Hornbeck Offshore

Todd M. Hornbeck

Very satisfied after 10 years

Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good advancement opportunities, good pay, great benefits. New vessels being built currently extending the range of new equipment and opportunities.

Cons

Some micro-management from the shore side personnel. Disconnect between the head office and the vessel personnel.

Go back to your roots and reconnect with the vessel crews on a personal level.

Growing company with pains

Current Employee - Mate in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Mate in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Driven and growing company. The structure, operations, and direction of the company are strong. Salaries are very competitive. Newer equipment, good resources, access to management if need be. One of top boat companies.

Cons

The osv employees from years past that linger bring down the overall functionality of the business. They are not motivated and hold no accountability. The office keeps a strong hold as if they are directing monkeys. The income here is unbelievable for the required work actually done. I suppose that should be a plus but it's actually pathetic. Travel allowance is paid relative to the distance you live from the office. Max allowance per rotation is $370.

In todays booming oil and gas industry you can not keep up with the good ole boys operating and working your business.

Great leadership, high growth, motivated employees!

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The executive team of Hornbeck Offshore has done an incredibly job shaping the culture of the company. They put their employees first and do everything they can to make a fun, peaceful atmosphere while providing many opportunities to grow, advance, and learn more, all while providing very competitive salaries.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say at this time.

The more you reward your employees, the more they will be motivated to put forth a good work product.

My experience with Hornbeck Offshore as company has been one of the best times to where I enjoy working as an employee.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My thoughts of Hornbeck Offshore management is one of the most superb in the country. Pay, bonuses, and benefits are extremely above and beyond.

Cons

Time spent away from family is the worst as one could be away for a minimum of six to nine months out of the year.

There are always improvements for any company. As one should know planned communication to every individual is challenging and doable.

Great

I worked at Hornbeck Offshore as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, very friendly environment.

Cons

Communications between the office and the vessels was not bad, but could be improved.

Top heavy and micro managed

Current Employee - ETO in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - ETO in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is comparable with industry standards. Even time hitches for the most part. The larger vessels are pretty nice.

Cons

Crew changes are a night mare. Crew coordinators don't really follow through to ensure a smooth crew change. All vessels and crews are micro managed. There is an us versus them mentality displayed by most of the office staff.

Start paying door to door travel. Let the vessel crews manage their vessels. Management needs to be more open ad forthcoming with the vessel crews, and realize that they are an asset not a liability.

Better travel pay

Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Port Fourchon, LA
    Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The rotation is good. The insurance is OK. They provide transportation from the airport to Fourchon.

Cons

The "travel " pay is terrible. You pay for your flight to and from if you fly into New Orleans. They only pay 370 for someone who flies long distances. If you don't work your full hitch then you don't get any travel pay. Crew changes are the worst that I have encountered while in the industry. No one has a clue of what is going on from the crew coordinator to the Officers at home that are getting a half days pay to set this up. There is no communication with the on coming crew.

Start paying for travel and pay for hotel rooms for the guys that fly in the night before.

Good company

Current Employee - Captain in Port Fourchon, LA
    Current Employee - Captain in Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Do what you have to for the company. You are part owner

None

Overall a good workplace

Current Employee - Master in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Master in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore

Pros

The company stands behind its workers. The pay has recently caught up and surpassed the competition (hope they keep it up there). Equipment is well maintained. Good support from shore base, sat TV and V-Sat on vessels for crews coms with home. Pretty good benifits, new vessels coming out. Overall I am happy to work here with the even time schedule 21/21

Cons

Pay until recently was sub-par, Older vessels are uncomfortable and cramped, Could be better employee support and benifits, No performance based pay increase (a poor worker or less experienced worker may make the same as you), Rediculous amount of paperwork!!!, Quick to lay fault on vessel crew without taking into account shore sides responsibility, Hard to get training if it is not something that does not directly benifit the company. The older vessels still do not have V-Sat, phone and sat tv forthe crew ( I have been told they are going to be retrofitted, The Hornbeck designed vessels ride terrible and are uncomfortable and cramped, They have grown to where you are just a number now I like the smaller company feeling where you are family,

Keep the pay high, and be selective about personnel to get and keep the best you have to pay well, listen to them and treat them well. Only keep the best of the best get rid of the ones who do not meet the cut don't just let them tag along on the others coat tails.

Stable and great benefits but low pay

Current Employee - Able Seaman in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Able Seaman in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore

Pros

Hornbeck is stable work, with exceptional benefits. The health insurance is a group plan with BCBS which is excellent, the vision is so-so, the dental is decent, short term and long term disability, they have reinstated 401k match and given raises to all officers to be a bit more competitive with the industry standard. They are building several new 280' supply boats. Great place to work if you are a mate, engineer or captain.

Cons

Paperwork is horrible, I'm no hippie but the amount of trees that have been killed for the companies legal papertrail is insane. It takes more time to do a jsa to use the head, than it takes to perform the task.
    RATINGS ARE UNDERPAID, I am talking about $100 per day less than their competitors pay.
    Don't let them fool you in orientation, the safety bonus is non existent. If someone on the other hitch stubs their toe while you are at home, every crewmember loses their two day per quarter safety bonus.
    They also will promise to send you to school to upgrade. FALSE! I have several letters of recommendation from mates an masters and can't get approved for compensation.
    The accommodations are pretty crappy, some boats are alright but I've been on 30 year old tugs with better..

Live up to your promises, Increase rating pay, send employees to school if they meet all your requirements. Less paperwork or at least go electronic, better treatment for the guys who are earning the money for you.