Horizon Pharma

Updated November 29, 2014
2.4

Horizon Pharma Chairman, President, and CEO Timothy P. Walbert
Timothy P. Walbert

Great Culture and Compensation!

I have been working at Horizon Pharma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am not sure what other people are complaining about, but there is a lot to be said about a company that awards employees, has work life and balance, and has monetary incentives left and right. It is a competitive culture, but no unhealthy by any means.

Cons

I am giving 4 stars because I don't think any company is perfect. Also, if someone doesn't have an entrepreneur mindset than Horizon is not for them. At least not in sales.

Low pay, OTC drugs, hiring low rent reps that is driving this company under.

Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Horizon Pharma full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are several pro's to Horizon. First it's very easy to get hired. They realize their drugs wont sustain over timer and company has maybe a year in business. So for someone in a contract pharma job this will give you a year of employment that is not contract.
    Good insurance and a lot of reps work other jobs to make up for no bonuses. Odd thing is no one knows their not in the field.

Cons

Horizon calls itself a Biotech company. Biotech companies are cutting edge with new exciting products that usually get bought by a big pharma company once they are established and you get to go along for the ride. Not the case with Horizon. They have two arthritis drugs that contain over the counter active ingredients. Insurance won't pay and my doctors think their a joke, frequently asking are you guys going to come up with a real drug.
    Horizon claims they have a direct way to get the drug to patients through special drug stores that take what insurance will pay and then reimburse the patient. Even the reps don't understand it. So if a doctor writes a script, patients can't just head off to their neighborhood pharmacy.
    Lot of Smoke an mirrors here. I'm going to ride my time out in OH. They won't pay bonuses and are big on stock options which are worthless.

Tell new hire candidates upfront the truth. Buy a real drug even if it's a bad one that can't be bought over the counter and makes your reps not the laughing stock of the pharma community. Tell them their not going to make bonuses upfront but because you can't attract real talent they may move up quick as many jump ship. Just be honest.

This company is a sinking ship!

I have been working at Horizon Pharma full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Commissions can be good if your in an area with great managed health care.

Cons

Nobody is in an area with great managed health care. Most insurance plans will not cover this drug. If you can't make it in a few months your fired. Management is shady!

Invest in your employees. Keep them motivated.

Great Job!

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Horizon Pharma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits. Bonus structure is second to none. This company will push you to perform and reward you for your efforts.

Cons

None that I can think of

Horrible...horrible...horrible

I have been working at Horizon Pharma full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive about this company.

Cons

Lies, lies, lies from management.