marketing in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Horizon Hobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed hours

Fun event travel

Not micro managed

Cons

Poor management in place

Unrealistic expecations

Can be the worst place to work and also the best place the next day.

Very reactionary management. One little thing could mean Armageddon.

Trust your people

Learn your market by doing. Not reading.

Retention of employees needs a look

Don't overload your employees with meaning less reports.

Horrible upper management

Current Employee - Sales in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Horizon Hobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has pretty good benefits, and some awesome coworkers on the service/sales side. Also closed on major holidays.

Cons

Upper management doesnt care. They take forever (if ever) to let the lower managers hire much needed help. They just look at spreadsheets all day. They dont know what its like to serve customers, let alone give us the tools needed to help them. When we dropped esop and the ceo bought the company, we lost our values. Its definitely not the "upside down pyramid" where the consumer is boss and the ceo is on the bottom. And we dont have christmas parties anymore. The last one we went to was 2011, now we get milk and cookies at the office. And there were a lot of latoffs that happened right before the ceo bought the company. Lost some dedicated employees that had been there for a long time to save a few bucks.

Start listening to the lower employees, lower management , and customers. Seriously. If you are unwilling to listen, then do us a favor and leave the company. That way we can promote hard working employees who knows what the company needs to take your spot.

Horizon Hobby Response

Nov 25, 2014Director of Human Resources

We appreciate the feedback we receive through retention interviews, exit interviews, employee meetings with our CEO, informal conversations, and social media sites such as Glassdoor. It is ... More

Current Employee - Photographer in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Photographer in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Horizon Hobby full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company to work with.

Cons

There are no cons. so far for this company is a great one

There are lot of opportunity of grown in the managements area.

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Horizon Hobby full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Environment, great culture, very diverse

Cons

Nothing so far in mind

Okay

I worked at Horizon Hobby (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are the best. I don't think you will hear differently from anyone. Everyone has good intentions and good ideas.

Cons

There is a constant change in direction at upper management. Goals are lofty, change quickly, and adequate resources are not given to achieve them.

Set a direction and stick to it. Ensure the proper resources are allocated to it and listen to those whom you pay to achieve your goals.

Clueless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I worked at Horizon Hobby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the working class people actually care about doing a good job and taking care of customers. Most of the direct supervisors and managers try to do the right thing. It's cool to have people like the stuff we design.

Cons

The executives don't know anything about how the business actually works and they don't even try to make an effort to find out. They don't ask opinions of people who actually do the work or who talk to the customers at the field. They rush things through without thinking them through and end up putting out product that is crap so they ruin any hope of keeping customers.

Start by reading glass door. Lose the ego and listen to the people. Take responsibility and make sure you put out good product so you don't give away more than you sell. Stop treating the staff like they don't matter and are worthless.

This company has lost it's touch with the customers out there

I worked at Horizon Hobby (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is no longer any positive things within this company to speak of!

Cons

Management has allowed the Customer Service portion within this company to go down the tubes. They encourage very long hold times and to even become argumentative with clients who call with questions or problems.
    Expect them to go under because of poor management !

Train employees better. Get involved with supervisor's who run departments. Listen in on phone calls with customers. Fire those who are not doing their job.
    Actually care about the company and the people who work here enough to make major changes or it will not be profitable and become another has been!

Company very cut throat now.

I worked at Horizon Hobby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great customer service oriented company.

Cons

Used to have good reputation as a place to work. A few years ago the ESOP was supposed to keep that same environment as a place to work and a great people/customer focused oriented business, but things changed over the last few years for the worse. Now, ESOP gone and company back to private ownership. Fully expect it to be very cut throat toward employees and customers.

Get back to following the Golden Rule.

Good people, with the desire to do well. Needs a stronger vision for the future.

I worked at Horizon Hobby full-time

Pros

Great people willing to go the extra mile to make things happen and make the best experience for the customer.

Cons

Lack of communication and a constant need for change from upper management.

Trust the staff you hire to guide change and believe in your people.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Horizon Hobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Horizon truly make some incredible products. They have selected a world-class team of people to back them and I truly feel that they are light years above the nearest equivalent companies.

Cons

There is a clear and definite lack of communication for all of the information that passes through the building. The process by which decisions are made are extended and truly stifle any meaningful input. Senior management has made some incredibly poor decisions and their employees have suffered for it, including losing their jobs over situations that they had no hand in. The pious undertones that govern the company's "culture" are quite irritating to say the least, and seem to only serve as a means to help some people sleep at night. Nepotism rules and meritocracy loses in this environment. They use you up and then cast you aside.

Realize that you are steering a sinking ship and make requisite adjustments to your leadership style. Your changes have not worked and the company that I started with is unrecognizable today. You are losing people in droves, both to your termination of excellent employees and attrition of ones that you have kept around. Pretty soon the lifeblood of your company will have dissipated and you will be a mere shell of what you were even five years ago.

Horizon Hobby Photos