Hospice of Southwest Ohio

Joe Killian

love working here

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hamilton, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hamilton, OH

I have been working at Hospice of Southwest Ohio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is a team and supports each other and loves working here. We are allowed to make decisions regarding our patients when we need without begging our managers. The last hospice I worked at was a real negative place and Hospice of Southwest Ohio is not that way

Cons

I work long hours but I do feel like they care

You need to make sure the company doesn't change and don't hire a bunch of negative people. I love Isha the Clinical Director. She loves her staff and they love her.

Never worked here, but had the worst interview of my life there

I have been working at Hospice of Southwest Ohio

Pros

Not quite sure. Interviewee evasive to my questions. I was very qualified, but never got a return call , but I did not have a good feeling at all during the interview

Cons

Don't know why I felt so much negativity in an interview. Tried to follow-up but no response

Act professionally during an interview. Treat potential employees with respect. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I am glad they did not pursue me as an employee after reading the reviews here.

Mismanagement at the highest level

I worked at Hospice of Southwest Ohio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some workers that care about those in our care and adhere to their needs.

Cons

Being mislead and mistreated, the office staff our disconnected from what happens in the field and it shows. The lack of compassion for staff is sickening.

Learn to follow before you lead. You need to understand what it is we do and not focusing only the dollar. Hospice is more than a company about money it is a company about peace of mind.

Overwhelmingly stressful

Current Employee - STNA in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - STNA in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hospice of Southwest Ohio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay great benefits and company car

Cons

Never having hours promised. Working way beyond promised 8 to 5

Love the company

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Hospice of Southwest Ohio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone from my team to the CEO joe Killian are great to work with. I love this company they care about the patient more than HOC.

Cons

No credit for education. I would like to get my BS

Keep your staff they are great

Dismal place to work

Current Employee - Patient Care
    Current Employee - Patient Care

I have been working at Hospice of Southwest Ohio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No pros for this hospice.

Cons

Poor pay and benefit package. Very high staff turnover. Inexperienced nurses being hired and patient care suffers. Constant overtime burns out the staff. Total disconnect between owners, upper management and direct patient care staff. Quick to fire and quick to hire. No incentive for employees to stay.

Get your head out of the sand and attempt to correct the problems. Upper management sets a poor example of the "caring" attitude of hospice. Huge turnover of staff costs the company in both financial and morale terms.

Sad place to work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hospice of Southwest Ohio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. Some good caring coworkers here.

Cons

The organization in its current form is a mess. The CEO, COO do not seem to care about employees. It seems that they are only concerned with keeping the status quo. Turnover is a huge problem here, which stems from the poor treatment of employees. There is virtually no benefits package here, and the PTO policy is awful. Your lucky if you are even allowed to use PTO without management giving you a guilt trip.

Nepotism is an issue here. Favoritism is a problem here. Communication from the top down is near non existent. There is no organizational structure here. Management runs this place through fear, not compassion.

I'm not really sure what to even say here. The only thing that would improve this organization would be sweeping management changes. I expect that changes will have to be made in the future, or this organization will not be around much longer.

No Leadership, needs a Senior Management Changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hospice of Southwest Ohio full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are genuine people that work for HSWO that care about their patients and coworkers. You won't find those people in the Senior Management of HSWO.

Cons

Where do I begin? This place is so disorganized. Their is a major communication break down between the 3rd floor (Senior Management) and 2nd floor (dedicated staff). Joe Killian hire's his family to leadership positions, yet the staff working under those leaders has to pick up the pieces for their mistakes.Sorry, its the truth, and the results thus far show it. Hospice of Southwest Ohio has gone down in patient care in the last 6 months and our low census numbers supports that. Stop promoting other employees to positions that can't do the job . How about posting job openings internally, so others can apply for other positions within the organization.

What is with the inflated job titles here?
    Whats with the low compensation and terrible benefits and PTO policy?
    Whats the company mission statement? What is our core values?
    Where is the leadership? Where is the communication? Whats the future plans? Hows the performance of our company? Who would know , since this information never shared within the company.

Why do we have such a HIGH turnover rate with employees? I have never worked anywhere that was this bad.

S.Boymel, I hope you read these!! Time for a change in management or sell off to someone that can operate us like a real business!!

Joe, please hire qualified people into management positions, but I suppose you can't do that since you aren't qualified either.

Treat your employees better, and you will get better results. Stop treating us like cattle, and milking us for what we are worth. Treat us like people. You don't treat your family the same, and it shows.

A real pleasure to work for

Current Employee - IDT Member in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - IDT Member in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Hospice of Southwest Ohio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working for HSWO and find the atmosphere one of support and care for everyone including our patients and families. Love my manager and the executives know what and how to make sure priorities are for patients and families.

Cons

Case loads sometimes are heavy but the company is trying to make these lower for everyone. They just changed how visits are being made to make it easier on everyone.

I think management for this company is good and tries to do the right things.

Needs an upper management overhaul up to and including the CEO.

I have been working at Hospice of Southwest Ohio full-time

Pros

There are a few nurses who keep the company from failing miserably.

Cons

Very disorganized. Unable to retain nurses for any length of time. Annual reviews are nonexistent and employees are not rewarded. Atmosphere is punitive in nature and employees are in constant fear of being fired for making a mistake. No consistency in patient care. I would not enroll my family member in this hospice.

Need to take a long look at current managment, current management style, hiring of family and allowing family to take advantage of their positions within the company. Retention of nurse staff should be a priority. I would not refer a family member or friend to this hospice.