Hormel

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hormel Chairman, President, and CEO Jeffrey M. Ettinger

Jeffrey M. Ettinger

Pros:
  • "Good benefits and bonus structure for salaried employees"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good pay and benefits for salaried employees, but you will work so many hours you won't get to enjoy your money"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is tough prior to reaching a certain career level for production"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Long hours with little concern for work, life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sr. Customer Executive

Senior Customer Executive (Current Employee)
    Bethlehem, PA

ProsGreat company with great beneifts.

ConsUnable to control location you work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible on work location.

Good employer, better than most but needs to progress technically.

ProsGood benefits and job security. Friendly people and work environment.

ConsNo advancement opportunity In my position as sales assistant in an area sales office.

Advice to Senior ManagementHourly assistants still feel like 2nd class citizens. Our opinions are undervalued, as is our contribution to the team. Keep up the good work of being a great global corporation environmentally.

Its all about politics in the IT dpt they dont promote within.

ProsPay is on par with other companies.

ConsThe corperate politics are BAD in this company. They fabricate job descriptions for people or have the person picked out before they even list the job posting.
    It is either you have to know someone or get lucky.
    If you are a part time employee you might have to quit and return as an intern before you get full time.

The worst part is I am not the only one that this has happened to. It is happening to people that have been full time within the company for over 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within before hiriing interns.
    Give your senior employees with over 5 years within the company the job and not employees that have been full time for 1 year or less..

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent benefits, average pay, minimal work, "good ol' boy" atmosphere.

Maintenance, Non-Specific (Current Employee)

ProsI work at a local level, a sort of bast(ard) child between Hormel and one of it's wholly owed subsidiaries. I am paid by the subsidiary but have all the benefits of being a Hormel employee (insurance, pension, profit sharing, 401K.) That being said, I'm given a lot of freedom to pursue my own personal goals at work. If you want to learn a skill, industry, or improve yourself, you are given the resources and space to do so. Hormel is not a golden goose, but if you're reasonable about your expectations (you're not going to change the world, you're not going to revolutionize an industry, you're just going to show up, do your job), you stay positive, and you use your time wisely, you will do well with this company. Let's face it, every job is a contract; you agree to perform at a certain level for a price. Hormel is more than reasonable in this sense.

ConsHormel is based on the "Good ol' boy system." By that I mean if you stick with the company and are loyal and tow the line, you will succeed. It's not uncommon to see someone "high up" retiring with 30 years on the job nor is it uncommon to see someone with no real skills advancing to a position of power. The Peter Principle is in full swing here. That being said, if you're not a true blue believer, too bad. Find somewhere else and do it quick because if you turn in your two weeks, consider them walking papers.

Hormel is a very progressive company that stresses socially progressive themes over profits. One could argue that socially progressive themes encourage profits, but that would be more propaganda. They have a committee for every minority group; black, Asian, Latino, woman, LGBT. This does nothing for their company except waste the time of supervisors and encourage the hiring of those who are completely inept but qualify based on political factors. I'm not talking politics in terms of Republican or Democrat, but politics in the same sense of their "Good Ol' Boy" system. There was an article in their newsletter written by an openly gay man that's main message was that he was proud that Hormel was proud of his sexual orientation. I don't care what you do in your free time. It's your business. Hormel is different. They will congratulate and more importantly hire/promote someone based on their ethnicity or sexuality or sexual preference so long as that person is not white, male or straight. That's not to say that a gay, black woman is more likely to receive a promotion (so far as I know) but it is to say that they make a point of advertising that they are more than accepting of such individuals (in their minds, I personally feel that bringing sexuality and race into the workplace as a factor is discriminatory regardless of who is hired as a result.)

