HostGator.com Reviews

It is what it is.

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get "Linux Administrator" on your resume. Age 10 years in a month. Some awesome coworkers.

Cons

HostGator was a terrible company to work for as a front-line sysadmin. They overprovision just as much as any of their competitors, and don't empower their employees to build better solutions that would provide more stability and make life as a linux admin saner. The daily targets for # of tickets/chats/calls worked are absurd, even considering that the vast majority of budget webhosting customers open service requests for non-problems >90% of the time. The general atmosphere was terrible. The catered meals were pretty nasty most of the time.

Advice to Management

Spend a few clams to make your frontline chat techs and sysadmins lives better, because you wouldn't make a dime without them.

Avoid HostGator at all cost, customer or candidate

Former Employee - Junior Administrative Tech Lvl I in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Administrative Tech Lvl I in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they seem appealing, offering a meal for every shift worked, they have nice perks like monthly outings... we got to see Avengers: Age of Ultron the day before it was released to the general public when they rented out the theatre... all seems really cool, until you find out it is to compensate for the deplorable way they treat you "by policy".

Cons

They have a SIGNIFICANT problem in providing training. The trainers do their best, but they are tech support folks who came from the floor to train poorly planned and executed training programs. They know they need a REAL training program, and they are trying to hire a Director of Training, but until then, they find it easier to fire people for "not following policy" when they have not properly trained on it. Also, when warned, I asked for remedial training... they said "look at this web page"...and that was all the remedial training there was. I got a GREAT 90 day review after that, so I decided to move the 50 miles closer to my job, and the day after I moved, I was fired for this same "problem"... I asked to review my infraction and defend myself, and they said "there is no point, you are terminated." Beware people, they have an employee to Supervisor ratio of 30+:1... there is NO company I know of that finds that to be an acceptable level of supervision and support. There are far more cons.... security tickets having to wait 2+ weeks to be addressed, Support procedures that tell a tech to put a customer on infinite hold if they request a supervisor or Manager... the list gose on...

Advice to Management

Quit insulating yourselves from being contacted by your people. Supervision and Management are trained/told to insulate upper management so that they likely do not even know what the real problems are. God forbid some "disgruntled ex employee" should care enough to get through and offer constructive suggestions for improvement. This is especially true of the Corporate parent Endurance International. Even if you do not like the person calling, you may learn some very valuable information that would actually improve the company. Also, the corporate values published, I believe, are strictly eyewash for investors... they paint a pretty picture that they CARE about employees and customers, even telling a story of overcoming adversity... but I believe there is no sincerity in it at all.

Going downhill, fast.

Former Employee - Junior Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some cool people, though the more intelligent and laid back employees are leaving for better companies. - Free food, free beer/wine, free massages. - Good experience if you've never been in webhosting, they pretty much hire anyone who can use a computer.

Cons

- No transparency. Management is secretive. HR is useless. No one higher up cares about you. - There is a dedicated sales team but they are pushing support agents to make sales. - Attendance policy is horrible. There are no excused call ins, not even with doctors notes or hospital discharge papers. If you don't have the PTO to cover your absence, then you're screwed. - The free food is terrible quality. - Compensation is the worst in the industry. - Overall depressing environment. Many agents are unhappy and you can tell.

Advice to Management

If you want good people to work here, make it a better place to work. EIG is making it more and more corporate and has leeched the company of its culture.

Good transit job

Current Employee - Junior Administrator Level II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Administrator Level II in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Despite what people here have said, the job is ridiculously easy after the first few months. You will get a thick skin and gain valuable Linux experience if you end up moving/getting promoted to that department

Cons

The kind of people who work here are washouts. Everyone from the lowest junior admin to the supervisor, IS, and Linux admins were those who couldn't find good jobs elsewhere. They had no choice, so they stuck with Hostgator. That being said, promotion here is gauged by small things like attendance, empathy to horrible customers who possess no such empathy for the agent working for them, and ridiculous metrics like conformance and nps(call/chat rating). Not to mention temp workers and unqualified agents who get promoted to roles more deserving agents should get. Hostgator doesn't care about you, and neither should you about Hostgator. Maybe once upon a time this was a good company to work for. But like all startups, it grew into a big bloated company that emphasized more customers at the expense of service. It became about the IPO and buyout. Money is everything, and Hostgator is just another greedy company that squeezes the life out of its employees so its shareholders can profit while kids straight out of high school and struggling mothers make ends up. Don't be a chump, don't work for Hostgator when you should be traveling the world or starting something that matters.

Advice to Management

Honestly just make the food edible and give people more breaks. promote based on skill but stuff that doesn't matter like if the hiring manager likes you or not. One more thing. You guys should leave too before you realize you no longer have any souls left. Because 40 grand a year isn't worth giving your soul to some lifeless corporation that thrives on misery for customers and employees both

Good work environment, low pay, sucks since EIG buyout

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time

Pros

Good People, like real good people, sharp, skilled, a lot to learn here

Cons

Pay is sub standard, no effort for employee retention ( turn and burn ) You might get promoted if someone above you dies Work is getting more bureaucratic everyday Borderline shady activity, like secretly caching customer sites so they can cram more accounts per server Entire platform is virtualized, no more bare metal systems CEO bought a new jet while the office is located in the ghetto

Advice to Management

pay people better, stand up to EIG,

7. Great company to work for.

Pros

The cater to their employees and the pay is awesome !!

Cons

Can be a little unprofessional at times.

Advice to Management

NONE

Things have changed...

Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back work environment, good people.

Cons

Things were much better before EIG got their hooks into the company. Since then, opportunities for advancement are somewhat mythical and there are no clear objectives in order to advance. Nowadays you have to beg and plead and pester to get additional training to be come more self-sufficient. At one point people were told that they actually had to improve their performance to get training! Completely backwards.

Advice to Management

As much as EIG just wants to gobble up companies with no real vision, HostGator needs to somehow hold on to it's identity. HG was once known for it's commitment to it's employees and customers, and needs to get back to that.

Jr. Admin

Former Employee - Junior Administrator I in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Administrator I in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch Company events Free beer Free Massage

Cons

Stressful Training is only two to three weeks. All the trainers are new and know nothing about training. When you ask a question they tell you they will come back to it and never do. Company does not care about employees in general. Only one day off per month in PTO and you must either use it for vacation or sick. So if you are sick three days you will get written up and eventually fired.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to care more about your employees. Do away with the things that don't matter like beer and wine and give your employees some PTO for emergency situations and time to spend with our families. Also invest in a better training program 2/3 weeks is not enough to learn all that your positions entail.

10. Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

brought in lunch for us, gave us wine on wedneday and beer on Friday generally laid back, not too aggressive sales tactics very casual work wear good reputation with customers that I called on

Cons

could be unprofessional at times hired too many and laid off 3/4 of our sales force

11. Jr. Administrator Level 2

Former Employee - Junior Administrator Level II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Administrator Level II in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing was the training you receive for the first 2 weeks. After that, it is hell.

Cons

Everything. Literally everything sucked at HostGator.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees enough to get a real apartment/house in Austin. I was a waitress and made much more.

RSS Feed </> Embed