Horry Telephone

Michael Hagg

Satisfied

Current Employee - Computer Operator in Conway, SC
    Current Employee - Computer Operator in Conway, SC

I have been working at Horry Telephone part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, great environment, and it is a pretty diverse company, with people from different backgrounds that now work together. That's encourages a positive environment, and makes coming to work that much easier.

Cons

Not many of these to discuss as I haven't been in the company long enough to find these out. Seeing as I haven't been told to beware of things, i'll assume they are vary from person to person.

Operate Services is a joke

Former Employee - Operator I
    Former Employee - Operator I

I worked at Horry Telephone part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mostly good co-workers and that's about it.

Cons

Quite possibly the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working for. Little to no training which was sporadic when it did actually take place. A pay rate that was absolutely laughable with nickel and dime raises. A supervisor that cared more about gossiping with her clique behind her constantly closed office door even though the HTC employee manual clearly stated an "open door policy" would be enforced at all times. This type of activity by the supervisor also resulted and continues to result in the Operator Services department having the highest turnover rate in the entire company. However, in order to keep themselves within the good graces of the HTC higher-ups, the aforementioned supervisor buys them off with expensive gifts at any opportunity they can think of. All together, horrible company, conceded supervisor, and corrupt management.

Take a real close look at the supervisor's work ethics and extremely high employee turnover rate of the Operator Services department. There's a reason why individuals who were there for upwards of 19 years and chose to quit instead of putting up with the b.s. of this supervisor for one more minute. There is definitely a problem with this department and you know her name...

Caring co-worker but outdated

Current Employee - Customer Service in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Horry Telephone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible people, easy to get support, great benefits.

Cons

THE PAY IS HORRIBLE!!! The training is also nearly non-existent.

Pay people what they are worth. For the level of professionalism you are required to operate at you are compensated so little.

Great A+++

Current Employee - Advanced Product Support in Conway, SC
    Current Employee - Advanced Product Support in Conway, SC

I have been working at Horry Telephone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Pay, and great people

Cons

has issues with getting anything implemented when it is said to be done.

would be great to have a little higher salary for all of the job functions that we do.

Disheartening lack of growth potential, lack of forward thinking, and subpar pay mar what could be a great opportunity.

Current Employee - Internet Support I in Conway, SC
    Current Employee - Internet Support I in Conway, SC

I have been working at Horry Telephone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefit package with HTC is very good, better than most packages offered that I have seen. A more relaxed atmosphere throughout the departments is welcomed mostly company wide. HTC matches a decent amount of pay withheld for retirement investments. Most individuals you will work with are like minded and a pleasure to be around. Employee discounts on services and for many local businesses. Employees who work weekends and shifts that mostly operate outside of normal business hours are allowed to wear more casual attire if so inclined. Location of offices are well placed with several places to choose from for eating in case you have specific food requirements. Available free health/financial advisor and appointment only nurse care.

Cons

Lack of growth company wide both for employees and the business as a whole. HTC runs on a "Good 'ole' boy" system and a "Wait until it's broken" approach to technology. It's hard for an employee to progress meaningfully within the company and there is a disconcerting lack of training/training programs. It may have been possible 20 or so years ago to work your way up however the company is still being run as it was 20 years ago and it is almost impossible to move forward. Pay is also very low for most positions and the proposed job titles often do not accurately reflect the position you will be hold. Technology positions requiring a degree are well below the lowest 10% pay range and at maximum earning potential after 8 years of being in the position the salary stalls in the lower 25% range. Fluctuating shifts and scheduling is another large concern for most employees as this is no longer Monday - Friday 8 - 5 but rather "24/7" support. Employees often work most holidays.

Develop departmental infrastructure and reevaluate positions, titles, and pay for employees. Reassess current management/management structure. Push the company toward more forward thinking ideas and technological movements (Ipv6, more reasonable internet speed offerings, etc). Reassess the current marketing strategies and target market. Update internal technological infrastructure and work on communicating more effective throughout the entire company.

Strong and caring company to work for

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Conway, SC
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Conway, SC

I have been working at Horry Telephone

Pros

The people of HTC are the best reason to work there. The team environment is exceptionally supportive and everyone tries to work together for the best of the organization. On top of that, particularly in my group, the tools we are given to work with are very good. We forge ahead of the curve where technology is concerned and the company appears to be proactive and forward thinking.

Cons

We are facing a period of strong competition, which is a hard adjustment for a company which has been a monopoly for much of its existence. Interdepartmental communication is limited and those that exist are informal. That makes the job difficult sometimes when expectations aren't communicated and projects are dropped on workers at the last minute with short deadlines.

Continue to express the need for change in departments throughout the company to help each employee adapt to our new market conditions.

Horry Telephone is a telephone cooperative with country values.

Current Employee - Information Technology Employee in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Information Technology Employee in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Horry Telephone

Pros

Horry Telephone Cooperative provides exceptional benefits including two retirement programs that match 12 percent for your two percent contribution, Blue Cross insurance with no salary deduction and very low deductibles, a Paid Time Off (PTO) program, FLEX spending accounts, cell phone discount (we are the ATT carrier in the area), local phone discount, and cable TV discount. HTC has a supportive work environment that promotes goodwill among coworkers. HTC is strict about working from 8 am to 5 pm but promotes a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Many employees stay at HTC for 20 years, 30 years or more. For the IT worker HTC is an excellent place to grow. HTC is an early adopter in new technologies (VMWare, Citrix, Fiber, SAN, 10Gig, WiMax) allowing the relatively small IT staff to become deeply immersed.

Cons

Shockingly, HTC still hasn't moved past the grey walls and cubicle farms of the 1980s. The "build it cheap" mentality has resulted in a much higher infrastructure TCO and plays havoc with the mental health of employees. Those who commit 10+ years to the company are promoted to middle management and rewarded with a window to the rural South Carolina landscape--though many windows face a railroad track that runs through the main HTC corporate campus. The daily trains that run coal to the local steam-electric plant shake the very foundation of the HTC campus. HTC is the gloomiest work environment I have ever labored in. Friendly, thoughtful coworkers make up for the drab sterile offices and mind-numbing florescent lights (hey, are skylights too expensive?). HTC pays low IT salaries compared to companies in major metropolitan areas. My job would pay 30 percent more in Raleigh/Durham, for example. But the HTC compensation package is excellent compared to most other companies except perhaps Google.

Paint with color. Install some skylights. Widen the hallways. Get rid of the cubicles -- every salaried employee should have an office with a door. There are employees with 20+ years IT experience, multiple grown kids, and 80k+ salaries working out of tiny grey cubicles. Embarassing.