Hormel

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hormel Chairman, President, and CEO Jeffrey M. Ettinger

Jeffrey M. Ettinger

Pros
  • Good benefits and bonus structure for salaried employees (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits for salaried employees, but you will work so many hours you won't get to enjoy your money (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough prior to reaching a certain career level for production (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours with little concern for work, life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Its all about politics in the IT dpt they dont promote within.

ProsPay is on par with other companies.

ConsThe corperate politics are BAD in this company. They fabricate job descriptions for people or have the person picked out before they even list the job posting.
    It is either you have to know someone or get lucky.
    If you are a part time employee you might have to quit and return as an intern before you get full time.

The worst part is I am not the only one that this has happened to. It is happening to people that have been full time within the company for over 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within before hiriing interns.
    Give your senior employees with over 5 years within the company the job and not employees that have been full time for 1 year or less..

Production Supervisor

Hormel Supervisor (Former Employee) Austin, MN

ProsKeep showing up and you have a job for life that pays better than a "greeter" at Walmart.

ConsFancy yourself a shooting star? Motivated by career advancement? Love state-of-the-art equipment? At Hormel your annual review is rated as follows: 2B;3- (your a day one employee or you just don't have a clue). 3 (way to go your a C student). 3+ (you must be a genius private pile), 4,5 ratings aren't available unless your the CEO's kid. Top performing level 12 supervisors with a 3+ rating might earn $500 more in the form of a bonus than a 3- rated, foaming at the mouth, brain dead supervisor. You'll watch failed upper management get demoted into lead supervisor positions so they can reach retirement. Count on extremely long nights with junk equipment and forget about day shift work for a very, very long time... In summary falling star, career stagnation, broken down train-wreck equipment is what you need to want for success.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your supervisors a good hourly wage. Take even $60,000 / (52 weeks x 70hrs per) = $16.48/hr before taxes..... These guys/girls are generally getting paid a dollar or two an hour more than the union of complainers and crybabies that work for them. The future leaders of your company supposedly come from these ranks... Those are some cheap ranks.....

Great for experience if you fit their mold

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsGreat for big responsibility and experience. Hormel has very smart people who make fast decisions.

ConsHormel is a very white male dominated company. If you fit that mold, you will do well. Also, if you play golf, another big plus!

Hormel is slow to accept diversity and promote inclusion. They are making better strides from the very top down, however, not everyone is on board and middle management slow to understand that diversity makes the company better.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe inclusive because you actually believe in it. Not for HR reasons. Thanks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Admin./Inside Sales

Admin/Inside Sales Support (Current Employee) Greentree, PA

ProsNone. Working with this manager is awful.

ConsThis company is prejudice. This is not a good company to work for. Fortune 500 but treats hourly people with no respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe HR dept . is useless and will not take your complaints seriously.

The only thing I liked was a free move to another state..

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsTravel -you will definitely have to relocate
    Pay- above average compensation for those that are fresh out of college.
    Food- You get to eat a lot of Hormel product for free.

ConsI don't think there is enough time in the day to describe how absolutely disgusted I am with the false advertisement this company sends to recent college grads. They make you believe that as a sales rep you are going to have opportunity for "growth' and be well respected...competely false. You literally are a bacon salesman going from one foul kitchen to another while carrying 70 pounds of food on your shoulder in a bright red bag. This is all you will do, ever. With every new "title" you receive, you are doing the same thing, just now you have to go into a lot more dirty kitchens since you have an expanded territory.

Side note, if you are of "ethnic" background, run for the hills. This is the most non-diverse, backwards company you will ever encounter. All men run it, and they treat minorities horribly. I am so happy I left this for another job opportunity. Heed the warning, explore all of your options before you become a meat salesman for life.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think it matters what I write here since all of management are buddies and congregate at corporate in Austin, Mn over beer and small talk. But if they do glance over this, they need to do a complete assessment of all area managers...most are worthless.

If You're Ready for a Sweat Shop, Apply Now!

Production Supervisor (Current Employee) Tucker, GA

ProsThe name will read well on your resume. You are able to join the union after being employed there for ninety days. They put you in teams in most cases where your numbers are weighed together. That could prove to be good if you have great team members who are also willing to work hard to meet the numbers put forth by management. They start you off with a certain hourly rate and increase you a few cents per month until your ninety day probationary period is completed. Off-street parking is there for you so no parking troubles necessary. Close to the bus line for 1st shifters. Bus does not run late enough for the other shifts.

