Hospital Corporation of America

Reset
3.3
Hospital Corporation of America President and CEO R. Milton Johnson
R. Milton Johnson

Pros
  • Great work life balance and pay (in 20 reviews)

• Good benefits package but like all of America, health care coverage is shrinking (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is completely inept (in 13 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge (in 6 reviews)

1. Every job has it pros/cons; overall HCA has the most pros for me and I can live with the cons.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

Everyone at this particular facility is genuinely interested in providing quality patient care. There is a great sense of community. They offer the flexibility that I need to balance family and career. I love it here.

Cons

I have found that there is a need for better communication to new staff members. I have been at this facility for over a year and feel that I still do not know the ins and outs of policy and procedure, obtaining education and the steps to further my advancement in the job. There are two many computer software programs to master.

Advice to Management

The orientation should be more organized and thorough. Education that is required to maintain or advance within the company should be more user friendly.

2. Working on becoming a world class organization

Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

HCA has approximately 25 billion in revenue per year and offers opportunities across the nation. Even as a large company, it doesn't feel like other large corporations that I have worked for. People really seem to try to do the right thing and work together for a common goal. Great mentors within the organization.

Cons

Benefits could be better and health insurance less costly. Work from home programs could be expanded upon.

Advice to Management

Look at employee satisfaction in regards to telecommuting and the cost reductions that could be achieved by reducing office space. In the current economy, employees could save lots of money and be more satisfied if they were allowed to telecommute. Dry Cleaning, Gas, Lunches, Bottled Water...it all adds up.

3. Great company

Former Employee - QA Team Lead in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - QA Team Lead in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

The office had a comfortable atmosphere and upper management tried very hard to encourage the "team" feeling. The yearly office holiday parties (Halloween and Christmas), birthday celebrations and bonuses were all part of working there.

Cons

Corporate closed the office in '07 due to the rising cost of operation. I loved working there and would have liked to move up within the company as I continued my education.

Advice to Management

Some advice would be to keep the atmosphere comfortable and enjoyable for the employees. It is very important to feel appreciated and part of the team.

5. A good place to work with potential for greatness.

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

"Above all else, we are commited to the care and improvement of human life." I see this commitment, the opening line from HCA's mission and values statement, lived out by virtually all the employees I come in contact with. In addition, I've been impressed with how fully the people I meet in the company live up to this value: "We trust our colleagues as valuable members of our healthcare team and pledge to treat one another with loyalty, respect and dignity,"

Cons

HCA is a large company, but it is not doing as good a job as it should at providing the infrastructure needed to support its size or of leveraging the economies of scale that should help make it successful. While there are many symptoms of this, perhaps the clearest is the difficulty even those of us within the company have in finding a clear picture of the organization and the way its different parts relate to one another and work together. While there is an intranet, it is next to impossible to find a current listing of all HCA facilities, up-to-date org charts, applicable policies and procedures, effective tools, or other information that enables a large organization to run smoothly and be greater than the sum of its parts.

Advice to Management

Build an organization, tools, and processes that can support, encourage, and harness the enthusiasm of employees that is waiting to be tapped. Make sure employees share in the success of the company and see that success grow for all, or continue to reward "investors" only and see earnings and the bright future of the company wilt.

6. Great exposure to alot of different aspects of healthcare.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

Incredible opportunities are afforded at HCA. There are great resources, so you can learn as much as you want to.

Cons

There is a certain amount of bureaucracy within each job function, which is one of the down sides to working for such a large company.

Advice to Management

Even though HCA is such a great company, the privatization of the company in 2006 was generally in the best interest of management and their compensation, not necessarily the benefit of the entire organization.

7. Great for a temporary position.

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

Managers are amazingly friendly & helpful with providing feedback on important issues.

Cons

Dealing with upset employees gets a bit tiring & having to use so many different applications.

Advice to Management

Get more people working up in Corporate to help process tickets faster. It helps make the Service Desk issues be resolved quicker. Right now it's taking almost 2 days to fix a single issue.

8. HCA - Great Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, good pay, patient focused

Cons

I don't really have any cons to speak of

Advice to Management

N/A

9. HCA is an excellent company to work for.

Current Employee - Technical Analyst I in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst I in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. Hard work is recognized. Benefits are very good.

Cons

A lot of politics going on. Company pays just enough to keep you from quitting.

Advice to Management

Remember where you started.

Excellent

Former Employee - Project Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cares for employees, flexibility, room for advancement, great benefits, great salary, great bonus structure, great relocation package, promote from within

Cons

I enjoyed my tenure with HCA. Only negative thing I can think of is that there does seem to be a serious disparity in salaries between similarly titled positions at corporate and those at other levels, such as division.

11. salary review

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Iola, KS
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Iola, KS

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

excellent co-workers, warm environmnet, caring community

Cons

I have not noticed any current cons for working with HCA

RSS Feed </> Embed