Horizon Transport

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
3.6

Marion Schrock

A GREAT company to work for!

Current Employee - Transporter in Wakarusa, IN
    Current Employee - Transporter in Wakarusa, IN

I have been working at Horizon Transport

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy, can make more money doing this than using my master's degree in counseling, get to see most of North America, can take trips most anywhere in the US and Canada.

Cons

There are really no cons if you don't come into the business blind. You will have truck repairs. There will not always be back hauls. You must provide for your own transportation. None of this should come as a surprise since you are essentially running your own small business. My husband and I are in our 30s and 40s. We do drive-away and tow-away and not only pay our bills but make a GOOD living as well. If you are ignorant and/or lazy, you will NOT enjoy this field. If this pertains to you, go back to school and try politics. HORIZON is a GREAT place to work.

Management is great, and really tries to put employees and drivers first.

False damage claims

Former Employee - Drive Away and Tow Away Driver in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Drive Away and Tow Away Driver in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Horizon Transport

Pros

Good place to start, if you can afford it.

Cons

They are currently trying to stick me with damage to a unit from August of 2013. This unit sat on a lot over a year and no one noticed almost 900 dollars of damage? As a driver you are responsible for units until they are sold; I guess.
    I know more than a dozen other drivers that have had the same trouble with this issue; most never see the return of their damage deposit. Mine was returned, and I was told I had no outstanding clams in June, and now this. Their own contract states you cannot be liable for damage past twelve months.

Damage claims against drivers

Former Employee - Driver
    Former Employee - Driver

I worked at Horizon Transport as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay on long trips only

Cons

Will accuse you of damages you did not commit.

If you call yourself a christian organization then act like it. If you say you support veterans. Back it up by not terminating them two days after veterans day for damages they didn't cause.

Professional

Former Employee - Driver in Wakarusa, IN

I worked at Horizon Transport as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

drive when want too / pay advances go thru quickly / advances are enough usually to get to the delivery point

Cons

finding your own way back / transportation costs to return to Wakarusa / no benefits available & strictly a 1099 position

Need more help in returning from delivery

Was Very Good

Former Employee - Driver in Wakarusa, IN

I worked at Horizon Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

NO doubt about having a job/trip

Cons

Return transportation issue after delivery of vechile from staging or pick-up operation

set up a place to contact for each specific delivery to return to depot

It's Ok, But they need to figure out a better pay plan

Current Employee - Transport Delivery Contractor in Wakarusa, IN
    Current Employee - Transport Delivery Contractor in Wakarusa, IN

I have been working at Horizon Transport

Pros

Great position for independent people, You are by yourself, setting your own schedule. No forced dispatch.
    A lot of positive talk from management.

Cons

It's feast or famine, with a lot of famine.
    You are an independent contractor with no benefits. Delivering expensive Motorhomes nationwide. You are paid by the mile and must pay your fuel cost out of this milage rate. It is almost impossible to make a living delivering only new motorhomes out of the Wakarusa yard, so reloads are important. Most people use a tow car to get to the next pickup point. (another big expense) The only way to make it in this business is to do a lot of reloads and to stay out as much as possible. This is no job for someone with a young family... you will never see them.

Improve the pay plan. Figure out a way to become more diversified so you are not dependent on the whims and cost cutting measures of 4-5 major RV manufacturers. In 5-7 years their business will be tanking anyway because the US will be out of customers with the disposable income required to purchase these expensive toys. The middle class is dying and won't be back for at least a generation.