Hornbeck Offshore Reviews

31 reviews filtered by
3.6
Hornbeck Offshore Chairman, President, CEO, and Secretary Todd M. Hornbeck
Todd M. Hornbeck

1. Good company to work for with lots of opportunities, industry is difficult with the swings based on oil price.

Current Employee - Mate in Port Fourchon, LA
    Current Employee - Mate in Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time

Pros

Does what's best for their employees. Always have opportunities to advance, and will work with you to make your time very easy, values employees.

Cons

The oil and gas industry is difficult to work for, and as a result companies need to cut back when times get tough. They do all they can for the employee though in tough times.

Advice to Management

Be more forward with plans when tough times come about. There are many rumors in tough times which leads to panic with some people. More office correspondence with happenings would help to ease this panic.

2. Average Bayou Outfit

Former Employee - Engineer-In-Training in Covington, LA
    Former Employee - Engineer-In-Training in Covington, LA

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid partial travel, matching 401K, paid training. This is all before oil went bust. Hopefully they start bringing these back when things pick up.

Cons

Company built too many boats too fast and hired too many people. Company is currently in panic mode. All talks are about cut backs, lay offs, pay cuts, and demotions.

Advice to Management

Good luck!

3. Mixed Blessing

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time

Pros

High pay-rate.
    Vessels are clean.
    Good people on boat crews.

Cons

Management doesn't take good care of employees.
    Barge-like design makes 240 class OSV the worst riding boat I've ever sailed.

Advice to Management

Small things like paying for rental cars and making reimbursements happen in a timely fashion go a long way towards making employees feel appreciated. Feeling appreciated leads people to take ownership.

5. Good company overall

Current Employee - Able Body Seaman
    Current Employee - Able Body Seaman

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with, competitive pay.

Cons

Poor communication from management to its vessels.

Fell short of expectations...

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore full-time

Pros

I was able to learn a new branch of the maritime industry since I had never worked with workboats previously. My coworkers were wonderful and capable people if given the chance to excel, which they weren't.

Cons

I worked with a lot of former USCG that had little to no experience in the commercial maritime world and yet held high positions in the Company, for what, status? Please... The level of micromanagement is crazy. Most of the women can barely get past the title of "Administrator" because its the "good ole boys" club. They are not family friendly. They say they are, but words don't match their actions. And if the COO is in a bad mood like he was one day, he comes to the monthly meeting and tells the VGMs to fire one person from each of their boats and to each department head the same treatment. Awesome, right? I find that Hornbeck is more like a high school teenager than the "company of choice"; more concerned with how they look and are perceived by others superficially.

Advice to Management

Quit building and focus on the problems you already have. Hire competent industry veterans and shake that USCG fetish you have. You need more engineers working for you than deck people. Take your external audits and inspections seriously and don't argue. Stop creating more paperwork and forms, you've done more than what is required. Cut down on the New Hire Orientation. Its too long and its too "Go Hornbeck". Teach them safety and ops stuff and then release them to their boats. I could go on...

There ok

Current Employee - OICNW in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - OICNW in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great salary and benefits package

Cons

The office is completely disconnected with the fleet

Advice to Management

Get down to the boats more

8. Hornbeck Offshore is becoming a "Choice of Service" to its clients.

Current Employee - Sailor in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Sailor in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The reason I like working here are the professionalism of their employees. Their pay scale is awesome and bonuses is rewarding.

Cons

Being away form you family is the biggest complaint. Infidelity is another problem on both sides of the relationship.

Advice to Management

Persons who has to work overseas should get a health compensation pay hike. If an immediate family member gets ill the employer should compensated for the days lost in taking care of their family, like vacation time.

Not too bad....still issues to work out for sure.

Current Employee - Deck Officer in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Deck Officer in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent boats, good ONBOARD training, variety of schedules.

Cons

You're just another number. Don't expect any exceptional treatment even if you do a fantastic job. If you do great, you're left alone. If you screw up a little bit, expect hellfire and brimstone. Yes you get quarterly bonuses, if the world is perfect and the planets are aligned. Any tiny discrepancy whatsoever forfeits your quarterly bonus. Big disconnect between office personnel and boat crews. Overly complicated and burdensome travel pay rules and so-called "longevity" pay (Definitely not what it sounds like).

Advice to Management

Stop purposely attempting to confuse and mislead employees on travel pay & reimbursement and longevity. Competing companies pay door to door on travel pay. Make it a selling point for your company that you do so, like competitors. This way it would never be a point of contention and poor moral. It would be the reverse. Longevity: pay an employee for the TOTAL number of years they've been employed and pay them for all of those years at their CURRENT rate based on their CURRENT position. Again, a selling point instead of a point of contention. Are we seeing a trend here?

Very Dissappointing

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people in field and on vessels

Cons

Very poor upper management leadership

Advice to Management

Re-evaulate

Big disconnect between vessels and office

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore

Pros

The boat life is great! The crews are awesome. Schedule is great 12hr shifts. The rotation is also just right 21-21 is the best I've worked. The day rates are also very good.

Cons

Travel pay is not good. They pay 370$ a hitch if your far enough away. It's not uncommon for them to make a mistake and forget to put your travel pay on your paycheck. Another negative is they tax your 370$ travel pay. It actually only works out to around 300$ after taxed. When I was hired I was told I would be able to get school assistance as long as I received a recommendation from the master of the vessel. I did get the letter and was not denied just never responded to at all after several phone calls and messages and emails. The office defiantly treats you as a number. Also they don't pay very many holidays. You can get a safety bonus as long as nobody gets hurt on your vessel, I think that's cool you could get an extra couple days pay but at the same time it's very misleading. People feel as if the can't report anything because they don't want to take away the crews whole bonus. I don't think that's a very good way to have a good safety record. It breeds the wrong culture.

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to the crew more. Adjust the travel pay. The disconnection between offshore and shoreside needs serious attention. Half the time the crew coordinator is not even aware if your at home or on the boat. Stick to you promise when you hire and be honest if your going to give school assistance or not. Return phone calls or emails even if it's a conversation you want to avoid. Change the safety bonus so people are more honest about injuries.