Hormel Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
3.7

Hormel Chairman, President, and CEO Jeffrey M. Ettinger
Jeffrey M. Ettinger

Pros
  • Good benefits and bonus structure for salaried employees (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits for salaried employees, but you will work so many hours you won't get to enjoy your money (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough prior to reaching a certain career level for production (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours with little concern for work, life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Its all about politics in the IT dpt they dont promote within.

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is on par with other companies.

Cons

The corperate politics are BAD in this company. They fabricate job descriptions for people or have the person picked out before they even list the job posting.
    It is either you have to know someone or get lucky.
    If you are a part time employee you might have to quit and return as an intern before you get full time.

The worst part is I am not the only one that this has happened to. It is happening to people that have been full time within the company for over 5 years.

Promote within before hiriing interns.
    Give your senior employees with over 5 years within the company the job and not employees that have been full time for 1 year or less..

Production Supervisor

Former Employee - Hormel Supervisor  in  Austin, MN
    Former Employee - Hormel Supervisor in Austin, MN

I worked at Hormel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Keep showing up and you have a job for life that pays better than a "greeter" at Walmart.

Cons

Fancy yourself a shooting star? Motivated by career advancement? Love state-of-the-art equipment? At Hormel your annual review is rated as follows: 2B;3- (your a day one employee or you just don't have a clue). 3 (way to go your a C student). 3+ (you must be a genius private pile), 4,5 ratings aren't available unless your the CEO's kid. Top performing level 12 supervisors with a 3+ rating might earn $500 more in the form of a bonus than a 3- rated, foaming at the mouth, brain dead supervisor. You'll watch failed upper management get demoted into lead supervisor positions so they can reach retirement. Count on extremely long nights with junk equipment and forget about day shift work for a very, very long time... In summary falling star, career stagnation, broken down train-wreck equipment is what you need to want for success.

Pay your supervisors a good hourly wage. Take even $60,000 / (52 weeks x 70hrs per) = $16.48/hr before taxes..... These guys/girls are generally getting paid a dollar or two an hour more than the union of complainers and crybabies that work for them. The future leaders of your company supposedly come from these ranks... Those are some cheap ranks.....

Great for experience if you fit their mold

I worked at Hormel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great for big responsibility and experience. Hormel has very smart people who make fast decisions.

Cons

Hormel is a very white male dominated company. If you fit that mold, you will do well. Also, if you play golf, another big plus!

Hormel is slow to accept diversity and promote inclusion. They are making better strides from the very top down, however, not everyone is on board and middle management slow to understand that diversity makes the company better.

Be inclusive because you actually believe in it. Not for HR reasons. Thanks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Admin./Inside Sales

Current Employee - Admin/Inside Sales Support  in  Greentree, PA
    Current Employee - Admin/Inside Sales Support in Greentree, PA

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. Working with this manager is awful.

Cons

This company is prejudice. This is not a good company to work for. Fortune 500 but treats hourly people with no respect.

The HR dept . is useless and will not take your complaints seriously.

The only thing I liked was a free move to another state..

I worked at Hormel

Pros

Travel -you will definitely have to relocate
    Pay- above average compensation for those that are fresh out of college.
    Food- You get to eat a lot of Hormel product for free.

Cons

I don't think there is enough time in the day to describe how absolutely disgusted I am with the false advertisement this company sends to recent college grads. They make you believe that as a sales rep you are going to have opportunity for "growth' and be well respected...competely false. You literally are a bacon salesman going from one foul kitchen to another while carrying 70 pounds of food on your shoulder in a bright red bag. This is all you will do, ever. With every new "title" you receive, you are doing the same thing, just now you have to go into a lot more dirty kitchens since you have an expanded territory.

Side note, if you are of "ethnic" background, run for the hills. This is the most non-diverse, backwards company you will ever encounter. All men run it, and they treat minorities horribly. I am so happy I left this for another job opportunity. Heed the warning, explore all of your options before you become a meat salesman for life.

I don't think it matters what I write here since all of management are buddies and congregate at corporate in Austin, Mn over beer and small talk. But if they do glance over this, they need to do a complete assessment of all area managers...most are worthless.

If You're Ready for a Sweat Shop, Apply Now!

Current Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Tucker, GA

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

The name will read well on your resume. You are able to join the union after being employed there for ninety days. They put you in teams in most cases where your numbers are weighed together. That could prove to be good if you have great team members who are also willing to work hard to meet the numbers put forth by management. They start you off with a certain hourly rate and increase you a few cents per month until your ninety day probationary period is completed. Off-street parking is there for you so no parking troubles necessary. Close to the bus line for 1st shifters. Bus does not run late enough for the other shifts.

