Hospital Housekeeping Systems

Hospital Housekeeping Systems Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014

Joe Terry

A company that values family

I have been working at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for growth opportunity then this the company for you. HHS has provided me with the tools and resources to succeed. A privately owned business that is committed to their employees. My salary doubled in 3 years!

Cons

Working in healthcare can be challenging. The environment is urgent! You have to be able to adapt on the fly and be creative with your staff!

Continue to mentor your current director who are your future VP's and Presidents. There are a lot of high end youthful directors who will continue to carry the quality and reputation of the company if you invest time in them

Former Director of Evs. For almost 5 years

Former Employee - Director of Environmental Services
    Former Employee - Director of Environmental Services

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team work amongst fellow Directors within the region. Many of the corporate personnel very open and honest with us who were in the field.

Cons

Good old boy company. It is really who you know or who you family is with this company. The company has double standards has it pertains to company policies. It's ok for certain people in the field to do one thi g wrong, but if someone that is not connected with the family in some sort of way does the same thing it's not ok.

Treat everyone the same way. Ensure the rules apply to everyone and not just those who aren't part of the clik.

Oct 14, 2014Director of Communications

Thank you for your feedback. Our culture and values are of utmost importance to us. If a team member is not upholding these values, it is critical to bring this to our attention, via our Team Member ... More

The work and methods of this hospital housekeeping company are somewhat the same as most hospitals housekeeping departments across the nation.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems

Pros

Working with and around medical and support members of hospitals are always great and most are very happy, friendly, professional, and respectable. It feels great to feel like one is making a difference by ensuring quality infection control as well as a safe and pleasant atmosphere (clean and orderly). Coworkers and a few directors/assistant directors are pleasant, knowledgable, kind, and create an atmosphere of energy and make everyone feel appreciated and excited to get to work.

Cons

No incentives for going above and beyond, nor shift/weekend differentials in pay. Almost no benefits, terrible health insurance plan that is costly, only one week vacation/year, low end pay unless a director, assistant director, accountant - the housekeepers and floor care people get paid about what most fast food workers get paid in this region/community. Some assistant directors & directors talk down to subordinates, raise their voices at subordinates, publicly humiliate subordinates, and some subordinates are seen crying after being around the terrible behaving managers breaking their spirits. It's heartbreaking to watch.

Don't hire mean, cruel, people, especially those who are not able to actually like people, are not flexible, and who go out to local restaurants and talk bad about their subordinates within hearing range of others - nurses, doctors, and other hospital employees also go to these restaurants and overhear these conversations and it makes them uncomfortable and rumors fly and feelings get hurt.

Oct 4, 2014Owner

This review is by an hourly employee, with compensation & benefits limited by competitive considerations. It is our objective, however, to treat hourly personnel with caring, respect, & thankfulness ... More

Gained experience, worked with a talented team

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Austin, TX

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in my department at the corporate office for two years. I came to HHS right out of college with a degree in my field yet no experience. The amount of hands on experience I gained in those two years was invaluable, I really couldn't believe how much I learned in such a short amount of time. Our team was young but we all worked extremely well and had that "fire in our belly" excitement to do the best job possible. I was able to network and build relationships which have led me to my new position with our sister technology company.

Cons

There was a time before our current CEO in which the culture wasn't that great. Leadership recognized this and our owners removed the problem and we now thrive under new leadership.

Keep developing the younger and excited individuals. I spoke up and expressed my wish for more responsibility which I was given. This built my respect and loyalty to the company.

great place to work

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love working with people helping and loved it all

Cons

great benefits great bosses an company

Horrible.

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No pros. Very horrible company to work for.

Cons

Definitely an all boy company.Just look at linked in, 99.9% constitutes all male employees. Depends on who you know. Inexperienced "pseudo-directors" . How can a 28 year old be a VP??? No accountability, Director does not have people skills, always undermining he's juniors opinions instead of embracing team work.

HHS is a small company and if you want to grow you must embrace inequality, I'm a man but I do notice there is a need to employ more females, also get rid of nepotism and the "who you know mentality". Otherwise your competitors will swoop in and take over all your accounts. You will be left with nursing homes thats where a 28 year old VP can work comfortably. No stars from me.

