HostGator.com

Updated February 16, 2015
3.1

HostGator.com CEO Adam Farrar
Adam Farrar

Pros
  • There's also games and free lunch everyday (it's pretty decent most days) (in 50 reviews)

• There was free lunch, no dress code, and plenty to learn (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a general feeling of negative attitudes towards upper management among many employees (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay, company values seem to have shifted toward anything to make people miserable (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

103 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Excellent Company to Gain Experience

Current Employee - Junior Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Has a great learning environment. There is no judging but everyone works together with a spirit of teamwork. There is help earning certifications. Advancement potential is great. Training is provided every step of the way. There is free garage parking and free lunch and a gym at the facility. I have been able to train and test for additional responsibilty n a short period of time. The benefits are excellent. You can't find a better health insurance plan anywhere.

Cons

The first three months are difficult and you will need to spend a lot of time studying but again you get out what you put in. The most difficult aspect was during this early timeframe of three months. Web hosting is rather complex so there is a lot to learn in a short period of time which subjects you to a little rudeness by some customers. I am past that now. If you can put up with this you will survive. Don't let this deter you though because I believe the pros outweigh the cons greatly but you need to go in knowing what to expect so you can be prepared. The starting pay is not that great but again if you work hard and study you can move up to a better pay scale faster.

Customers are complaining about the slow response on tickets. If there is not enough people to work tickets then consider letting us put in extra time to do tickets. We in chats and on phones need the extra money and it gives us more opprtunity to learn. Fast track those of us with prior experience. We will rise to meet and exceed your expecations and those of our customers.

Meh... just a stepping stone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You do meet some cool people. I've kept in touch with some coworkers and have had fun experiences. People are generally pretty friendly.

I liked the massage days and sometimes took advantage of beer Fridays. Wine Wednesdays was so/so since it was cheap wine.

Cons

When I joined the company, I thought I was slightly underpaid, but when leaving and finding a better job that paid more (and had similar in responsibilities to what I did at HG), I felt duped.

Food was so/so, but oftentimes would violate health laws (but hey it's free so who cares if the meat can be undercooked?)

Training and development was barely existent. When I joined, I was told that the company would sponsor any outside trainings/workshops/certifications I wanted to pursue, but was duped after a few months working at HG when I asked about it.

Some people were cool, others were downright nasty. I had a horrible manager, but I enjoyed what I did. The manager did eventually break my experience though and thus I sought greener pastures.

You have quite a number of bad apples in the company. Find them and get rid of them or you will lose your top talent.

Most bittersweet position I've ever held

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Catered lunch, holiday bonus, advance from within, massage. Colleagues are willing to take the time to help you learn. The people there are some of the best I've ever met.

Cons

Female leadership is abysmal. They justify paying less than industry standard by not requiring admins with certifications or degrees.

Rather than fire good employees for attendance, ask them what's going on, and try to work with them to improve. The amount of employees fired for attendance issues relating to their health is extremely problematic.

Horrible

Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com

Pros

HORRIBLE COMPANY AND LIES AND RIPS CUSTOMER OFF

Cons

Horrible company do not work here

Stupid mangers

Cons outweigh pros.

Former Employee - Junior Administrator Level II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Administrator Level II in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com

Pros

Social environment. Free food. The only reason I've stuck around as long as I did was because of the people I work with, it's great.

Cons

Free food is terrible quality and any attempt to complain about it gets squashed. Upper management doesn't care and you can tell they get a lot of pressure from EIG or the CEO. I haven't seen the CEO in two years and I worked in the same location as him. There is little room for promotion and many of the best employees have moved on to better companies that pay better as well.

When you have 30-60 minute waits on live support and 8 days on tickets, don't do more sales.

Great place to learn and grow, bad place to make a career unless you work your way to the very top.

Current Employee - Security Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Security Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Challenging work environment
    - Numerous opportunities to really learn a lot about servers, Linux, and web technologies
    - Free food and other small perks like massages every other week.
    - Houston office is really nice since the move
    - Bonuses are available if you can really push your metrics
    - Great place to get started in tech career

Cons

- Management focused on numbers more than quality of work
    - Pay is mediocre
    - Workload is extremely high, there will never be a moment where you're not doing anything. When I did chats it was 5+ at a time, or 1 call 1 chat at a time.
    - Free food was OK at best, plain nasty at worst
    - The buyout has caused a big shift in company culture
    - Vaping indoors banned (before that, everyone vaped inside, and half of the employees vaped)
    - Supervisors and directors increasingly high-strung, will get on your bum for the littlest infraction

Focus on quality more than numbers. This goes for the amount of work done by employees, as well as what you're doing with the servers. HostGator was built on "quality of work", and it will fall if it doesn't shift back to that.

