Hospital for Special Surgery

Updated November 13, 2014
3.6

Hospital for Special Surgery President and CEO Lou Shapiro
Lou Shapiro

Best orthopedic central sterile department that I ever worked.

Former Employee - Instrument Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Instrument Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Hospital for Special Surgery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their staff are knowledgeable in everything they do, patience in showing you and welcoming new staff. They help you progress in the department with guidance from director and manager.

Cons

Hard work, transportation is difficult and it is difficult when you work nights

The department cannot be run from the office only.

HSS

Current Employee - MRI in New York, NY
    Current Employee - MRI in New York, NY

I have been working at Hospital for Special Surgery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great hospital, professionals at ortho, clean and high end compensation.

Cons

Some workers easily slip through the cracks.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Practice Administrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Practice Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at Hospital for Special Surgery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For me, one of the best things about working at this Hospital was the tuition reimbursement program. My first year of graduate school was reimbursed 100%. There are limits as to how much will be reimbursed so it does depend on the cost of the program, but this was a huge perk for me. The medical benefits are also top notch. Salaries are competitive. The work environment was great, it's a Hospital without an ER and patients mainly come in for elective surgeries. Met some wonderful people at this Hospital, everyone that I've had to deal with seemed very happy with their jobs and created a very positive environment for me. This Hospital is home to many of the New York sports teams, will not state any names but was always exciting to spot a professional athlete walking down the hall! GREAT WORK/LIFE BALANCE!

Cons

I can't think of anything other than the fact that it's a Hospital that caters to the rich.

When I left, the conversion to electronic medical records was very unorganized. I hope this has improved but the medical record system is very out-dated, some physician offices were using electronic medical records where others were still using paper medical records. I think the Hospital needs to be on the same page, using the same system, so things are more organized.

Amazing Workplace

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Hospital for Special Surgery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This workplace has such an amazing atmosphere - I love it! Everyone in the hospital really has "heart" - they strive to do their best everyday and more or less love what they do. There are often employee appreciation days for different departments, and other fun activities like Halloween bake sales, wellness meetings, and many more.

Cons

Some politics that can be frustrating, but I would expect that in any hospital.

Rewarding

I have been working at Hospital for Special Surgery

Pros

Very talented staff, many opportunities to grow.

Cons

A possibly difficult commute for some.

Not your average hospital!

Current Employee - Physician Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Physician Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Great pay with night or weekend differential.
    Set schedule that never rotates; if you work 3 days a week then you have time for a second job
    Good benefits if your full time
    Great place to be towards the end of your clinical career; a lot of patients but doesn't take much medical management

Cons

Client happiness is all that matters with this institution, even if its not in the best of interest.
    You work with a very wealthy population that have more power than you in this hospital
    Not a good learning institution unless your a resident, fellow or Physical therapist. Not a good learning place for new PAs or RNs

Depends on department.

An good place to work with great vacation package!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Prestigous hospital with very good benefits. Salary wage is pretty decent. An instituion with that tries to live up to their name. Usually there is a pay raise every year.

Cons

Promotions are not easily come by. You can easily be looked over and find yourself training someone for the position you are qualified for. You will be given an excuse that the person is coming in to add something new to the position and that this person knows how to do something new that is now required for the position, which is totally not the case. There is no loyalty.

Depending on your department will determine how strict they are about your time off, lateness and sick time taken. Small hospital so everyone kind of know eachother.

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Receiving Clerk in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Receiving Clerk in New York, NY

I have been working at Hospital for Special Surgery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment and awesome people for the most part. Kinda feel like you play for the Yankees of hospitals.

Cons

Growing too fast and not hiring the proper manpower to face the growth. Need a better job out of certain departments so it does not strain other departments

HIRE MORE PEOPLE!!!

Materials Management Clerk

Current Employee - Clerk in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clerk in New York, NY

Pros

Meet a lot of people from different departments and you are never really bored on the job.

Cons

Some people can be rude and obnoxious and you can get taken for granted.

Give employees what they actually need to do their jobs properly and be upfront about them whenever you can.

Phenominal

I have been working at Hospital for Special Surgery

Pros

Great salary, very nice people, great atmosphere

Cons

Hard when taking public transportation