Hospital Shared Services

Updated July 31, 2014
Updated July 31, 2014
2.6

George R Schiel

Decent-enough company. Not the best, not the worst.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hospital Shared Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you manage to find a security position that isn't involved with the emergency department of a hospital, it's actually okay.

Cons

The emergency room. For $12/hr, this job is a nightmare. Most patients are not terrible, but the terrible ones really make you consider why you took this job. Also, a lot of the guards have god complexes like they are police officers. Steer clear of those employees.

Good pay, uncaring upper management.

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Romulus, MI
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Romulus, MI

I worked at Hospital Shared Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was good. Advancement was great. I went from Security Officer to Shift Manager in a little over two years.

Cons

Upper management (Corporate) are extremely shady. Many of them prefer finding problems to make themselves look good rather than finding problems to fix them. Teamwork? No.

Instead of saying you're for the employees....BE for the employees.

behavioral security tech

Former Employee - Behavioral Security Techninian in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Behavioral Security Techninian in Denver, CO

I worked at Hospital Shared Services full-time

Pros

flexible hours
    meet interestng people
    nice staff in house
    treated with respect internally

Cons

no room for growth
    little respect from anyone in field
    12 hour shifts

Told one thing givin another

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Hospital Shared Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for unarmed security
    Company always promotes from within
    Plenty of overtime available

Cons

poor benefits
    no raises
    high turnover rate
    no formal training
    management in Denver has no clue about the status of sites outside of Colorado
    Formal policy is not explained to clients, you are constantly being asked to perform duties far beyond your level of training.

Bring proper business offices and management to the other states which you have major contracts.
    Follow through on promises to all employees, your rank and file officers are the face of your company.

Hospital Security Officers - Knights in Shining Polyester

Current Employee - Security Shift Supervisor (Sergeant) in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Security Shift Supervisor (Sergeant) in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hospital Shared Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- The job of protecting medical staff, patients, and visitors is an honorable one.
    - Highest starting pay for entry-level Security work (around $12/hr).
    - Meet lots of interesting and educated people at the work site.
    - Despite the job's inherent risk of injury, the work itself is usually very easy.
    - PRIDE reward system gives small monetary bonuses for employees who are recognized for exemplary work.
    - Lots of preparatory training for future Supervisors and Site Leaders (AKA: Sergeants & Lieutenants). The company's industry knowledge is very obviously extensive.
    - Company provides decent outerwear for cold temperatures (a big bonus in Denver).
    - Company sends out a basic annual fiscal report to all employees each year.

Cons

- Rigid, unyielding demerit-based attendance policy, possibly written by Stalin himself.
    - Very few advancement opportunities - A typical facility has 20-40 officers, and 1-3 supervisors.
    - Often a thankless job, your extra efforts typically go unnoticed by clients & coworkers.
    - Recruiting department passes over good hire candidates to exceed affirmative action requirements. If you're an African native, HSS will hire you with no questions asked.
    - For a job where hand-to-hand combat is a strong possibility, HSS provides very little training material. One hour of training each year, to be exact, and many of their techniques are of questionable efficacy. In 5+ years with the company, I have seen 16 of my fellow officers TKO'd by hostile patients/visitors.
    - No raises for officers in the last 3 years -- The company must individually negotiate annual raises with each hospital's administration team, and often makes zero effort to do so.
    - Every year, Catastrophic Leave requirements are tightened further. If your sister dies right now, you will not be granted time off to even attend the funeral. This is not embellished, it is written in the employee handbook.
    - Years of good employee evaluations, PRIDE rewards, and support from your supervisor are all thrown away when 1 secret shopper doesn't like how your uniform shirt fits. The secret shoppers employed by HSS seem to feel they haven't done their job until they've written something negative about you. A secret shopper once gave one of my fellow officers a score of 25% because the officer identified them as a secret shopper. In other words, the officer's valuable perceptiveness was thoroughly punished because one incompetent Shopper couldn't maintain her simple ruse.

1. Secret shoppers are capable of half-assing their jobs too. Take their reports with a grain of salt. Asking if there is anything else I can do for someone is a frivolous gesture when their stated concerns have all been satisfied. Only secret shoppers look for this; it would annoy any 'real' guest to the facility. Any officer with half of a working brain can tell when there is something else to be resolved with a guest. The ones without working brains can get flushed out by employee evaluations, drug screens, and 'real' complaints (or just a better hiring process).

