Hospice Advantage

Updated August 3, 2014
Updated August 3, 2014
3.4

Rod Hildebrant

Constant changes, tremendous support from corporate office, however, overworked.

Current Employee - Team Coordinator in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Team Coordinator in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Hospice Advantage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's for a good cause. Employees are very tender hearted. Can work your way up if you work hard. They do things the right way even if it means loosing money.

Cons

Lots of changes and turnover. Medicare making things hard currently. Sometimes, I get the feeling it's more about "the numbers" but lately things have been improving.

Employees are overworked, especially when having to train another employee.

Confused

Former Employee - Administrator in Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Administrator in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Hospice Advantage full-time

Pros

None at this point in time.

Cons

Unfortunately this is a company that had a noble beginning and as many companies has lost its way. The company has become numbers driven with no sense of how to get there.

They scapegoat and sacrifice employees while never taking an introspective look at themselves (corporate) and taking ownership in the fact that they are the problem.

They make fantasy benchmark census numbers to make the company look better on paper than it is and expect managers and salesmen to hit these fictitious numbers know they have no good plan themselves on how to reach these numbers.

The RVPS are glorified hit men/ yes men who are just as clueless as to how to make the company grow. Instead using tried and true methods they want to blaze their own path which I fear leads over a large cliff.

They manufacture numbers by purchasing census from other failing hospices.

The original owners are on the edge of losing the company to an investment group. They have sold the soul of the company in the hopes of growth and wealth, but I fear disappointment will ensue in a relative short amount of time.

For those of you reading these words..... mark them and take stock in them..... you will remember and regret not heeding them in your future if in fact you take a job with this company.

GOOD LUCK!

Take ownership in YOUR mistakes and admit when you are the cause of your collapsed house. Don't be Nero and play while Rome burns.

Still no change!

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Hospice Advantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely none. Poor management at all levels. Run and don't look back!

Cons

I worked there a year ago and it still seems they have the same problems. HA you make other hospices who are doing the right thing look bad. Throw in the towel or sell to the highest bidder. You don't deserve to be in this business.

Get out while you can.

Love the hospice concept

I have been working at Hospice Advantage

Pros

End of life care is top priority. No matter the cost to the company no one dies alone. Loosing a pt to another company and finding out they were abandoning that pt is hard for us to handle. Hospice Advantage is number one when it comes to doing the right thing!

Cons

The job will eat you alive......but that's just hospice no matter who you work for its the same stress just in a different color.

Give a little on the benchmarks. Can't be super good at taking care of pts if we constantly have to worry about the bottom line.

A wonderful place to work!

Current Employee - Nursing Assistant in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Nursing Assistant in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Hospice Advantage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits are great. (Vision, Health, Dental, Ortho, 401k, and Life insurance.

-Wonderful tools to help dementia/Alzheimer patients.

-Continued education through in-services.

-Coworkers that are easy to get along with and that are all concerned for the patient.

Cons

They will work you to death (if you let them)

The yearly raises are VERY minimal. Less than 11$ a week.

Give raises based on employees worth ethic. If there is an employee working harder than others, they deserve a higher raise. (Obviously it's not up to the CSD, or Administrator)

Show Me The Money!

I worked at Hospice Advantage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Have some good clinical people that do care and do give good care when allowed.

Cons

Census = $$. When you start chasing census you lose compassion. It's all a numbers game here. I understand you have to make money to keep the doors open but Hospice Advantage pushes numbers constantly. Anxiety and tension are felt by everyone.

Try practicing the "Compassion" you have on your literature. You have good employees that care about patients and that do a good job but when you constantly push for more and then don't show them compassion this is why you see so much turnover. You can't just listen to the people that are afraid to oppose you.

I love Hospice Advantage, worked here for almost 2 years, patient care is # 1.

Current Employee - RN, Case Manager
    Current Employee - RN, Case Manager

I have been working at Hospice Advantage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is competitive, mileage is good, understanding company.