ConsIt is run like a sweat shop. The management does not seem to care about employees. Some people have been there for months before they receive the pay raise promised during the orientation meeting. The health insurance sucks terribly. They hype it up to be more than it is which is really a big deductible for blue collar workers that's hard to meet, and all sorts of caps of usage attached. The union rep. doesnt seem to understand what's going on with certain aspects of compensation either. It could be a better place with some process improvement too. Like a new Lean manager to help scheduling instead of the consistent start time changes, overtime, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake into consideration what your employees are saying. Make it more of a family-like atmosphere than adversarial. Take initiative to recognize great employees who don't miss a day, who are on time and who meet their numbers. Be realistic in those numbers too. Train your managers who are on the floor about how to speak to others that are subordinate. Yelling and degrading does not build teams.

Manager

ProsGood benefits. Safety and Quality are important. CEO is fantastic, great views for the company.

ConsWork ALL THE TIME!. No work life balance, narrow minded coworkers, conservative company. Most manufacturing companies are in remote areas or small towns with limited access to extra curricular activities. Corporate office is in small town and you live next to your boss. Not a company that keeps or attracts top talent. Upper management does not align themselves with future growth of employees. Unless you golf with your BOSS - good luck on getting a promotion or stellar annual review. My superior struggled at talking to me daily - as if it was a hassle. Promote diversity yet have NONE. Behind the ball on business excellence and lean manufacturing. Back to top talent.... can't keep top talent when working conditions are work, work, work and the longer you stay at work (even if you are not working yet talking or playing on the computer) the better an employee you are. So, if you stay at work for 12-14 hours you are seen as an excellent employee. I tell you what.... if I'm at work for 12 hours managing a 8 hour shift I'm a POOR manager. I'm there 9-10 hours and I'm called part timer! I'm about business excellence and doing it right the first time. I don't need to work beyond those hours to get my work done. Work environment is cold and wet and you stand on concrete for your 10-12 hour day at least 6 days a week. No flexibility. Limited community involvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKenexa survey results are not coming fast enough! Devote your time to work balance and retaining top talent. Move corporate offices out of Austin MN and work toward TRUE training and continuous improvement. Have your upper managers at the plants truly follow a development plan for your younger managers. We are being neglected because too many of the wrong people have been promoted. You are not retaining TOP TALENT! Your competitors are taking your good people because the wrong people are getting the promotions.

decent opportunity with no room for growth

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Austin, MN

Prosthey have great training program to develop you for a recent college grad
    the pay is decent. really isn't as great as some people put it considering amount of hours you work

Consyou will work for a lot of incompetent managers which can be very very stressful
    long hours and no work life balance
    small city with barely anything to do for young professionals
    barely any room for growth with no diversity what so ever

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop a better way for work life balance
    evaluate your managers. most are just talkers

Big corporation operating in a tiny town - a condition which sprouts big egos

Corporate Office Employee (Former Employee) Austin, MN

ProsGood pay and benefits for salaried employees, but you will work so many hours you won't get to enjoy your money.

ConsBig pressure to work super-long hours, butt-kissing is the best route to take for promotions. Old-boy network alive and well here. If you're not at work by 6AM every day, you're a slacker!!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and realize that work might not be THE most important thing in everyone's life. Staff positions enough so one person doesn't have to do the work that 2 or 3 should be doing.

Not a good position to accept if you want to do real engineering without a promotion

Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsHormel has great pay and benefits. They are accommodating to days needed off. They will try their best to make the company feel more close knit than most major companies do.

ConsThe position of maint. engineer is not an engineering position as they make it out to be, it is a glorified supervisor. Maintenance is often singled out for any issues resulting in lost manufacturing time even though equipment performance is not the issue. Advancement is not as quick as they make it out to be, they tell you that after a year there will be advancement available to the engineering division but that is not true.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet new people know what to really expect for their future within the company. Everybody comes in looking to advance to something more challenging based on what they were told in the interview process but become discouraged when they realize that advancement cannot be expected within the first 2-3 years.

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!