Cons

It is run like a sweat shop. The management does not seem to care about employees. Some people have been there for months before they receive the pay raise promised during the orientation meeting. The health insurance sucks terribly. They hype it up to be more than it is which is really a big deductible for blue collar workers that's hard to meet, and all sorts of caps of usage attached. The union rep. doesnt seem to understand what's going on with certain aspects of compensation either. It could be a better place with some process improvement too. Like a new Lean manager to help scheduling instead of the consistent start time changes, overtime, etc.

Take into consideration what your employees are saying. Make it more of a family-like atmosphere than adversarial. Take initiative to recognize great employees who don't miss a day, who are on time and who meet their numbers. Be realistic in those numbers too. Train your managers who are on the floor about how to speak to others that are subordinate. Yelling and degrading does not build teams.

Good Starter job

Current Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation is above average after a few years

Cons

No work/life balance; benefits are touted as "great" when they are mediocre; starting pay is subpar, but interviewer will tell you it is above market; time-off is determined by seniority; promotions are determined by seniority not abilities; change doesn't happen as the culture is "we've done it this way for as far back as I can remember", it takes an injury for safety changes to occur; the Continuous Improvement/Six Sigma/DMAIC projects are pointless and only done because they are a company requirement; no personal growth or career growth--if senior management fears change is near, they will go out of their way to stop or avoid it; senior management preaches accountability, but does not practice it; weaker supervisors are covered up by stronger ones. Hormel is the company of a thousand and one chances,so there is no risk of being terminated.

Don't do continuous improvement projects because they are a company requirement--quantity is not better than quality.
    Senior managers need serious help in people skills.
    Practice what you preach, don't say it because a corporate person says you have to.

Manager

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Safety and Quality are important. CEO is fantastic, great views for the company.

Cons

Work ALL THE TIME!. No work life balance, narrow minded coworkers, conservative company. Most manufacturing companies are in remote areas or small towns with limited access to extra curricular activities. Corporate office is in small town and you live next to your boss. Not a company that keeps or attracts top talent. Upper management does not align themselves with future growth of employees. Unless you golf with your BOSS - good luck on getting a promotion or stellar annual review. My superior struggled at talking to me daily - as if it was a hassle. Promote diversity yet have NONE. Behind the ball on business excellence and lean manufacturing. Back to top talent.... can't keep top talent when working conditions are work, work, work and the longer you stay at work (even if you are not working yet talking or playing on the computer) the better an employee you are. So, if you stay at work for 12-14 hours you are seen as an excellent employee. I tell you what.... if I'm at work for 12 hours managing a 8 hour shift I'm a POOR manager. I'm there 9-10 hours and I'm called part timer! I'm about business excellence and doing it right the first time. I don't need to work beyond those hours to get my work done. Work environment is cold and wet and you stand on concrete for your 10-12 hour day at least 6 days a week. No flexibility. Limited community involvement.

Kenexa survey results are not coming fast enough! Devote your time to work balance and retaining top talent. Move corporate offices out of Austin MN and work toward TRUE training and continuous improvement. Have your upper managers at the plants truly follow a development plan for your younger managers. We are being neglected because too many of the wrong people have been promoted. You are not retaining TOP TALENT! Your competitors are taking your good people because the wrong people are getting the promotions.

decent opportunity with no room for growth

Former Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Austin, MN
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Austin, MN

I worked at Hormel full-time

Pros

they have great training program to develop you for a recent college grad
    the pay is decent. really isn't as great as some people put it considering amount of hours you work

Cons

you will work for a lot of incompetent managers which can be very very stressful
    long hours and no work life balance
    small city with barely anything to do for young professionals
    barely any room for growth with no diversity what so ever

develop a better way for work life balance
    evaluate your managers. most are just talkers

Big corporation operating in a tiny town - a condition which sprouts big egos

Former Employee - Corporate Office Employee  in  Austin, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Austin, MN

I worked at Hormel

Pros

Good pay and benefits for salaried employees, but you will work so many hours you won't get to enjoy your money.

Cons

Big pressure to work super-long hours, butt-kissing is the best route to take for promotions. Old-boy network alive and well here. If you're not at work by 6AM every day, you're a slacker!!

Wake up and realize that work might not be THE most important thing in everyone's life. Staff positions enough so one person doesn't have to do the work that 2 or 3 should be doing.

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!