HostGator.com

HostGator.com Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 22, 2014

HostGator.com CEO Adam Farrar

Adam Farrar

Pros
  • Free lunch - not fantastic but it is free so take this on a per day basis(in 47 reviews)

• Coworkers, benefits and perks (massage, lunch provided), no dress code, training and opportunities to learn(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, company values seem to have shifted toward anything to make people miserable(in 9 reviews)

• There is a general feeling of negative attitudes towards upper management among many employees(in 9 reviews)

90 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Changing for the better

Junior Administrator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe people here are really great. The people I work with are very friendly. My supervisor has been very helpful when I needed to take days off to take care of my sick kid. The HR department here really works with you too. Benefits are great. Insurance plans are really affordable, there is a matching 401k plan, free weekly massages, free meals and drinks and relaxed dress code.

ConsCompensation is typical of an entry level job, but it is getting better. A lot of people just got raises as the salary minimum was just bumped up. Parking has been rough, but they are building a new parking garage that is almost finished. The food can be iffy on some days, but hey its free, and you still get a 1 hour lunch if you don't want to eat it.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to your employees suggestions. Invest in your employees.

Still Making Changes

Junior Administrator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCoworkers, benefits and perks (massage, lunch provided), no dress code, training and opportunities to learn.

ConsPay, pay and pay (compensation). Although the pay is improving slightly to better match the industry standards. The office atmosphere is also deteriorating. Jr. Administrators are a cog in the wheel. This position does not allow for much flexibility and chats are worse than calls in how they are handled.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend that you continue to make improvements to pay to attract and reward loyal and talented employees. I have also heard it suggested that graveyard and chat should have slightly more in compensation -- if you have issues attracting employees to these roles and time slots. Employees meeting quota and rating expectations should not be harassed for every water, coffee and bathroom break; but the Jr. Administrator role is trending more towards keeping you in a seat for a specified period of time.

Used to be Awesome. EIG Sucks.

Junior Administrator I (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAwesome work environment, everyone is pretty friendly, cool game room, gym, free lunch, and the oppurtunity to learn. I have learned something everyday for the past year and I now know way more than I ever thought I would. Honestly, I never knew I would be able to have the knowledge set I currently have and for that I am grateful. I also met the love of my life here, so that was a plus for me, heh, heh.

ConsPay could be a bit higher, but it was fine for my level of experience upon being hired. Shift bids kill the whole vibe. Every six months or so, you have to bid on a new shift, and your time to bid depends on your numbers. However, if you work at night, it is harder to get better numbers, so you are stuck working nights. Also, policies change left and right without any consideration of the employees that work there currently. To be honest, the most dissappointing thing is that we are all expendable. Employee retention is non-existent. Everyone I know wants to leave the company, because we all feel like we are not appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou spend a lot of time grooming people to be the perfect agent, or to strive to be the perfect agent, but you do nothing to keep them. You took away part time job positions, and for what? You don't work with your employees and our cries fall on deaf ears. Many people want to move up, and you have made it close to imossible. Retaining quality agents should be a priority, and awarding good work as well as providing more incentives for awesome work may help. Overall, realize that you need us as much as we need you, and work with us.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hostgator is an awesome company to work for!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHostgator provides free lunch. The dress code is very casual. Everyone is friendly! There is something fun always happening. I look forward to coming in to work everyday. They will work with your schedule.

ConsThe work is challenging but exciting at the same time. There is some days that the food isn't all that great...

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage employees to come up with ideas.

Not for everyone-- stressful days every day.

Technical Support Representative I (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosthey feed you daily, although the food is usually crap (or it was when I was there anyway). They take you out once a month for team building meetings which are kinda cool sometimes. You have a nice deskjob in the AC making $12 an hour which is nice compared to many other jobs at that pay rate.

Consit's a customer service job and you are dealing with some of the most stressed people on earth, so that stress will start to wear you down. it took me 8-9 months but eventually i had enough and had to get out of there.

Not a place to make a career. Get in learn quick and get out as fast as you can.or find somewhere you can really grow...

Linux Administrative L1 (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFree Meal during shift. but supervisors won't touch it and pass out phrases like good luck. It's somewhat edible...but since you wont be able to feed yourself on what they pay....Its a meal. Massage day...Beer day..Exercise room but no shower so don;'t you dare do it before work.

ConsResponses...Very few really seems to care about solving things in 1 step...get the numbers and presenting a false impression to the customer....Supervisors are really babysitters with less technical knowledge than you. They only advantage is they can call upper tier without getting jumped on. If your a dog...you will like jumping through hoops. No real physical security. Too many people dont wear their lanyards let alone have their badges....I suppose we are just suppose to recognize you as someone important.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat management....your judged by people you never talk to or see. Your feedback is what your supervisor writes back in your review that he is too bored to even read. Your supervisor is just a mouthpiece and has no real say and is just as afraid of losing his job as you are and people are running to the door as quickly as they can find other jobs.

No opinion of Adam Farrar...It wouldn't matter, he has no personal investment in you at your level.

It has really changed

Junior Administrator I (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI would like to say the people that you work with are great, but unfortunately everyone that had been with the company before it was purchased by EIG has been getting laid off.

ConsThere is a focus of profit over quality within the company. What was once an opportunity for those that actually like to help customers do a job they like, has now become the crushing world of metrics over actually helping people.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is still around from before the buyout, and they are equally as frustrated.

Possibly a good fit for someone looking to gain a little experience early in career.

Supervisor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere are plenty of opportunities to work with others, share knowledge, and gain some experience. The benefits were starting to get better towards the end of my stint at HostGator.

ConsThe "upper" management team is primarily very young, with little experience. The business is on cruise control and could do so much better. The parent company needs to step in and seriously evaluate what is going on. There is extremely high turnover for reasons management refuses to correct. The lowest paid individuals may be overpaid, while higher paid individuals may be underpaid. The corporate structure needs attention.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the "Cons" section.

Outbound Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThey tried to create a relaxed culture in a sales environment.

ConsLeadership did not really seem to know what they were doing with the new department. As a result, they failed and laid off most of the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear with employees about what you expect and what you're doing. Don't act like all is well and then suddenly lay off employees.

Good starting place for people wanting to get into Linux

Migrations Administrator I (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe regular employees are the best part of the company. They try and keep people with the Free Beer Fridays and free food. Benefits are OK and they are fairly flexible with your work schedule.

ConsLots of layoffs and cutting back on on internal promotions since the company was bought out by AIG.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry paying better and promoting people that deserve it, not because of the group they hang out with.

Worked for HostGator.com? Contribute to the Community!