Fantastic

Current Employee - Junior Administrator Level II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Administrator Level II in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch every day, massages once a week, team outings once a month, company outings every few months, excellent benefits, on the job training for advancement. Just an all around awesome place to work. The people are great and the opportunities, if you apply yourself, can be endless.

Cons

I honestly have nothing to put here. But, 20 word minimum, so here I am, still typing stuff I guess...

Great Atmosphere , Bad Pay/Opportunities.

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

No Dress Code, Athmosphere is great, the people there are real nice and supportive. Free Food every day as well as drinks ever now and then.

Cons

The pay the offer is not that great and it is very hard to get promoted. They always talk and try to motivate you by telling you storys of how someone got promoted in just a few moments but those stories are one of a kind.

Truckstop

Former Employee - Security Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Security Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's right off the highway, bathrooms are somewhat clean, some really good, friendly, helpful people work there.

Little scope of support means you have the opportunity to deal with just about everything.

There is some training, in house tools, decent break rooms.

They do promote from within.

Cons

Supervisors for jr admin's are over loaded, and under paid. There are rumors that they may get write ups to pass on to their subordinates from the higher ups with little over sight or chance to review and agree to the conclusion. Be sure to be aware of your working enviroment and provide feed back on any paperwork that you get. Supervisors may not agree with the write up, but the choice is passing it on, or losing their job. You're going to get the write up.

Quality assurance is there for the customers only, they don't always know more about computers than the customers coming into the chat room. Their behavior and roles in the company liken them to the gestapo. Information goes in, and almost nothing helpful comes out.

Advancement can be a very bad thing, supervisors may not know enough about your job to be helpful. there may not be level 2's that will help with problems, and there may not a line of support if you genuinely just need help reaching a resolution. But there is an out if you ask to move to other departments.

Quota has been pushed hard in that company to the point where there are issues with just generating replies to tickets to keep above the waterline. Resolution based approaches are not as important as how you look on paper.

The food they bring for lunch can be very terrible. Really.

When I worked there stagnation among employee's was frowned upon, get a lot of raises as a jr admin, you're going to be moved up or moved out, why pay someone well for doing the front lines when they can roll someone else in for minimum pay to just be another face.

Tools and shells inside the company will not be seen anywhere else and there is little afforded training to prepare you for outside work where you'd actually be considered competent. No consideration for furthering education, and little incentives or support to obtain related certifications.

Define scope of support, provide a medium of protection against abusive customers, at least make an attempt to retain people for long term if they are happy in the position regardless.

Training needs to be a constant endeavor, to apply actual skills and understanding of tools. If you give your employee's confidence that you are there for them and not the all mighty dollar they may actually work better.

Break down internal support to be a bit wider and give people contacts they can talk to and ask questions from reliably. Having a system where you don't know who you are talking to, puts a communications barrier up.

Call Center Job - Quit on day 5. I really tried.

Former Contractor - V JUNIOR Administrative in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - V JUNIOR Administrative in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Food and Breakroom
    Almost entirely poorly educated african americans in my training class. Could be a Con.
    No drug test.
    Good place to learn if you thrive on misery and stress.

Cons

Shuttle because no parking and they will tell you it's almost done, but employees say they have been saying that since April.
    Horrible Training. Absolutely Useless.
    Saleslike Atmosphere and Nazi Attitude toward phone calls....just like a sales call center. We're talking STATISTICS on your calls to a degree you will find hilarious if you are coming from an IT job in the real world.
    Slave wages.
    Stressful Environment.
    Entire class was warned they could easily be fired. Repeatedly.
    Trainer admitted they use temp agencies to get around labor laws.
    Aire of dissatisfaction and cronyism.
    Horrible commute from anywhere due to location and construction.

Stop hiring people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. I will never use your company after seeing how you operate.