Poor Work-Life Balance and Intense Non-Employee Oriented Culture

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great colleagues both in corporate and in field operations

Cons

poor work-life balance, nepotism is rampant, confidentiality with your personal information is hit or miss, compensation not commensurate with responsibility load, no official hr department

If you value work-life balance and an employee oriented culture, then this is not the place for you. Expectations here are far outside of what is considered reasonable. The environment and demanding requirements can take its toll on your overall well-being not to mention that there is very little satisfaction in the amount of work one has to output to achieve daily processes much less any long term initiatives.

Ownership and Executive Leadership handle constructive criticism poorly and usually end up removing those who speak out. They expect you to get the impossible done by yesterday and are very pressing about what they want regardless of what valid obstacles stand in the way up to and including statutory compliance.

They have no respect for industry standard nor for an experienced professional's guidance and opinion, unless it lines up with their ideologies which are outdated and not relevant to today's workforce.

An example of their ideologies would be the fact that the founder does not believe in HR, has spoken vehemently against it and in the past has prohibited those in his employ from referring to any part of the organization as HR or even HR adjacent.

At their core, they believe that they are so different than any other organization, alike or different, that they are in a class of their own and couldn't possibly benefit from outside opinion. Pay no attention here that there are at least 20 other companies this size and larger who offer exactly the same lines of service.

The decision makers of this company are lacking real professional experience in the areas for which they oversee and their decision-making is indicative of that deficiency. This is mostly due to the the fact that the majority of these leaders are appointed through nepotism since it is a family / friend of the family-run establishment.

Most of them have never worked in their position outside of this company and were mentored by other leaders who also did not have any previous experience in their area of oversight.

This leads to an environment of "we've always done it this way" because that is all we knew how to do basically. But when you try to improve or change any processes, in place by those individuals, you get push back that somehow you have no idea what you are talking about even if you worked in the outside world in relative positions for years. Again, no respect for truly experienced professionals.

With that said, the environment is intense and both physically and emotionally draining. If you want to work for an organization that has a great culture and values your experience with offerings available for you to elevate that knowledge through being mentored by a knowledgeable professional, then take a pass on this company and keep looking.

Oct 4, 2014Owner

We encourage constructive criticism, make changes when we agree with it, & certainly don't practice removing those who speak out. We do not have a traditional HR department because we believe that ... More

It is who you know

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hospital Housekeeping Systems (more than an year)

Pros

It is good to work for a private company. For the most part, they care about thier employees and show they are committed to work life balance.

Cons

Promotions are an issue. If you don't know someone (i.e. a president with the intials BW) then you probabably will not make it past Director. But, it is what it is and you have to look past that at times.

Open up promotions to everyone qualified on a job board. Let everyone qualified interview and then pick the best one. It seemed to me that if you knew someone in a high place that person would promote you.

Sep 5, 2014Director of Communications

We're so pleased that you enjoy working for HHS. Thanks for the suggestions about the job board--currently, we post available positions using ICIMS. A link for postings can be found on the HHS home ... More

Constantly undermined by the director, lack if communication. No voice

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Environmental Services
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Environmental Services

I have been working at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training program on floor care, salesforce is a great tool and Bedwatch as well. Nothing else about the company impresses me!!

Cons

Good old boy company, no proper communication, director has lack of knowledge yet too arrogant to accept it. If you know someone and are a man your chances of growth are extremely high.

Give everyone a level playing field. Too much favoritism going on.

Oct 1, 2014Director of Communications

We are troubled that you're having this experience and would like more information so that we can take any appropriate actions necessary. We encourage you to use our Open Door policy to contact your ... More

Fast growing company with management issues

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promotions happen quickly as turnover happens (often), as others have mentioned it could be a great company with better management. Company is growing extremely fast, lots of potential if some changes were made.

Cons

Weak leadership. Lots of executives in place with little to no experience. Nepotism is abundant. Salaries can be below average. Benefits are lacking. Extremely high turnover - should be a sign!

Get rid of the "good old boy" culture - company does have some potential. Take a hard look at some of the policies and procedures that are in place, and update or remove the unnecessary ones!

Sep 5, 2014Director of Communications

Yes, we have experienced intense growth over the past few years, and as a result, we have had turnover. Our attention has been turned to these areas and in turn we have embarked on new initiatives to ... More