Hospital Corporation of America

Hospital Corporation of America Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Hospital Corporation of America President and CEO R. Milton Johnson

R. Milton Johnson

Pros:
  • "Office culture is great, very laid back, and the work life balance is nice"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Good benefits, free uniforms, nice coworkers"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper management constantly micromanage and inconsistent with policies and procedures"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Will never work for this company again!

RN Charge Nurse (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsI worked for HCA for over 20 years. They were very conscious of patient satisfaction and good care. Recently. It was all about money and dangerously cutting staff. Several patient falls, and only hiring new grads. Having unbearable assignments of up to 8 or more patients with the charge nurse at times having to take just as many in order to take some of the load off the nurses. Very poor nurse moral, and no plans in place to make any of this better. Finally left, vowing to never let a hospital turn me in to a nurse I know I never want ro be.

ConsRecently. It was all about money and dangerously cutting staff. Several patient falls, and only hiring new grads. Having unbearable assignments of up to 8 or more patients with the charge nurse at times having to take just as many in order to take some of the load off the nurses. Very poor nurse moral, and no plans in place to make any of this better. Finally left, vowing to never let a hospital turn me in to a nurse I know I never want ro be.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late to turn things around

Great Experience

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsGreat experience with acute patients. This company is great with giving new grads a chance by offering them their first jobs. This company pays average when comparing similar jobs in the same area.

ConsIt can sometimes be hard to get the hours and shifts that you prefer to work, especially if you are a new hire.

It's been great thus far!

ProsThere are a lot of different places to work within the network! Are a lot of different types of nursing jobs too- it makes it possible to stay with HCA but switch positions if you're ready for a change and growth.

ConsI've been applying for a transfer and for some reason I'm not being considered despite having a perfect track record with employment and reviews.?? Why??

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone has a perfect record for employment and reviews they should be considered for alternate positions- in another HCA facility!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetent, Underpaid

Technical Analyst I (Former Employee)
    Snellville, GA

ProsVery limited on Pros. Had alot of potential until management was unable to maintain.

ConsLousy management when present (most moved or got fired), limited advancement unless out of state, Outdated models of clinical applications compared to other companies. Meditech being a primary example. Windows XP being another example. Alot of revolving doors in the particular facility I speak of and "duct-tape" fixing instead of doing it right.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider firing most of TriStar Division IT&S Leadership!

Good company to work for.

Manager Information Systems (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsI really enjoyed my job there.

ConsThey bought the company I was working for and I eventually got laid off.

poor benefits great company

Platform Engineer (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsI have worked with some great teams and the plethora of experiences you can gain are amazing

Consthey work you like a dog and pay as little as possible

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want someone who can do 3 jobs, pay them like they're doing 3 jobs. The benefits are embarassing, match higher on the 401k, bring an employee stock purchase program or expand who can get options, and lower the costs of healthcare insurance. if you cant lower the cost, let employees change it midyear.

Decent place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMeaningful and interesting work. There seem to be a lot of opportunities to develop skills and advance within the company. There are many talented employees who can serve as resources for work challenges and career development. The company promotes a culture of integrity and seems to be committed to it.

ConsIt seems that one must be willing to move in order to advance within the company. There doesn't appear to be a strong desire to promote from within the hospitals.

Registered Nurse

RN BSN (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsMany facilities under the big umbrella

ConsToo big, pay is poor in the KC area

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay, better patient to nurse ratio to improve patient satisfaction and decrease risk of patient harm.

Inpatient Acute Rehab

ProsGood work environment, seeing patients have quality life, work with different disciplines, PT, OT, SP, NSG

ConsNeed more training to stay efficent

Advice to Senior ManagementAdequate training to coding, nurses and therapist for maximum reimbursment

controlled environment!

MEDICAL BILLING (Former Employee)
    Norcross, GA

ProsA great place to obtain healthcare skills

Conspolicies and procedures. Gossip about other employees

Advice to Senior Managementlearn interpersonal skills

Worked for Hospital Corporation of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hospital Corporation of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hospital Corporation of America CEO R. Milton Johnson. All 275 reviews posted anonymously by Hospital Corporation of America employees.