Hospital Corporation of America

Updated October 21, 2014
3.3

Hospital Corporation of America President and CEO R. Milton Johnson
R. Milton Johnson

Pros
  • Emphasis on ethics, work life balance and continuing education support (in 20 reviews)

• Good benefits package but like all of America, health care coverage is shrinking (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't always feel some decisions made by upper management (in 13 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company to work and retire!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent learning experience and knowledge. Great opportunity to get more skills and unmatched health benefits.

Cons

Really don't know much of negative

Great Company

Current Employee - Registrar in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Registrar in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Advancement Opportunities. Tuition Exemption and great company to work for

Cons

Very Low Pay and not very good benefits

Schedule according to business needs

I love being a nurse!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Denton, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Get to meet people with diverse backrounds.

Cons

Education benefits are lacking, the company is focused on the bottom line and not the staff and patients.

Stand up to corporate when things are not working well.

Company way or the highway

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with.

Cons

Low salary for non clinical staff. If you are not a doctor or nurse there is no way you can afford medical coverage for you & your family. Very pricey health insurance biweekly rate. Annual raise is a joke.

Listen to your employees. Increase salary. Employees will give you a 110% everyday if a company do the same. Stop demanding things from employees that you are not will to give yourself.

not a very organized company

Current Employee - CMA in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - CMA in Lewisville, TX

Pros

The hour were good. and the team I worked with were amazing

Cons

Horriable turn over rate
    Poor upper management. They claim you are family but when push comes to shove you are another number to them. Not at all what I expected the the company to be.Unstable!

The culture they so pride themselves on lacks a personal touch. I have never seen nor heard any positive feedback. They really need some fresh blood and a new perspective in leadership roles. It would do this company well to re think the people in charge.

Underpaid

Current Employee - Staff RN in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexibility of prn staffing creates work\life balance, I stay because my boss is cognizant of this and we work together to make sure its a relationship that benefits both of us

Cons

physical space is terrible for labor

start thinking of the physicality of the job when building the space and how the two effect and affect productivity and retention

Corporation is physician centric and disregards nursing and nursing care.

Current Employee - RN Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - RN Staff in Dallas, TX

Pros

The physician specialists for children are available in one location. The facilities are excellent.

Cons

Nursing knowledge/education and experience is not rewarded with career advancement or participation in hospital change. No career ladder. Poor communication and superficial interaction between upper management and staff nurses. A physician centric culture. Change is very slow and resisted, regardless of current standards of care. Nurses who are task oriented are successful, educated nurses are quick to leave and take their care elsewhere.

Require upper management to attend nurse council meetings to breakdown the barriers to patient care and patient/staff satisfaction. Update all staff to have email equivalent to upper management to facilitate communication. Challenge how incidents and near misses are recorded.

Very educational, learned so much more about all aspects of hospital environment.

Former Employee - Physician Sales in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Physician Sales in McKinney, TX

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was working with a facility that provided quality healthcare and leading edge technology.
    I was able to work with some incredible physicians and able to help them learn the market and grow their practice.

Cons

No real downsides just took awhile at our local hospital to get equipment and new technology. There was a long process and tight budget due to current economic environment.

The leadership was fantastic and supportive of our sales positions and what we were trying to accomplish. I love the upper management and had no issues.

Employee for 9 yrs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

Pros

If you can get into the group of acceptable voices you might make a difference

Cons

The voices that counter the flow of what is easy and visible out-shout those that try to bring light to what might be meaningful and valuable. Squeeky wheels only get greased if they are in line with current thinkspeak.

HIRE EXPERIENCED people-and set your salaries accordingly so that they are attracted to work there.

Good company. Conservative. Poor strategy at times.

Former Employee - Physician Practice in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Physician Practice in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast moving company , always on the move

Cons

Staffing issues on the physician practice side are very strict. Employees working for 3-4 years getting none or partial insignificant raises. Conservative company. They have directors and senior management who seem to be very disconnected with the operations in the ground and in clinics.

Listen to your staff .