Hospital Housekeeping Systems

Joe Terry

Beneficial Experience

Former Employee - Director of Environmental Services in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Environmental Services in Austin, TX

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to gain operations management experience. The salary was great. When you're young and single relocating every 1-2 years is fun. I made great friendships while I was with HHS.

Cons

The experience is what you make it. If you go in and work hard, put in the hours, develop your team to run efficiently and effectively you will reap the rewards down the road. The major downside for me was lack of direction in career. I am an executive focused professional and saw no real opportunity to be an executive with the organization due to my lack of connections internally. In no way is this a dig at the company, but it is what it is.

Identify high potentials early in the game and let them know you see their value. It's easy to get discouraged if no one ever recognizes you. Develop an executive training academy in which DPs can get acquainted with the top talent of each group. Cross-pollination between groups can be a good thing. Call former Directors that voluntarily terminated and were in good standing with the organization to gain candid feedback on the pro's and con's of the organization during their tenure.

Awful!

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems

Pros

The only good thing about working for HHS was meeting new people. Most my co-workers and patients were great!

Cons

Our kitchen staff was unappreciated an treated unfairly. Our director thought of no body but himself. HHS is by far the worst company I've ever worked for. Low pay and long hours. We always got shorted on checks. Not enough staff. Went the countless employees. Just awful...

Care more about your employees. Without us u wouldn't have a company. Increase pay!

Nov 12, 2014Director of Communications

We always want to immediately address any team member dissatisfaction or inappropriate actions taken by management or other staff members. We welcome your honest feedback and if you'd like to email ... More

Former Director of Evs. For almost 5 years

Former Employee - Director of Environmental Services
    Former Employee - Director of Environmental Services

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team work amongst fellow Directors within the region. Many of the corporate personnel very open and honest with us who were in the field.

Cons

Good old boy company. It is really who you know or who you family is with this company. The company has double standards has it pertains to company policies. It's ok for certain people in the field to do one thi g wrong, but if someone that is not connected with the family in some sort of way does the same thing it's not ok.

Treat everyone the same way. Ensure the rules apply to everyone and not just those who aren't part of the clik.

Oct 14, 2014Director of Communications

Thank you for your feedback. Our culture and values are of utmost importance to us. If a team member is not upholding these values, it is critical to bring this to our attention, via our Team Member ... More

A company that values family

I have been working at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for growth opportunity then this the company for you. HHS has provided me with the tools and resources to succeed. A privately owned business that is committed to their employees. My salary doubled in 3 years!

Cons

Working in healthcare can be challenging. The environment is urgent! You have to be able to adapt on the fly and be creative with your staff!

Continue to mentor your current director who are your future VP's and Presidents. There are a lot of high end youthful directors who will continue to carry the quality and reputation of the company if you invest time in them

A company that values their own family and personal "clicks".

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with the frontline hospital staff, and Administraton Team. At each hospital/account I workes for I recieved a personal letter of recommendation. That felt good, but not to feel acknowledged for the long hours and the ability to " win " people over.....was not a good feeling.

Cons

Where to begin.....

Long Hours (no overtime for salary managers)
    Policies being bent to accomodate. [J.To. needs to get out there and see what some of these Directors/A.D.'s are doing]
    Policies2- OVP should read the policies before saying something that gets them in hot water. (company moves, why was ok to discuss a managers personal situation, avnd that manager being told in a group setting, not following the open door policy-answer calls for team members..thats why your number is posted.
    Low Pay for frontline staff, a selected few will recieve an increase below the radar.
    OVP's that can not answer questions they should know on the spot in regards to policy.
    OVP's handing off their work off on their Directors. (ACR, Ops Pack, gauging COO feelings prior to a visit because they don't have the relationship skills to win them over)
    OVP's using town hall meetings, or secret meetings with a selected few team members.
    Vacation Time was almost never taken because of one reason or another. (I should say I did not use my vacation time year over year, my fault for putting the company first.)
    There isn't any training hours budgetted for new team members.

There is too much to list, the more I add the more unsettled I get.

Stay away!!

There are a selected few individuals that frequent accounts more to gain a better insight as to what happens to a Assistant Director/Director when they leave training.

Please stop mentioning there is a salary cap per account when there isn't any, the situation just looks really unsettling for the OVP/EVP, especially when you know they are lying.

There is more on the job injuries than is reported.

Several managers/Directors/Assistant Directors are now working for the competitor...Sudexo.....why?

The company is reporting that it is growing, when in fact shrinking...(to the individual reading this, I believe you know what im speaking about...so there isn't a need on your end to supply me with a @hhs1.com of someone that will just push this under the rug and hope it gets resolves.

Reader stay away from this company, your end up having a heart attack trying to meet you senior managements expectations.

The work and methods of this hospital housekeeping company are somewhat the same as most hospitals housekeeping departments across the nation.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems

Pros

Working with and around medical and support members of hospitals are always great and most are very happy, friendly, professional, and respectable. It feels great to feel like one is making a difference by ensuring quality infection control as well as a safe and pleasant atmosphere (clean and orderly). Coworkers and a few directors/assistant directors are pleasant, knowledgable, kind, and create an atmosphere of energy and make everyone feel appreciated and excited to get to work.

