Hornbeck Offshore

Updated August 6, 2014
3.5

Hornbeck Offshore Chairman, President, CEO, and Secretary Todd M. Hornbeck
Todd M. Hornbeck

Hornbeck Offshore is becoming a "Choice of Service" to its clients.

Current Employee - Sailor  in  Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Sailor in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The reason I like working here are the professionalism of their employees. Their pay scale is awesome and bonuses is rewarding.

Cons

Being away form you family is the biggest complaint. Infidelity is another problem on both sides of the relationship.

Persons who has to work overseas should get a health compensation pay hike. If an immediate family member gets ill the employer should compensated for the days lost in taking care of their family, like vacation time.

Not too bad....still issues to work out for sure.

Current Employee - Deck Officer  in  Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Deck Officer in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent boats, good ONBOARD training, variety of schedules.

Cons

You're just another number. Don't expect any exceptional treatment even if you do a fantastic job. If you do great, you're left alone. If you screw up a little bit, expect hellfire and brimstone. Yes you get quarterly bonuses, if the world is perfect and the planets are aligned. Any tiny discrepancy whatsoever forfeits your quarterly bonus. Big disconnect between office personnel and boat crews. Overly complicated and burdensome travel pay rules and so-called "longevity" pay (Definitely not what it sounds like).

Stop purposely attempting to confuse and mislead employees on travel pay & reimbursement and longevity. Competing companies pay door to door on travel pay. Make it a selling point for your company that you do so, like competitors. This way it would never be a point of contention and poor moral. It would be the reverse. Longevity: pay an employee for the TOTAL number of years they've been employed and pay them for all of those years at their CURRENT rate based on their CURRENT position. Again, a selling point instead of a point of contention. Are we seeing a trend here?

Very Dissappointing

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people in field and on vessels

Cons

Very poor upper management leadership

Re-evaulate

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big disconnect between vessels and office

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore

Pros

The boat life is great! The crews are awesome. Schedule is great 12hr shifts. The rotation is also just right 21-21 is the best I've worked. The day rates are also very good.

Cons

Travel pay is not good. They pay 370$ a hitch if your far enough away. It's not uncommon for them to make a mistake and forget to put your travel pay on your paycheck. Another negative is they tax your 370$ travel pay. It actually only works out to around 300$ after taxed. When I was hired I was told I would be able to get school assistance as long as I received a recommendation from the master of the vessel. I did get the letter and was not denied just never responded to at all after several phone calls and messages and emails. The office defiantly treats you as a number. Also they don't pay very many holidays. You can get a safety bonus as long as nobody gets hurt on your vessel, I think that's cool you could get an extra couple days pay but at the same time it's very misleading. People feel as if the can't report anything because they don't want to take away the crews whole bonus. I don't think that's a very good way to have a good safety record. It breeds the wrong culture.

Please pay attention to the crew more. Adjust the travel pay. The disconnection between offshore and shoreside needs serious attention. Half the time the crew coordinator is not even aware if your at home or on the boat. Stick to you promise when you hire and be honest if your going to give school assistance or not. Return phone calls or emails even if it's a conversation you want to avoid. Change the safety bonus so people are more honest about injuries.

Cadet

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore as an intern

Pros

Great training environment for both engine and deck.

Cons

No real cons for being a cadet with Hornbeck offshore.

Very satisfied after 10 years

Current Employee - Chief Engineer  in  Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good advancement opportunities, good pay, great benefits. New vessels being built currently extending the range of new equipment and opportunities.

Cons

Some micro-management from the shore side personnel. Disconnect between the head office and the vessel personnel.

Go back to your roots and reconnect with the vessel crews on a personal level.

Growing company with pains

Current Employee - Mate  in  Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Mate in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than a year

Pros

Driven and growing company. The structure, operations, and direction of the company are strong. Salaries are very competitive. Newer equipment, good resources, access to management if need be. One of top boat companies.

Cons

The osv employees from years past that linger bring down the overall functionality of the business. They are not motivated and hold no accountability. The office keeps a strong hold as if they are directing monkeys. The income here is unbelievable for the required work actually done. I suppose that should be a plus but it's actually pathetic. Travel allowance is paid relative to the distance you live from the office. Max allowance per rotation is $370.

In todays booming oil and gas industry you can not keep up with the good ole boys operating and working your business.

Great leadership, high growth, motivated employees!

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for less than a year

Pros

The executive team of Hornbeck Offshore has done an incredibly job shaping the culture of the company. They put their employees first and do everything they can to make a fun, peaceful atmosphere while providing many opportunities to grow, advance, and learn more, all while providing very competitive salaries.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say at this time.

The more you reward your employees, the more they will be motivated to put forth a good work product.

My experience with Hornbeck Offshore as company has been one of the best times to where I enjoy working as an employee.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My thoughts of Hornbeck Offshore management is one of the most superb in the country. Pay, bonuses, and benefits are extremely above and beyond.

Cons

Time spent away from family is the worst as one could be away for a minimum of six to nine months out of the year.

There are always improvements for any company. As one should know planned communication to every individual is challenging and doable.

Great

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for, very friendly environment.

Cons

Communications between the office and the vessels was not bad, but could be improved.

Worked for Hornbeck Offshore? Contribute to the Community!