Hospital Corporation of America

Updated March 25, 2014
3.4

Hospital Corporation of America President and CEO R. Milton Johnson
R. Milton Johnson

Pros
  • Office culture is great, very laid back, and the work life balance is nice (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits, free uniforms, nice coworkers (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management constantly micromanage and inconsistent with policies and procedures (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Welcoming and innovative

Current Employee - Director  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Make a difference in peers and clients everyday life. Competitive pay and great benefits with longetivity.

Cons

Bedside RN staff is lacking..

More visible to bedside staff.

Terrible benefits

Current Employee - Medical  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Medical in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a gigantic company that is here to stay

Cons

The benefits are really awful.

Stop making employees use vacation days for holidays

Terrible System To Work For

Current Employee - Staff Nurse  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Benefits......other than that forget it.

Cons

Nurses were bullies and made several other's lives miserable. They were relentless, moody and petty

Get a handle on this and stop it. It is rampant in other areas of the hospitals as well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RN - Methodist Hospital (HCA) San Antono

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work group, decent benefits.

Cons

Pay is below market for RN's and there is price fixing on salaries in the medical center area of San Antonio.

Rather than give some nurses who are topped out (at $34.11) even a measly 1% raise as they did others making less, they gave me a $500 bonus paid out over an entire year which came out to be about $22 per paycheck.

They are too focused on suppressing nursing and do nothing for employee development. Our upper nursing management and nursing executives are loyal to the business side, not nursing interests.

There is very little appreciation shown to the nursing staff. Over the years during Nurses Week they show appreciation by hosting degrading contests....crazy sock day, salsa contest day etc, then have the audacity to ask nurses during the same time to host a massive food drive for the San Antonio Food Bank, further demonstrating their expectations that nurses remain subservient to their own needs and showing the rest of the work force the same. This has been going on yearly since I started there 6 years ago.

It's difficult to leave because the hospitals "talk" about nurses salaries. There is no incentive to leave and take another job elsewhere for higher pay because it doesn't exist. There have been several lawsuits in years past regarding "price fixing salaries".

They don't follow the law. The state of Texas passed a law in 2011 that hospitals have a staffing committee comprised of staff nurses. To this day, Methodist Hospital does not have a committee as mandated by law.

Although, I am not a union advocate, I think that this is the only way nursing at this HCA facility is going to progress forward. This facility is problem oriented and works on a day to day basis fixing the problems at hand. It is definitely not a visionary institution. I wouldn't recommend this facility as an employer for nursing. They are behind the times and nickel and dime every decision to their detriment. The facility is dirty, dingy, mold infested and out of date. Like I said earlier, if it's not broken why fix it...that's the mentality with this management. We need a union to promote the interests of nursing and therefore will promote the interest of patients.

Just read the pros and cons above.

Seriously you want me to do what??????

Former Employee - Remote Coder Part-time PRN  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Remote Coder Part-time PRN in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hospital Corporation of America part-time for less than a year

Pros

They train you on who the managment is, but no training related to actually doing your job.

Cons

Where should I begin........Understand I was PRN and I had no problem with that... was promised 40+ hours a week.. if we couldn't get it local, could get it national. On a Thursday afternoon told I wasn't needed until further notice, but just days prior was yelled at for not hitting 8+ hours on one day (remember I was PRN)..... got a certified letter a month later asking me to RESIGN because I had not worked 40 hours in the month.... YOU DIDNT GIVE ME ANY WORK!!!!!!!!! Screw resigning.. you need to LAY ME OFF!!!

Got a lot of marbles loose up there.. Lots of lies being told to prespective and current employees.

Worked for Hospital Corporation of America? Contribute to the Community!