Cons

They will work you to death, if you let them ;)

Clueless management focused on the wrong things overwork their employees, don't appreciate the ones that do work hard.

Former Employee - Spiritual Care Coordinator & Grief Support Specialist in Liberty, MO

I worked at Hospice Advantage part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had the ability to set my own hours of work as long as I got my visits done for the month. I enjoyed the weekly pay check. I enjoyed working with the field nurses and home health aides. I loved my patients and the one to one work I got to do with them.

Cons

Hired as a Per diem person and expected to do two jobs. All jobs with this company are per diem and full time positions are offered when census reaches a certain number AND Management makes a request to corporate to create a FT position. But FT positions cost more money than per diem, so why offer FT when people will work per diem. No benefits are offered to per diem employees except a 6% match on their 401K contributions, but they have to stay with the company for 5 years in order to take that match with them. The turn over is so high that very few actually stay longer than year.

When the census reached the number of patients necessary for my position to be split and go full time, it was never done. Promises were made to get me help so I could carry out my unrealistic workload. I did the best I could and got no support. I felt alone and abandoned, so I left on my own terms. There is no management in this company. The corporate office has a person who oversees the Family Support Services and rather than providing resources to the local offices is asking the local offices to resource the corporate office. There is something wrong with that picture.

The local office I worked at was a mess and remains a mess. In the three years I worked there we have had a turn over in Clinical Service Directors four times, with the office bringing back a CSD that did not need to be trained, although previous performance was questionable.

All the offices in the region are a mess, because I covered for all four of them at one time or another in my tenure. The turnover rate is very high. I trained staff for my positions(s) in other offices and only 2 of 7 of the folks I trained are still with the company. There is so much personal drama of the staff brought into the workplace and it affects the field. I had No training...I had to figure out my job on my own.

My education and experience was not appreciated or rewarded. There was no room for me to grow personally or professionally, although the company sure utilized my skills to clean up a number or 'messes' There is no coordinated training, or program. Programs are actually a list of tasks that need to be done to meet the minimum state requirements. There is always an expectation that you will be available to the company and eat, sleep and breath Hospice Advantage. And finally, the Administrator isn't very friendly, didn't even speak to me to say goodbye when I left the company. Some describe him as a dictator, others say he yells a lot. I found him aloof and focused only on numbers and the bottom line.

Hire QUALIFIED staff. Offer quality training. Get out of Bay City and visit the field offices and listen to the staff who provide day to day patient care. Local management is telling you what you want to hear and not what is really happening. You are loosing good, qualified employees in the field because your management is clueless and focused on profits before people.

I love working for this company.

Current Employee - Regional Manager of Clinical Services in Bay City, MI
    Current Employee - Regional Manager of Clinical Services in Bay City, MI

I have been working at Hospice Advantage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the best, caring and compassionate people work for Hospice Advantage. The experience, knowledge and dedication they exhibit make it easy to strive for performance excellence while delivering the best end of life care for patients and their families. The leadership of the team is dedicated to compliance while providing the highest quality of care.

Cons

I haven't experienced a down side to working for Hospice Advantage.

Keep up the wonderful support and encouragement to achieve excellence while focusing on care, comfort and compassion for the whole family!!! The success of our endeavors starts with the wisdom and vision of our leaders

Care, Comfort and Compassion for the Whole Family

Current Employee - Admissions Director in Vicksburg, MS
    Current Employee - Admissions Director in Vicksburg, MS

I have been working at Hospice Advantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hospice Advantage is a great place to work. The team I work with exhibits the company's core beliefs everyday to provide the best end-of-life care to our patients and families. I would recommend Hospice Advantage to friends and family as an employer and a Hospice provider. I'm pleased with my compensation, leadership and company values. I hope to work for this company for many years to come as we grow to become the nation's top hospice provider.

Cons

Honestly, I have no cons to report at this time.

Hospice Advantage Response

Apr 23, 2014HR Specialist

Thank-you for the positive feedback! We appreciate your recommendations to your friends and family and hope that you will continue to work for the company as we continue to grow and provide the best ... More