HostGator.com Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated October 13, 2014
2.8

HostGator.com CEO Adam Farrar
Adam Farrar

Pros
  • There's also games and free lunch everyday (it's pretty decent most days) (in 49 reviews)

• There was free lunch, no dress code, and plenty to learn (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a general feeling of negative attitudes towards upper management among many employees (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay, company values seem to have shifted toward anything to make people miserable (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

96 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Atmosphere , Bad Pay/Opportunities.

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No Dress Code, Athmosphere is great, the people there are real nice and supportive. Free Food every day as well as drinks ever now and then.

Cons

The pay the offer is not that great and it is very hard to get promoted. They always talk and try to motivate you by telling you storys of how someone got promoted in just a few moments but those stories are one of a kind.

Truckstop

Former Employee - Security Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Security Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's right off the highway, bathrooms are somewhat clean, some really good, friendly, helpful people work there.

Little scope of support means you have the opportunity to deal with just about everything.

There is some training, in house tools, decent break rooms.

They do promote from within.

Cons

Supervisors for jr admin's are over loaded, and under paid. There are rumors that they may get write ups to pass on to their subordinates from the higher ups with little over sight or chance to review and agree to the conclusion. Be sure to be aware of your working enviroment and provide feed back on any paperwork that you get. Supervisors may not agree with the write up, but the choice is passing it on, or losing their job. You're going to get the write up.

Quality assurance is there for the customers only, they don't always know more about computers than the customers coming into the chat room. Their behavior and roles in the company liken them to the gestapo. Information goes in, and almost nothing helpful comes out.

Advancement can be a very bad thing, supervisors may not know enough about your job to be helpful. there may not be level 2's that will help with problems, and there may not a line of support if you genuinely just need help reaching a resolution. But there is an out if you ask to move to other departments.

Quota has been pushed hard in that company to the point where there are issues with just generating replies to tickets to keep above the waterline. Resolution based approaches are not as important as how you look on paper.

The food they bring for lunch can be very terrible. Really.

When I worked there stagnation among employee's was frowned upon, get a lot of raises as a jr admin, you're going to be moved up or moved out, why pay someone well for doing the front lines when they can roll someone else in for minimum pay to just be another face.

Tools and shells inside the company will not be seen anywhere else and there is little afforded training to prepare you for outside work where you'd actually be considered competent. No consideration for furthering education, and little incentives or support to obtain related certifications.

Define scope of support, provide a medium of protection against abusive customers, at least make an attempt to retain people for long term if they are happy in the position regardless.

Training needs to be a constant endeavor, to apply actual skills and understanding of tools. If you give your employee's confidence that you are there for them and not the all mighty dollar they may actually work better.

Break down internal support to be a bit wider and give people contacts they can talk to and ask questions from reliably. Having a system where you don't know who you are talking to, puts a communications barrier up.

Call Center Job - Quit on day 5. I really tried.

Former Employee - V JUNIOR Administrative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - V JUNIOR Administrative in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Food and Breakroom
    Almost entirely poorly educated african americans in my training class. Could be a Con.
    No drug test.
    Good place to learn if you thrive on misery and stress.

Cons

Shuttle because no parking and they will tell you it's almost done, but employees say they have been saying that since April.
    Horrible Training. Absolutely Useless.
    Saleslike Atmosphere and Nazi Attitude toward phone calls....just like a sales call center. We're talking STATISTICS on your calls to a degree you will find hilarious if you are coming from an IT job in the real world.
    Slave wages.
    Stressful Environment.
    Entire class was warned they could easily be fired. Repeatedly.
    Trainer admitted they use temp agencies to get around labor laws.
    Aire of dissatisfaction and cronyism.
    Horrible commute from anywhere due to location and construction.

Stop hiring people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. I will never use your company after seeing how you operate.

Windows admin

Former Employee - Windows Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Windows Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits such as PTO was decent. Some of the policies sucked!
    Free lunch
    Paid for certification test

Cons

Compensation was horrible.
    Moral was low.
    Always had a "soon" attitude, but rarely you saw something get accomplished on time.
    They gave annual/ promotion raises at the same time so you do not get more money.

