HostGator.com Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated August 8, 2014
2.9

HostGator.com CEO Adam Farrar
Adam Farrar

Pros
  • There's also games and free lunch everyday (it's pretty decent most days) (in 48 reviews)

• There was free lunch, no dress code, and plenty to learn (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, company values seem to have shifted toward anything to make people miserable (in 9 reviews)

• There is a general feeling of negative attitudes towards upper management among many employees (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

93 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Windows admin

Former Employee - Windows Administrator  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Windows Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits such as PTO was decent. Some of the policies sucked!
    Free lunch
    Paid for certification test

Cons

Compensation was horrible.
    Moral was low.
    Always had a "soon" attitude, but rarely you saw something get accomplished on time.
    They gave annual/ promotion raises at the same time so you do not get more money.

Pay the good employees so they do not leave and join a competitor

Basically a good entry level job, not a place to make a career at

Current Employee - Linux Administrator Supervisor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefit package has greatly improved since EIG took over. There's 5%employee for 4% company matching with the 401k. Pay is also more comparable to the industry average also

Cons

Parking, career path ceilings once you hit L2 or supervisor, immature employees, job security around December when the great purge happens, ridiculous access restrictions that inhibit ability to do jobs efficiently, no remote work. As an employee the carousel of supervisors is pretty ridiculous as well. Generally you'll never see the same one twice for an evaluation.

People need some stability to function, otherwise they do just enough to get by and get to their next job.

Changing for the better

Current Employee - Junior Administrator  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people here are really great. The people I work with are very friendly. My supervisor has been very helpful when I needed to take days off to take care of my sick kid. The HR department here really works with you too. Benefits are great. Insurance plans are really affordable, there is a matching 401k plan, free weekly massages, free meals and drinks and relaxed dress code.

Cons

Compensation is typical of an entry level job, but it is getting better. A lot of people just got raises as the salary minimum was just bumped up. Parking has been rough, but they are building a new parking garage that is almost finished. The food can be iffy on some days, but hey its free, and you still get a 1 hour lunch if you don't want to eat it.

Continue to listen to your employees suggestions. Invest in your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still Making Changes

Current Employee - Junior Administrator  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers, benefits and perks (massage, lunch provided), no dress code, training and opportunities to learn.

Cons

Pay, pay and pay (compensation). Although the pay is improving slightly to better match the industry standards. The office atmosphere is also deteriorating. Jr. Administrators are a cog in the wheel. This position does not allow for much flexibility and chats are worse than calls in how they are handled.

I would recommend that you continue to make improvements to pay to attract and reward loyal and talented employees. I have also heard it suggested that graveyard and chat should have slightly more in compensation -- if you have issues attracting employees to these roles and time slots. Employees meeting quota and rating expectations should not be harassed for every water, coffee and bathroom break; but the Jr. Administrator role is trending more towards keeping you in a seat for a specified period of time.

Used to be Awesome. EIG Sucks.

Current Employee - Junior Administrator I  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Administrator I in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome work environment, everyone is pretty friendly, cool game room, gym, free lunch, and the oppurtunity to learn. I have learned something everyday for the past year and I now know way more than I ever thought I would. Honestly, I never knew I would be able to have the knowledge set I currently have and for that I am grateful. I also met the love of my life here, so that was a plus for me, heh, heh.

Cons

Pay could be a bit higher, but it was fine for my level of experience upon being hired. Shift bids kill the whole vibe. Every six months or so, you have to bid on a new shift, and your time to bid depends on your numbers. However, if you work at night, it is harder to get better numbers, so you are stuck working nights. Also, policies change left and right without any consideration of the employees that work there currently. To be honest, the most dissappointing thing is that we are all expendable. Employee retention is non-existent. Everyone I know wants to leave the company, because we all feel like we are not appreciated.

You spend a lot of time grooming people to be the perfect agent, or to strive to be the perfect agent, but you do nothing to keep them. You took away part time job positions, and for what? You don't work with your employees and our cries fall on deaf ears. Many people want to move up, and you have made it close to imossible. Retaining quality agents should be a priority, and awarding good work as well as providing more incentives for awesome work may help. Overall, realize that you need us as much as we need you, and work with us.

Technical Support Rep

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked here for about a year. The training is really good, and I have a good relationship with my manager. I've seen a lot of my coworkers move up. I know I will move up soon, too. I've learned a lot of technical skills in the past year. We are allowed to wear and t-shirt everyday, and there's a gym for the employees to use. There's also games and free lunch everyday (it's pretty decent most days). The health benefits and PTO time are actually very generous and affordable.

Cons

I think the environment is light and fun. I do see the supervisors trying to make it a fun place to work. So, I can't really complain too much. I would say to stop making eggs for lunch!

I'd try to keep up the communication with the workers, and I'd try to have more fun days.

Not for everyone-- stressful days every day.

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative I  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

they feed you daily, although the food is usually crap (or it was when I was there anyway). They take you out once a month for team building meetings which are kinda cool sometimes. You have a nice deskjob in the AC making $12 an hour which is nice compared to many other jobs at that pay rate.

Cons

it's a customer service job and you are dealing with some of the most stressed people on earth, so that stress will start to wear you down. it took me 8-9 months but eventually i had enough and had to get out of there.

Hostgator is an awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hostgator provides free lunch. The dress code is very casual. Everyone is friendly! There is something fun always happening. I look forward to coming in to work everyday. They will work with your schedule.

Cons

The work is challenging but exciting at the same time. There is some days that the food isn't all that great...

Encourage employees to come up with ideas.

Not a place to make a career. Get in learn quick and get out as fast as you can.or find somewhere you can really grow...

Current Employee - Linux Administrative L1  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Administrative L1 in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Meal during shift. but supervisors won't touch it and pass out phrases like good luck. It's somewhat edible...but since you wont be able to feed yourself on what they pay....Its a meal. Massage day...Beer day..Exercise room but no shower so don;'t you dare do it before work.

Cons

Responses...Very few really seems to care about solving things in 1 step...get the numbers and presenting a false impression to the customer....Supervisors are really babysitters with less technical knowledge than you. They only advantage is they can call upper tier without getting jumped on. If your a dog...you will like jumping through hoops. No real physical security. Too many people dont wear their lanyards let alone have their badges....I suppose we are just suppose to recognize you as someone important.

What management....your judged by people you never talk to or see. Your feedback is what your supervisor writes back in your review that he is too bored to even read. Your supervisor is just a mouthpiece and has no real say and is just as afraid of losing his job as you are and people are running to the door as quickly as they can find other jobs.

No opinion of Adam Farrar...It wouldn't matter, he has no personal investment in you at your level.

It has really changed

Former Employee - Junior Administrator I  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Administrator I in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I would like to say the people that you work with are great, but unfortunately everyone that had been with the company before it was purchased by EIG has been getting laid off.

Cons

There is a focus of profit over quality within the company. What was once an opportunity for those that actually like to help customers do a job they like, has now become the crushing world of metrics over actually helping people.

Management is still around from before the buyout, and they are equally as frustrated.

Worked for HostGator.com? Contribute to the Community!