Hornbeck Offshore Reviews

Todd M. Hornbeck

Mud boat company

Current Employee - Third Assistant Engineer in Port Fourchon, LA
    Current Employee - Third Assistant Engineer in Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is trying to keep as many people as possible during this downturn.

Cons

It is a cyclical industry and the downturn has hurt everyone in the gulf. There have been two pay cuts so far.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to find us work and we will keep working. People will not leave simply because of paycuts, but will leave due to frustration.

2. Hornbeck Offshore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, LA

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore (More than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest "pro" is the people. It was my experience that everyone got along really well and it made going to work everyday a little more enjoyable.

Cons

The pay wasn't very competitive. They stopped matching employee 401K due to the market downturn.

3. Fair and Accurate, Been around the Gulf

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

15% Discount Stock option, Healthcare. Hornbeck has a lot of vessels working when times are good. The are a very fair employer and very diverse. The good ole boy thing of the past isn't as prevalent anymore. When I do a job and I know it isn't safe I can stop it knowing there won't be any repercussions from management....if I'm right I will have backing all the way to the top.

Cons

You have to arrange your own transportation to vessels probably the worst and least effective cost saving initiative in the history of working offshore. All I can say is, it must be nice to drive to work! Here's my suggestion, a tollbooth security shack to park at the office! Brand new vessels, crew accommodations from the 70's. (First Assistant Engineer has a 4 man room) Pointless annual "training". Squeaky wheels get the grease, good quiet workers who always follow policy are overlooked until they need your license, but I guess that's everywhere really.

Advice to Management

Fix the crew accommodations, we're grown men, not college students. Annual training should be, confined space entry/basic first aid/hazmat/working at heights/ you know... actual certificates that allow us to perform our job better. Not the redundant NS-5 program/oil record book that lets the shore side do THEIR job better. If people can't manage these things by now they should be shown the door or demoted until they can figure it out.

TYPICAL MUD BOAT COMPANY

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore full-time

Pros

TRYING HARD TO FIND A LOT OF GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THIS COMPANY,

Cons

Completely out of touch, massive unnecessary paperwork. Need full time secretary to maintain all the paperwork and continuous emails coming in from upper management down to the so called VGM'S. I will say, there were a few good VGM'S, but they were from the old school, I could see they were completely unsatisfied with the standards HOS required. AGAIN, out of touch with reality.

Advice to Management

Try not being a company you are not. Your massive new-build program has driven this company down from day one. Do you actually believe you are the company of choice? With quality vessels put out by Edison Chouest your company will never come up to their standards. HOS and Harvey are a prime examples of what a want to be company turns into. It's amazing how the personnel around the whole fleet can't stand being secured to the HOS dock because of visits from management. The everyday harassment by management is enough to stress anyone to the point of -----------------------------------------------? you figure it out

6. Fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Fleet Recruiting Manager in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Fleet Recruiting Manager in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities; positively challenged; fantastic work staff and environment; Great office to mariner relationships; Safety culture; environmentally responsible; Industry Leader

Cons

NONE other than the effect of the economy on the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry

Advice to Management

Stay the current course!; Continue to listen and act upon employee suggestions; Continue mariner to shoreside relations as positive means of effective communication between fleet and HQ employees.

7. Good Company in Hard Times

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time

Pros

Had good pay and benefits, still have some of the best boats around. Used to have really good managers and still have a great office support group.

Cons

Due to lack of work, they are taking a hard line on pay cuts (for the fleet, don't know about management). Many boats are laid up and without work, are sending people 'on furlough'.

Advice to Management

While there is not much you can do when there is no contracts, putting intentional stress on crews after cutting their pay, is a wrong way to build up a professional core for rebuilding if or when the shortages finally end.

Everyone in any management position just seems to tell you what you want to hear.

Pros

The only good reason to work here would be the health insurance. Beyond that, there is no good reason to work here.

Cons

All upper management cares about are the shareholders. All licensed officers are required to attend annual training meetings where upper management just tries to get you to believe otherwise. The Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Carl Annessa does seem to be very sincere at these yearly presentations. However, that makes you wonder how disconnected he is with what is truly going on in the fleet and middle management or if he is just the biggest liar of the group.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with your employees. Why do we have to call and call or send repeated emails to not have anyone respond? The only way we get any answers is to call upper management. If your middle management is "afraid" to make the call and let your employees know what is going on, then you need to find someone that is willing to accept that responsibility.

9. Good company to work for with lots of opportunities, industry is difficult with the swings based on oil price.

Current Employee - Mate in Port Fourchon, LA
    Current Employee - Mate in Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time

Pros

Does what's best for their employees. Always have opportunities to advance, and will work with you to make your time very easy, values employees.

Cons

The oil and gas industry is difficult to work for, and as a result companies need to cut back when times get tough. They do all they can for the employee though in tough times.

Advice to Management

Be more forward with plans when tough times come about. There are many rumors in tough times which leads to panic with some people. More office correspondence with happenings would help to ease this panic.

10. Average Bayou Outfit

Former Employee - Engineer-In-Training in Covington, LA
    Former Employee - Engineer-In-Training in Covington, LA

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid partial travel, matching 401K, paid training. This is all before oil went bust. Hopefully they start bringing these back when things pick up.

Cons

Company built too many boats too fast and hired too many people. Company is currently in panic mode. All talks are about cut backs, lay offs, pay cuts, and demotions.

Advice to Management

Good luck!

11. Mixed Blessing

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time

Pros

High pay-rate. Vessels are clean. Good people on boat crews.

Cons

Management doesn't take good care of employees. Barge-like design makes 240 class OSV the worst riding boat I've ever sailed.

Advice to Management

Small things like paying for rental cars and making reimbursements happen in a timely fashion go a long way towards making employees feel appreciated. Feeling appreciated leads people to take ownership.

RSS Feed </> Embed