That being said, Hormel is a wildly successful company. This is despite their progressive agenda. My experience has taught me that success has it's roots at the lowest levels. The mechanics are who truly keep Hormel successful. It's not uncommon to see a 30 year old piece of industrial equipment at work and relied upon daily in a Hormel subsidiary. Maintenance is directly responsible for this, despite being charged for countless downtime, often because of poor planning or operation error. At the end of the day management (which is 100% true Hormel) makes all the decisions and production is at the helm. It's as if production owns the car, doesn't take the time to take it to the shop and then blames the mechanic for down time. All the machines are well beyond their expected life but management always blames maintenance for breakdowns. A perfect analogy is you drive a car with 300k miles on it and never have changed the oil or done a brake job but charge your mechanic every time it breaks. In the real world he'd kick your worthless butt to the curb and let you have what you deserve. At Hormel you'll get a badge of honor for being an idiot and neglecting your equipment to work an extra day. Production has all the say.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I could change anything about Hormel I would re-evaluate ownership/accountability and I would improve communication. Union people have little to no knowledge of what is going on at a plant level despite being the people that are most closely connected to the day to day. The maintenance supervisors are on such a schedule that encourages them to not care about the plant as a whole. They are constantly being shuffled around the plant; shifts and departments. Combine that with the lack of control (since production has the final say) and the 4 on 4 off schedule that requires them to supervise a different group of guys (whom are on an even more messed up schedule) every cycle and you have a recipe for disaster. If Hormel were smart they'd thank the low men/women for keeping the business alive despite the poor decisions that are made on a daily basis

An old school company that is slowly evolving

Administrative/Inside Sales (Current Employee)
    Austin, MN

ProsThe company is here to stay. They have a solid core, and keep growing and innovating. The pay is good enough to keep you around, in most cases. There are many opportunities if you are willing to make the commitment.

ConsAlthough there have been efforts to improve work life balance by adding vacation, sick days, and accommodating some flexible work situations, the Hormel culture still doesn't permit anything less than 10+ hour days.
    Working conditions in the plant are grueling, confrontational, uncomfortable, and generally unpleasant for management and union employees alike. Corporate working conditions are better.
    The biggest con is that the corporate office and flagship plant are in Austin MN. It is a small town with very few options for shopping, art, food, and entertainment. There is a lot of effort going into improving the town, but there is only so much that can be accomplished, and it will take time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHormel is on the right track, keep doing what you're doing! Keep working on the work-life balance issues, but not too quickly. There is a huge opportunity to leverage sales across all brands and divisions, but the communication isn't there yet.

Great place to work if you don't mind moving.

Territory Manager AA (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat Training, great management. Very smart company, always innovating. Attainable goals.

ConsCorporate office location. If you don't say yes to a promotion, you may not get another shot. Typical HR nazi's.

Great Company, for coming out of college

Territory Manager (Current Employee)
    Charleston, SC

ProsCompetitive Salary
    Cares about employees
    Sales Force Gets Company Cars
    Uncapped Bonus Structure
    A lot of advancement opportunities
    Best Training Program
    Hardworking upper management
    Solid Work-Life Balance

ConsLean Company so you do a lot of unnecessary work that you do not feel compensated for
    Not a lot of position in upper management
    Merit based raises are terrible, the money is in being promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is solid

Hormel was the first place I worked after college. It was a great start to my career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has solid financials and will be in business forever. They are very loyal to their employees.

ConsIf working in the processing plants, you must be able to enjoy the "environment" and working conditions. Let's just say meat processing isn't for the faint of heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware that many people today don't plan, or enjoy, uprooting their families to relocate to another location just to move up in the company.

I enjoyed my position as a sales representative for Hormel. They take care of their people and the training is excellent

Food Service Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat sales training, you work for a known company in the industry, great bonus structure, they hire great people.

ConsFood industry is very competitve and margins are slim. Working in this industry will not make you millions at this level.

Production Supervisor

Hormel Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Austin, MN

ProsKeep showing up and you have a job for life that pays better than a "greeter" at Walmart.

ConsFancy yourself a shooting star? Motivated by career advancement? Love state-of-the-art equipment? At Hormel your annual review is rated as follows: 2B;3- (your a day one employee or you just don't have a clue). 3 (way to go your a C student). 3+ (you must be a genius private pile), 4,5 ratings aren't available unless your the CEO's kid. Top performing level 12 supervisors with a 3+ rating might earn $500 more in the form of a bonus than a 3- rated, foaming at the mouth, brain dead supervisor. You'll watch failed upper management get demoted into lead supervisor positions so they can reach retirement. Count on extremely long nights with junk equipment and forget about day shift work for a very, very long time... In summary falling star, career stagnation, broken down train-wreck equipment is what you need to want for success.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your supervisors a good hourly wage. Take even $60,000 / (52 weeks x 70hrs per) = $16.48/hr before taxes..... These guys/girls are generally getting paid a dollar or two an hour more than the union of complainers and crybabies that work for them. The future leaders of your company supposedly come from these ranks... Those are some cheap ranks.....

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hormel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hormel CEO Jeffrey M. Ettinger. All 64 reviews posted anonymously by Hormel employees.