Hospital Corporation of America Reviews

8 reviews filtered by
  • San Antonio, TX
Hospital Corporation of America President and CEO R. Milton Johnson
R. Milton Johnson

1. Stable, traditional, IT environment.

Current Employee - Manager Network Engineering in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager Network Engineering in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very stable company. Above market pay. Tons of business growth.

Cons

"Business First" environment that can be a little overwhelming for IT staff unless you remember that their business is patient care. Very traditional IT roles. Not keeping pace with changes in converged roles.

Begin thinking outside of the box regarding fusion of roles in response to evolving technologies.

2. The people are great.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Experience. You'll stay busy, but it's quite a bit of data entry for someone in an analytical position.

Cons

Not much room for promotions. Low employee morale/recognition.

Communication is key!!!!!

3. IT&S uses 'management by conflict avoidance'

Former Employee - Tech Analyst II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Analyst II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

annual raises
    lots of activities for employees ( company picnics etc)

Cons

management is completely disorganized

some depts have two managers who give conflicting orders

policies are never enforced. all people have to do is complain in an email and management will give in to them.

managers give ambiguous directions so when something goes wrong they can say" you should have have used better judgment"

depts that should be working together don't, and no one is held accountable.

back up your employees , especially when they are following company policy and it upsets people.

dont throw your employees under the bus just to make yourself look better by 'resolving' their complaint.

Terrible benefits

Current Employee - Medical in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Medical in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its a gigantic company that is here to stay

Cons

The benefits are really awful.

Stop making employees use vacation days for holidays

Terrible System To Work For

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits......other than that forget it.

Cons

Nurses were bullies and made several other's lives miserable. They were relentless, moody and petty

Get a handle on this and stop it. It is rampant in other areas of the hospitals as well.

7. RN - Methodist Hospital (HCA) San Antono

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work group, decent benefits.

Cons

Pay is below market for RN's and there is price fixing on salaries in the medical center area of San Antonio.

Rather than give some nurses who are topped out (at $34.11) even a measly 1% raise as they did others making less, they gave me a $500 bonus paid out over an entire year which came out to be about $22 per paycheck.

They are too focused on suppressing nursing and do nothing for employee development. Our upper nursing management and nursing executives are loyal to the business side, not nursing interests.

There is very little appreciation shown to the nursing staff. Over the years during Nurses Week they show appreciation by hosting degrading contests....crazy sock day, salsa contest day etc, then have the audacity to ask nurses during the same time to host a massive food drive for the San Antonio Food Bank, further demonstrating their expectations that nurses remain subservient to their own needs and showing the rest of the work force the same. This has been going on yearly since I started there 6 years ago.

It's difficult to leave because the hospitals "talk" about nurses salaries. There is no incentive to leave and take another job elsewhere for higher pay because it doesn't exist. There have been several lawsuits in years past regarding "price fixing salaries".

They don't follow the law. The state of Texas passed a law in 2011 that hospitals have a staffing committee comprised of staff nurses. To this day, Methodist Hospital does not have a committee as mandated by law.

Although, I am not a union advocate, I think that this is the only way nursing at this HCA facility is going to progress forward. This facility is problem oriented and works on a day to day basis fixing the problems at hand. It is definitely not a visionary institution. I wouldn't recommend this facility as an employer for nursing. They are behind the times and nickel and dime every decision to their detriment. The facility is dirty, dingy, mold infested and out of date. Like I said earlier, if it's not broken why fix it...that's the mentality with this management. We need a union to promote the interests of nursing and therefore will promote the interest of patients.

Just read the pros and cons above.

Seriously you want me to do what??????

Former Employee - Remote Coder Part-time PRN in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Remote Coder Part-time PRN in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They train you on who the managment is, but no training related to actually doing your job.

Cons

Where should I begin........Understand I was PRN and I had no problem with that... was promised 40+ hours a week.. if we couldn't get it local, could get it national. On a Thursday afternoon told I wasn't needed until further notice, but just days prior was yelled at for not hitting 8+ hours on one day (remember I was PRN)..... got a certified letter a month later asking me to RESIGN because I had not worked 40 hours in the month.... YOU DIDNT GIVE ME ANY WORK!!!!!!!!! Screw resigning.. you need to LAY ME OFF!!!

Got a lot of marbles loose up there.. Lots of lies being told to prespective and current employees.

9. Welcoming and innovative

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Make a difference in peers and clients everyday life. Competitive pay and great benefits with longetivity.

Cons

Bedside RN staff is lacking..

More visible to bedside staff.

Hospital Corporation of America Photos