Pay the good employees so they do not leave and join a competitor

Basically a good entry level job, not a place to make a career at

Current Employee - Linux Administrator Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefit package has greatly improved since EIG took over. There's 5%employee for 4% company matching with the 401k. Pay is also more comparable to the industry average also

Cons

Parking, career path ceilings once you hit L2 or supervisor, immature employees, job security around December when the great purge happens, ridiculous access restrictions that inhibit ability to do jobs efficiently, no remote work. As an employee the carousel of supervisors is pretty ridiculous as well. Generally you'll never see the same one twice for an evaluation.

People need some stability to function, otherwise they do just enough to get by and get to their next job.

Used to be Awesome. EIG Sucks.

Current Employee - Junior Administrator I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Administrator I in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome work environment, everyone is pretty friendly, cool game room, gym, free lunch, and the oppurtunity to learn. I have learned something everyday for the past year and I now know way more than I ever thought I would. Honestly, I never knew I would be able to have the knowledge set I currently have and for that I am grateful. I also met the love of my life here, so that was a plus for me, heh, heh.

Cons

Pay could be a bit higher, but it was fine for my level of experience upon being hired. Shift bids kill the whole vibe. Every six months or so, you have to bid on a new shift, and your time to bid depends on your numbers. However, if you work at night, it is harder to get better numbers, so you are stuck working nights. Also, policies change left and right without any consideration of the employees that work there currently. To be honest, the most dissappointing thing is that we are all expendable. Employee retention is non-existent. Everyone I know wants to leave the company, because we all feel like we are not appreciated.

You spend a lot of time grooming people to be the perfect agent, or to strive to be the perfect agent, but you do nothing to keep them. You took away part time job positions, and for what? You don't work with your employees and our cries fall on deaf ears. Many people want to move up, and you have made it close to imossible. Retaining quality agents should be a priority, and awarding good work as well as providing more incentives for awesome work may help. Overall, realize that you need us as much as we need you, and work with us.

Changing for the better

Current Employee - Junior Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people here are really great. The people I work with are very friendly. My supervisor has been very helpful when I needed to take days off to take care of my sick kid. The HR department here really works with you too. Benefits are great. Insurance plans are really affordable, there is a matching 401k plan, free weekly massages, free meals and drinks and relaxed dress code.

Cons

Compensation is typical of an entry level job, but it is getting better. A lot of people just got raises as the salary minimum was just bumped up. Parking has been rough, but they are building a new parking garage that is almost finished. The food can be iffy on some days, but hey its free, and you still get a 1 hour lunch if you don't want to eat it.

Continue to listen to your employees suggestions. Invest in your employees.

Still Making Changes

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers, benefits and perks (massage, lunch provided), no dress code, training and opportunities to learn.

Cons

Pay, pay and pay (compensation). Although the pay is improving slightly to better match the industry standards. The office atmosphere is also deteriorating. Jr. Administrators are a cog in the wheel. This position does not allow for much flexibility and chats are worse than calls in how they are handled.

I would recommend that you continue to make improvements to pay to attract and reward loyal and talented employees. I have also heard it suggested that graveyard and chat should have slightly more in compensation -- if you have issues attracting employees to these roles and time slots. Employees meeting quota and rating expectations should not be harassed for every water, coffee and bathroom break; but the Jr. Administrator role is trending more towards keeping you in a seat for a specified period of time.

Technical Support Rep

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked here for about a year. The training is really good, and I have a good relationship with my manager. I've seen a lot of my coworkers move up. I know I will move up soon, too. I've learned a lot of technical skills in the past year. We are allowed to wear and t-shirt everyday, and there's a gym for the employees to use. There's also games and free lunch everyday (it's pretty decent most days). The health benefits and PTO time are actually very generous and affordable.

Cons

I think the environment is light and fun. I do see the supervisors trying to make it a fun place to work. So, I can't really complain too much. I would say to stop making eggs for lunch!

I'd try to keep up the communication with the workers, and I'd try to have more fun days.

Not for everyone-- stressful days every day.

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

they feed you daily, although the food is usually crap (or it was when I was there anyway). They take you out once a month for team building meetings which are kinda cool sometimes. You have a nice deskjob in the AC making $12 an hour which is nice compared to many other jobs at that pay rate.

Cons

it's a customer service job and you are dealing with some of the most stressed people on earth, so that stress will start to wear you down. it took me 8-9 months but eventually i had enough and had to get out of there.