Hospital Corporation of America

Updated February 9, 2015
3.7

Hospital Corporation of America President and CEO R. Milton Johnson
R. Milton Johnson

Pros
  • Emphasis on ethics, work life balance and continuing education support (in 20 reviews)

• Good benefits package but like all of America, health care coverage is shrinking (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't always feel some decisions made by upper management (in 13 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

79 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

great company to work for with advancement to grow

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

exciting career that is fast paced and fun. I love my job here I have great co workers and a great work life balance

Cons

weekend rotation, a lot of paper work and phone calls, customer service setting. pay is average nationwide.

Very corporate

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of cool technology, agile atmosphere, laid back

Cons

Game of thrones, corporate politics, etc

HCA

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

Culture is wonderful, Pay is competitive.

Cons

Very Large, sometimes a little confusing with growth.

The place to be if you want to grow, learn and be part of a lifesaving community!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

Positive culture, many training opportunities, supportive colleagues and management, many chances to stretch and grow both professionally and personally. Benefits very good and there are many corporate perks. All manner of discounts on things like software, store discounts, and free Frist Museum memberships, to name a few things. Management encourages servant leadership relationships and teamwork. It is a very uplifting environment in which to work. The company not only encourages community outreach for the rank and file, management also works right along side. It's amazing! Management listens to their employees and reacts positively and does their best to address concerns and make appropriate changes. Work-life balance is excellent.

Cons

Communication can be challenging in the corporate environment.

Great experience in large organization

Current Employee - Human Resources in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

Opportunity to increase knowledge base, advancement opportunities if willing to relocate.

Cons

Depending on location, growth within facility may be limited.

Continue to invest in training

Micromanagement creates an extremely stressful work environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are generous. HCA offers many perks to appeal to new employees.

Cons

Being new to the area, I was unfamiliar with the cleaning house that had occurred prior to my being hired. However, during my orientation, I was advised by management of how prior employees had been dismissed by this individual. My experience with HCA was very stressful, related to management's constant need to micromanage.

Encourage new employees. Don't use scare tactics to manage others. Lead by a positive example.

Racist down in deep south

Current Employee - Medical Office Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Medical Office Specialist in Nashville, TN

Pros

Only if you negotiated good contract with them otherwise they'll take shirt off your back. Sorry, couldn't reveal the correct state but close.

Cons

My own experience and others who have first hand knowledge of their decision making, at least ones down south, but no reason to believe it's not rampant in their culture (ie they were sued for millions a while back), profit is bottom line at workers and patients expense. I've seen such a high staff turnover rate in their clinic, they don't support their own ex-employees looking to work in another locations (not talking about myself), its the color of your skin that matters and seems age is a factor too, too old you're out of luck. Clinic atmosphere of fear among staff of being fired and whispering when management is not there of their true thoughts. I have friends of all races and what I saw while working there makes me vomit. Go to HR for discrimination, haha, also don't post any anonymous reviews of them when they request as the truth it's not really anonymous. I will never work for this place, minorities beware and non-minorities you are expendable too if you're on the bottom rung of their hierarchy.

Saying I dislike management is too nice a word, nasty interaction with one of their top management just in conversion with them that just shocked me. Myself I would never use that tone with anyone at work or with patients. As I know they would have never used that tone with one of the other professionals who worked at the clinic. Race, sex, gender, age, marital status discrimination-- I have seen when working for them. I just wish someone could uncover the truth in a legal way of their disgusting façade.

Great company, Great people, Great values

Current Employee - Director in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Director in Nashville, TN

Pros

Exciting time to be in healthcare with a company committed to its core values, including quality healthcare and commitment to patients. Upper management cares about the employees, with significant attention to employee development and leadership. Executive leadership also cares about our communities, by devoting corporate resources to philanthropy and volunteering through the Caring for the Community campaign and the HCA Hope Fund which allow employees to use company time to bring our resources and talents to the community through volunteer work (on company time). This commitment to "giving back" filters through and is reinforced by all levels of the company that I've seen. Great stock plans and health benefits, lots of talented and energized people.

Cons

Some initiatives move more slowly than others; many people don't understand "HCA" as there is no corporate branding.

Excellent hospital, good benefits, continually striving to better our care of patients and be a friendly environment.

Current Employee - Charge Nurse (RN) in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Charge Nurse (RN) in Nashville, TN

Pros

Good patient nurse ratios, company ICARE values- things I believe in and try to promote as a charge nurse. My
    management is willing to listen to concerns. Works hard to accommodate scheduling for all.

Cons

Fellow co workers show poor professionalism at times. Don't always feel some decisions made by upper management
    is in the best interest of patients/ staff.

Be quicker on replacing workers leaving. Takes such a long time to position approved and then someone hired and
    oriented that floor works short way too long.

Great company to work for with some areas to grow in middle management.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always busy - strong talent on every team. Easy to get guidance if you know the right people.

Cons

Some areas of middle management need some stronger leadership - can become over processed with deliverables that do not show value.

Remember to communicate to all levels always.

Hospital Corporation of America Photos