Horizon Software International

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014

Horizon Software International President Randy Eckels
Randy Eckels

A bumpy road full of highs and lows that have been exceptional learning and growing experiences for me in my career.

I have been working at Horizon Software International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CHANGE... while a lot of people steer away from and refuse to embrace it, I have learned at Horizon that embracing change is the pathway to growth and personal satisfaction. I am happy to drive to work every day knowing that change is on the Horizon... literally, and that there are great things in store for our future. We have to believe it in order to see it. Being positive and a true team player will steer you on the right path at Horizon!

Cons

Negativity....with an entitlement mentality can sink any ship. Your destiny is up YOU and no one else. If you want to grow with a company, you need to be seen, heard and ready to take on additional challenges that will highlight your strengths. If you feel that this is no longer an option for you, then why be miserable and pass it along to others. If you feel unappreciated.. then appreciate someone else and wait for the boomerang.. it will come back around. Staying positive is one of the best attributes one can have to succeed... HONESTLY positive.. not phony or forged. Horizon is not the place to sit idle and coast from paycheck to paycheck... don't stew over a problem, present a solution.. and another and another..

Communication is key. Transparency of the company's current direction and decisions that affect them will keep the positive players on track to better understand what affects them personally, their team and the company as a whole. Knowledge is key.

Great Environment, Great People.. A Great Place to have a Career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Horizon Software International full-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees are what drive an organization, and the employees here are proof of that. Everyone from Senior to Lower Level are great! The personalities, comradely, and drive of those here is amazing. Open doors across the building with management and senior-level. The company is very open to suggestions in process improvement, and empowers those to find solutions anywhere possible to make our customer service that much better. The Core Values are strong, and well directed to fit the bill of who can be successful, along with how to be successful at Horizon. The work/life balance is well dignified, with 11 generously paid holidays and an excellent PTO program. Benefits are a bit higher than some other employers, but don't let that deter the fact of what it covers- Full Health/Dental/Vision/Life/AD&D, with low deductibles and opened doors to healthcare- It's not slacking coverage in the least bit whereas most other companies have turned toward minimal coverage, at a higher rate. Dollar for Dollar spent in coverage, Horizon's wins with no need for a large HSA or FSA account to cover the deductible (But it is offered!), BIG PLUS! Compensation is value based, and experience based- the more experience and value you can bring, the better the compensation, falls in line with the core values themselves I have personally worked for many other corporations before past decade, and thus far this is the best employer for the employee!

Cons

There are areas of focus that are currently, and always in the works of improvement, hence the open to suggestions. Inter-Department communication was one of them, and that is already showing signs of mass improvement.. as simple as utilizing that open-door at all times. So really, cons? None I am aware of.

Management is making great leaps and bounds to ever improve the organization, with great enthusiasm and purpose. Keep going on with that!

I like working at Horizon, not perfect but has a lot of potential

I have been working at Horizon Software International

Pros

Most everyone here is the type of people you want to work with - helpful, friendly, easy to work with. Pay is decent, culture is progressive, the general style is "get your work done and you get flexibility". They put a lot of emphasis on customer service, and a lot of my peers go above and beyond in this area. Senior Management is established and seem hands-on. They have fun employee events that are good for getting to interact with other departments. Benefits are just ok...some are better than others. Birthdays off are nice, on Fridays they serve healthy breakfast, and free soda during the summer.

Cons

With some of the employees here (including managers) it is more important to be liked than to be great at your job. All departments have their own agenda, so when you need help from a different department on a company initiative, it is not necessarily as high on their priority list. 401K match is very low. We don't get paid for any time off we have left at the end of the year.

Consider looking at the 401K match Horizon offers and make it worth something. Pay employees for unused time at the end of the year.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People but not great company

I worked at Horizon Software International full-time

Pros

The people that work at Horizon are great!

Cons

The reason I left was due to no career advancement possibilities. The benefits are expensive.

Develop career paths for current employees.

Great place to work, and getting better all the time!

Current Employee - Employee  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Horizon Software International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people at Horizon are fantastic - the majority is very helpful, friendly, work hard, and make you feel part of the team. Management is very approachable and hands-on.

The office environment is nice, the commute is easy, and they develop some great products. I use their MyPaymentsPlus system myself to pay for my daughter's school meals!

Pay is about average, benefits are expensive and could use some improvement.

Cons

Some employees constantly complain about everything, and don't really have a great work ethic. This seems to be changing lately - the new employees hired seem great, and it seems management is not tolerating employees who are not up to par, which is a relief for those of us that do work hard for our customers every single day!

I do wish there was more communication throughout the company, many times it feels like we don't know what other departments are doing - or even things going on company-wide!

Please provide more company communication. A company newsletter would be great, and would keep us informed on what other departments are doing. Also, keep hiring solid employees with positive, can-do attitudes!

I have one word. Unorganized

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Horizon Software International

Pros

None beyond some travel the customer interactions were great after they vented.

Cons

No real structure. Low pay. Lack of integrity.

Be honest to customers

Think twice before getting in

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Duluth, GA

I worked at Horizon Software International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can't think of any

Cons

I worked at this company for a few years, thinking that this would be a good place to start to get your foot in the door. But it turned out to be a horrible experience. I eventually quit this place and went to another company for a lesser pay. If it wasn't for my manager and my team, (all of us who are no longer with this company) I'd have quit even sooner. There was no real promotions / pay raises except for the upper management. I went with 3 years of near perfect annual review without seeing any pay increment.

Good luck keeping some real talented people around longer and open your eyes and ears to your folks who are giving up their family lives by being on the road for a meager pay.

Perks with some serious downsides

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

Pros

Great vacation and PTO policies, friendly co-workers, great location that is convenient to the highway are some of the perks. Management is mostly hands-off so this is a good organization for a self-motivated worker. Office culture varies among departments. Implementation is fairly loose with a good balance of daily laughs along with serious, heads-down work. It's a public company with a small privately owned feeling for the most part.

Cons

Some of the downsides include silo'd departments that dont always work well together which cause havoc for the implementations. The compensation varies widely for the same job title and isn't necessarily dependent on experience or workload. Morale in the company as a whole is moderately high, however it is low for the implementation team. The workload is extremely disproportionate to employees in the rest of the company. In order to manage projects and keep up with the requirements of the position often requires working through lunch through the year, and overtime work in peak seasons. Promotions within the department aren't available and career growth is up to the employee.

Great company on the move

Pros

Outstanding people with a really great company culture. Senior leadership really cares about their employees and makes every effort to help them succeed. Last couple years have seen very strong growth. Cool new applications on the Horizon. Financially sound company with good customer service.

Cons

K12 is their primary market which can be a challenging market.

Keep hiring the best and brightest and unleash them to help grow the company even further. The migration to the web and cloud services should continue to be #1 priority.

A good place to start

I have been working at Horizon Software International

Pros

Great workplace environment, Friendly, Helpful

Cons

Not much room for opportunity

Worked for Horizon Software International? Contribute to the Community!