Cons

No incentives for going above and beyond, nor shift/weekend differentials in pay. Almost no benefits, terrible health insurance plan that is costly, only one week vacation/year, low end pay unless a director, assistant director, accountant - the housekeepers and floor care people get paid about what most fast food workers get paid in this region/community. Some assistant directors & directors talk down to subordinates, raise their voices at subordinates, publicly humiliate subordinates, and some subordinates are seen crying after being around the terrible behaving managers breaking their spirits. It's heartbreaking to watch.

Don't hire mean, cruel, people, especially those who are not able to actually like people, are not flexible, and who go out to local restaurants and talk bad about their subordinates within hearing range of others - nurses, doctors, and other hospital employees also go to these restaurants and overhear these conversations and it makes them uncomfortable and rumors fly and feelings get hurt.

Oct 4, 2014Owner

This review is by an hourly employee, with compensation & benefits limited by competitive considerations. It is our objective, however, to treat hourly personnel with caring, respect, & thankfulness ... More

Gained experience, worked with a talented team

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Austin, TX

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in my department at the corporate office for two years. I came to HHS right out of college with a degree in my field yet no experience. The amount of hands on experience I gained in those two years was invaluable, I really couldn't believe how much I learned in such a short amount of time. Our team was young but we all worked extremely well and had that "fire in our belly" excitement to do the best job possible. I was able to network and build relationships which have led me to my new position with our sister technology company.

Cons

There was a time before our current CEO in which the culture wasn't that great. Leadership recognized this and our owners removed the problem and we now thrive under new leadership.

Keep developing the younger and excited individuals. I spoke up and expressed my wish for more responsibility which I was given. This built my respect and loyalty to the company.

Horrible.

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No pros. Very horrible company to work for.

Cons

Definitely an all boy company.Just look at linked in, 99.9% constitutes all male employees. Depends on who you know. Inexperienced "pseudo-directors" . How can a 28 year old be a VP??? No accountability, Director does not have people skills, always undermining he's juniors opinions instead of embracing team work.

HHS is a small company and if you want to grow you must embrace inequality, I'm a man but I do notice there is a need to employ more females, also get rid of nepotism and the "who you know mentality". Otherwise your competitors will swoop in and take over all your accounts. You will be left with nursing homes thats where a 28 year old VP can work comfortably. No stars from me.

Oct 27, 2014Owner

We recognize the need for talented female management & hope to take advantage of this under-utilized segment of our own personnel & the outside market.

We are very happy with the results
    ... More

Poor Work-Life Balance and Intense Non-Employee Oriented Culture

I worked at Hospital Housekeeping Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great colleagues both in corporate and in field operations

Cons

poor work-life balance, nepotism is rampant, confidentiality with your personal information is hit or miss, compensation not commensurate with responsibility load, no official hr department

If you value work-life balance and an employee oriented culture, then this is not the place for you. Expectations here are far outside of what is considered reasonable. The environment and demanding requirements can take its toll on your overall well-being not to mention that there is very little satisfaction in the amount of work one has to output to achieve daily processes much less any long term initiatives.

Ownership and Executive Leadership handle constructive criticism poorly and usually end up removing those who speak out. They expect you to get the impossible done by yesterday and are very pressing about what they want regardless of what valid obstacles stand in the way up to and including statutory compliance.

They have no respect for industry standard nor for an experienced professional's guidance and opinion, unless it lines up with their ideologies which are outdated and not relevant to today's workforce.

An example of their ideologies would be the fact that the founder does not believe in HR, has spoken vehemently against it and in the past has prohibited those in his employ from referring to any part of the organization as HR or even HR adjacent.

At their core, they believe that they are so different than any other organization, alike or different, that they are in a class of their own and couldn't possibly benefit from outside opinion. Pay no attention here that there are at least 20 other companies this size and larger who offer exactly the same lines of service.

The decision makers of this company are lacking real professional experience in the areas for which they oversee and their decision-making is indicative of that deficiency. This is mostly due to the the fact that the majority of these leaders are appointed through nepotism since it is a family / friend of the family-run establishment.

Most of them have never worked in their position outside of this company and were mentored by other leaders who also did not have any previous experience in their area of oversight.

This leads to an environment of "we've always done it this way" because that is all we knew how to do basically. But when you try to improve or change any processes, in place by those individuals, you get push back that somehow you have no idea what you are talking about even if you worked in the outside world in relative positions for years. Again, no respect for truly experienced professionals.

With that said, the environment is intense and both physically and emotionally draining. If you want to work for an organization that has a great culture and values your experience with offerings available for you to elevate that knowledge through being mentored by a knowledgeable professional, then take a pass on this company and keep looking.

Oct 4, 2014Owner

We encourage constructive criticism, make changes when we agree with it, & certainly don't practice removing those who speak out. We do not have a traditional HR department because we believe that ... More

It is who you know

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hospital Housekeeping Systems (more than an year)

Pros

It is good to work for a private company. For the most part, they care about thier employees and show they are committed to work life balance.

Cons

Promotions are an issue. If you don't know someone (i.e. a president with the intials BW) then you probabably will not make it past Director. But, it is what it is and you have to look past that at times.

Open up promotions to everyone qualified on a job board. Let everyone qualified interview and then pick the best one. It seemed to me that if you knew someone in a high place that person would promote you.

Sep 5, 2014Director of Communications

We're so pleased that you enjoy working for HHS. Thanks for the suggestions about the job board--currently, we post available positions using ICIMS. A link for postings can be found on the HHS home ... More