Hospice of the Chesapeake Reviews

Michael S. McHale

1. Lost Their Way, Very Inconsistent Management

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Pasadena, MD
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Pasadena, MD

I have been working at Hospice of the Chesapeake full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Being at a patient's bedside, really making a difference as a RN. The families I have worked with have given me a tremendous sense of purpose.

Cons

Inconsistent management.
    The annual review is oddly simplistic for the work we do and we are rated 1-4. I was told that God is a 4 and God does not work here so I should not ever expect to reach this point level. Benefits are quite poor, especially medical. No merit increases just 2% across the board regardless of performance.
    no upward mobility
    care models not followed
    LEAN management adopted and not followed consistently, if at all

focus more on the foundation of the organization, less on the future state. Allow experienced personnel to be heard by including them in the decision making process. Stop hireing Clinical Managers and senior staff who have limited/no hospice experience.

From the inside

I worked at Hospice of the Chesapeake full-time

Pros

Working with the patients and families is highly rewarding.

Cons

This is a very small organization with no management development program. Most of the mangers are clinicians with little/no management experience or training and it shows. They don't know how to establish goals and objectives and have neither the skills nor the tools necessary to fairly assess employee performance. For example, pain management is the hallmark of good hospice care and yet clinicians are not evaluated on their effectiveness in this area.

Opportunity to progress within the organization is extremely limited with the key criteria being who likes you. This is common knowledge amongst employees in all levels of the company.

Top down management style with only 3-4 individuals allowed to express observations or make suggestions for improvement.

Focus on hiring well trained, experienced managers for management positions rather than clinicians, and use clinicians as subject matter experts when patient care is relevant.

Invest in an intense, ongoing management training program.

Implement a structured performance management program for all levels within the organization and make it one of the key responsibilities of every manager to implement and maintain it.

Include professional development plans and career path options in performance plans.

Hard work!

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Hospice of the Chesapeake full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the patients and their families. Pay is OK. Management was very disorganized and focused on performance (i.e. number of visits per day), something that's hard to push when taking care of the dying. Nurses are not respected.

Cons

Road warrior. Pushed to increase quantity and not quality. Internal politics - really bad.

Top heavy, pare down. Under-staffing in the ranks. Focus and reward on quality. It's the patients who suffer when you rush staff.

Informative, educational and deeply satisfying experience

Former Employee - Public Relations in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Public Relations in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Hospice of the Chesapeake full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere where thinking out of the box is appreciated and encouraged.

Cons

Stresses of the environment often take its toll.

Broaden the tunnel vision to better utilize the talent that lies within the organization