Hornbeck Offshore

Hornbeck Offshore Chairman, President, CEO, and Secretary Todd M. Hornbeck

Todd M. Hornbeck

Cadet

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore as an intern

ProsGreat training environment for both engine and deck.

ConsNo real cons for being a cadet with Hornbeck offshore.

Very satisfied after 10 years

Chief Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood advancement opportunities, good pay, great benefits. New vessels being built currently extending the range of new equipment and opportunities.

ConsSome micro-management from the shore side personnel. Disconnect between the head office and the vessel personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to your roots and reconnect with the vessel crews on a personal level.

Growing company with pains

Mate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than a year

ProsDriven and growing company. The structure, operations, and direction of the company are strong. Salaries are very competitive. Newer equipment, good resources, access to management if need be. One of top boat companies.

ConsThe osv employees from years past that linger bring down the overall functionality of the business. They are not motivated and hold no accountability. The office keeps a strong hold as if they are directing monkeys. The income here is unbelievable for the required work actually done. I suppose that should be a plus but it's actually pathetic. Travel allowance is paid relative to the distance you live from the office. Max allowance per rotation is $370.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn todays booming oil and gas industry you can not keep up with the good ole boys operating and working your business.

Great leadership, high growth, motivated employees!

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)
Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for less than a year

ProsThe executive team of Hornbeck Offshore has done an incredibly job shaping the culture of the company. They put their employees first and do everything they can to make a fun, peaceful atmosphere while providing many opportunities to grow, advance, and learn more, all while providing very competitive salaries.

ConsI don't have anything negative to say at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more you reward your employees, the more they will be motivated to put forth a good work product.

My experience with Hornbeck Offshore as company has been one of the best times to where I enjoy working as an employee.

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy thoughts of Hornbeck Offshore management is one of the most superb in the country. Pay, bonuses, and benefits are extremely above and beyond.

ConsTime spent away from family is the worst as one could be away for a minimum of six to nine months out of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are always improvements for any company. As one should know planned communication to every individual is challenging and doable.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat company to work for, very friendly environment.

ConsCommunications between the office and the vessels was not bad, but could be improved.

Top heavy and micro managed

ETO (Current Employee)
New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than a year

ProsPay is comparable with industry standards. Even time hitches for the most part. The larger vessels are pretty nice.

ConsCrew changes are a night mare. Crew coordinators don't really follow through to ensure a smooth crew change. All vessels and crews are micro managed. There is an us versus them mentality displayed by most of the office staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying door to door travel. Let the vessel crews manage their vessels. Management needs to be more open ad forthcoming with the vessel crews, and realize that they are an asset not a liability.

Better travel pay

Chief Engineer (Current Employee)
Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe rotation is good. The insurance is OK. They provide transportation from the airport to Fourchon.

ConsThe "travel " pay is terrible. You pay for your flight to and from if you fly into New Orleans. They only pay 370 for someone who flies long distances. If you don't work your full hitch then you don't get any travel pay. Crew changes are the worst that I have encountered while in the industry. No one has a clue of what is going on from the crew coordinator to the Officers at home that are getting a half days pay to set this up. There is no communication with the on coming crew.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying for travel and pay for hotel rooms for the guys that fly in the night before.

Good company

Captain (Current Employee)
Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore for more than 5 years

ProsGood company to work for.

ConsDo what you have to for the company. You are part owner

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Overall a good workplace

Master (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore

ProsThe company stands behind its workers. The pay has recently caught up and surpassed the competition (hope they keep it up there). Equipment is well maintained. Good support from shore base, sat TV and V-Sat on vessels for crews coms with home. Pretty good benifits, new vessels coming out. Overall I am happy to work here with the even time schedule 21/21

ConsPay until recently was sub-par, Older vessels are uncomfortable and cramped, Could be better employee support and benifits, No performance based pay increase (a poor worker or less experienced worker may make the same as you), Rediculous amount of paperwork!!!, Quick to lay fault on vessel crew without taking into account shore sides responsibility, Hard to get training if it is not something that does not directly benifit the company. The older vessels still do not have V-Sat, phone and sat tv forthe crew ( I have been told they are going to be retrofitted, The Hornbeck designed vessels ride terrible and are uncomfortable and cramped, They have grown to where you are just a number now I like the smaller company feeling where you are family,

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the pay high, and be selective about personnel to get and keep the best you have to pay well, listen to them and treat them well. Only keep the best of the best get rid of the ones who do not meet the cut don't just let them tag along on the others coat tails.

Worked for Hornbeck Offshore? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hornbeck Offshore reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hornbeck Offshore CEO Todd M. Hornbeck. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Hornbeck Offshore employees.