2. I know the economic climate is restrictive, but you're not saving any money with these cheap uniforms. They wear out in a matter of weeks/months and have to be replaced en masse. In the interim you have a ton of officers walking around out there in threadbare, worn-out uniforms. Go back to the blue pants and jackets from before 2008 so that we don't look like ambulance drivers -- This causes undue confusion at a surprising frequency, not to mention that it would be nice to have our appearances taken seriously again. We look a bunch of Paul Blarts.

3. What happened to the Security RAP? That was the most meaningful literature HSS has ever routinely sent to its employees. I imagine cost-cutting is the culprit once again.

Beware of oddball clients, and unsupportive administration...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Placerville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Placerville, CA

I worked at Hospital Shared Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good training. Good opportunity to network during yearly trips to company headquarters in Denver, Colorado. Requires IAHSS certification.

Cons

Typical contract security. Do not kid yourself and believe that you are valued as an employee, no matter what your assistant director tells you. You are a warm body to fill in a schedule slot...nothing more. The clients (hospitals) are flighty, myopic, and often just plain ignorant. You will ALWAYS be subject to the client's whims. Often, the only experience with private security that these administrative shut-ins will have will be what they see on television. They have absolutely no concept of the scope and authority of security guards. Many believe security guards are equivalent to law enforcement officers. Others believe security guards are nothing more than Wal-Mart greeters.

Insofar as treatment from the clients is concerned, you will be treated like ambulatory furniture, at best, and subservient servants at worst. There is a tremendous amount of back-stabbing and 'cliques'. Due to the 'small town atmosphere' of the place, expect a lot of 'small town' politics and psychological in-breeding. That is, everyone knows everyone else and when poor employees are dealt with according to policy, expect the gossip wires to be crackling with information. On more than one occasion, I was interrogated by various hospital staff after issuing justifiable discipline to, or terminating one of my employees. I have personally seen employees terminated because the client did not warm up to them, even though they were excellent employees.

The administration is marginally supportive, as long as the client is positive towards you. If ever the client decides you are 'not a good fit', you will be discarded regardless of quality/quantity of work. Though, to be fair, this is often the atmosphere on job sites in the contract security industry. Always remember, HR is not there for you. HR is there to protect the company...ALWAYS.

There is nothing I can add. The management is concerned only about the revenue stream. Individuals making suggestions, or constructive criticisms are largely ignored, or discharged.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - DIA Security Agent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - DIA Security Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hospital Shared Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has a great benefit package for its employees, low turnover rate, does not borrow money to generate its profit and generates over hundred millions a year in profit.

Cons

90 days probation time before you can enjoy your employee benefit package.

Its good for a pay check not much more!

Current Employee - Security Officer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hospital Shared Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly hospital staff and ever changing work environment.

Cons

Flex officers get no respect from HSS management. The people in scheduling could careless about you and will call at all hours of the night asking for you to come in with no notice. You will also be expected to search soiled and bug infested people and often time with not be offered any kind of ppe.

Start treating your flex officers better and hire some new people in scheduling, politeness and understanding go a long way when your asking an employee to come in with no notice at 2am.

It is a paycheck and that is about it.

I have been working at Hospital Shared Services

Pros

Steady work and a steady paycheck when employed at a facility. (not float) The pay is comparable to other security jobs at about $12 an hour. Benefits and vacation time are available for full-time employees.

Cons

The benefits are cut down every year but they charge you the same. No recognition for good work. Mandatory overtime if your relief doesn't show up, no exceptions. Vacation is hard to use. I requested a week of vacation six months in advance and was denied. Management is chosen by the "good ol boy" philosophy, not by who deserves it. They will fire you in a heartbeat for anything they want.

Treat your employees like they are as important as we know that we are to you. You do not exist without the hard work of people like me so give us a break sometimes or just send out an email that says thank you for your hard work and we recognize your efforts.

Beware the contract security officer.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

I have been working at Hospital Shared Services

Pros

They do pay you bi-weekly and will pay for ASIS certifications. Also they trust you to be rather autonomous.

Cons

No clear definition of what to do in multiple situations. Never sure if patients are actually on a lawful hold or not. No paid time off in the first year. Pay is rather low considering the environment that you work in and the health risks at hand. Communication is terrible for a company that is upholding the observe and report philosophy, you are more likely to observe on your own that get any info from the previous shift. Training is silly too, you receive the same training that the hospital staff receives, and are then called on by the hospital staff to handle things they are unwilling to deal with.

Communicate with your employees, all of them!