HostGator.com Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

HostGator.com CEO Adam Farrar
Adam Farrar

Pros
  • There's also games and free lunch everyday (it's pretty decent most days) (in 48 reviews)

• There was free lunch, no dress code, and plenty to learn (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, company values seem to have shifted toward anything to make people miserable (in 9 reviews)

• There is a general feeling of negative attitudes towards upper management among many employees (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefits and policies

Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free catered meal each shift; very relaxed environment; browse the Internet freely when you don't have active customer contact; 1, 2 or 3 breaks "as you want"

Cons

Stress, little to no overtime, only an hour of break total. 90 day waiting period before you can get any sort of real access to help customers. "Internal Support" knows less than much of the Tier1 staff.

Give employees more latitude to help customers, earlier on in their time at HG.

HostGator was a Great Opportunity, for which I am grateful.

Former Employee - Senior Linux Systems Administrator  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Linux Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to work my way up from entry level and very little Linux knowledge to a management position in the most The Linux Administration department over three years--so I would say the biggest pro is the ability to grow there. They encourage you to learn, and promotion is attainable if you work for it, and are willing to meet management expectations. Also free food and stuff.

Cons

Its changing, not as drastically as some other reviews make it out to be, but its a publicly traded company now, so its just different than it use to be. There are some benefits to that, but there are also some draw backs. One drawback is the fact its slower (but still a real possibility) to be promoted. It use to be a smoother process, that much is for sure. Also, the general atmosphere is more corporate than is use to be, and policy has become frustratingly strict in some cases.

Try and recapture some of the atmosphere of how it use to be, while embracing the positive changes, and casting aside those that create new problems.

One other point I want to make is that I have no opinion of Mr.Farrar because I interacted with him very little, however, the other Officer level members of management I have interacted with are people I respect very much.

Useful for the experience in breaking into the industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be a great place to work that valued its employees, the people, excluding most of upper management, there are a couple good ones, are awesome to each other, great for a learning experience to move on to any other company that holds value in its employees.

Cons

Upper management cares about advancing their own careers, no value shown to long time employees, pay is terrible compared to industry standards, attitude towards employees is terrible to say the least, pressure put on everyone is extreme, EIG CEO lied about outsourcing to India to pay $200 a month for the jobs done here in the USA should be illegal! Harassment towards women goes unchecked, the good ole boys club is alive and well! Hostgator CEO and COO are sell outs that say they care and follow up with nothing!

Promote based on performance not on who is your buddy! Listen to your employees you are nothing without them!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constant issues bad customers.

I worked at HostGator.com

Pros

free food and beer and games downstairs

Cons

annoying customers, crazy lay off system.

get better.

From Best to Worst

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only thing good about the place is the free lunch if the food doesn't make you sick. There used to be other great perks, but they just don't seem to care any longer.

Cons

Low pay, company values seem to have shifted toward anything to make people miserable. Morale in the office is so low, people are leaving in droves. Paid time off is a joke unless you work for a year straight. Labor is lucky to accrue a day per month.

Stop firing all the good people and keeping the mediocre. Stop focusing on the all mighty dollar and focus on your employees who made you successful.

Start to an IT career without college experience.

Former Employee - Junior Administrator I  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Administrator I in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch every day. Awesome benefits. PTO. Cool people, laid back environment.

Cons

EIG takeover and datacenter move was horrible. It was hard representing a rapidly deteriorating product. Pay is not competitive for its industry.

Increase pay. Move your servers out of Provo, or have some experts take over Provo!

Not a place to make a career. Get in learn quick and get out as fast as you can.or find somewhere you can really grow...

Current Employee - Linux Administrative L1  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Administrative L1 in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Meal during shift. but supervisors won't touch it and pass out phrases like good luck. It's somewhat edible...but since you wont be able to feed yourself on what they pay....Its a meal. Massage day...Beer day..Exercise room but no shower so don;'t you dare do it before work.

Cons

Responses...Very few really seems to care about solving things in 1 step...get the numbers and presenting a false impression to the customer....Supervisors are really babysitters with less technical knowledge than you. They only advantage is they can call upper tier without getting jumped on. If your a dog...you will like jumping through hoops. No real physical security. Too many people dont wear their lanyards let alone have their badges....I suppose we are just suppose to recognize you as someone important.

What management....your judged by people you never talk to or see. Your feedback is what your supervisor writes back in your review that he is too bored to even read. Your supervisor is just a mouthpiece and has no real say and is just as afraid of losing his job as you are and people are running to the door as quickly as they can find other jobs.

No opinion of Adam Farrar...It wouldn't matter, he has no personal investment in you at your level.

Going downhill...

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunches (hit or miss). Co-workers are fine, with the exception of some bad apples lingering around. Okay starting point if you can't find another job and need something to pay the bills while you look for something better. Benefits are good.

Cons

Broken promises thrown around to try to motivate the employees because morale is low. Common to see others resigning for better opportunities or being let go, making turnover rampant. Griping about the low pay is standard, barely enough to live on without taking a side job. Questionable policies are thrown in place to treat employees like dirt.

Create a better working environment with supportive managers and leaders. Putting in broken machines and doing the bare minimum does not automatically make us a fun place to work.

Not what I expected

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch? . . . .

Cons

- Well below market in salary.
    - Have to call a supervisor to get on the list to use the bathroom and wait for them to notify you can go. Really!?!
    - Compensation is directly tied to the number of closed tickets. Some issues could take minutes, some hours, etc. Too easy to manipulate by managers (favoritism).
    - Not informed of strange business practices until after a week of orientation.
    - Not informed salary tied to tickets until after a week of orientation.

- Get rid of all the freeway billboards all over town soliciting Linux Admins for work. All it really does is show you cannot keep them.
    - Some business practices are simply deplorable. I was on unemployment and then investigated for quitting my job at Hostgator. Results of the investigation.... the job was declared an "inappropriate work environment" and I was acquitted.
    - Full disclosure about the opportunity when an offer for employment is made.
    - Why call them System Administrators when they are basically Technical Support Reps dealing directly with customers. Its misleading.

Know Linux? Go elsewhere

I worked at HostGator.com

Pros

There used to be a cool office but they moved. Some of the people were great. If they could recognize the talent on the floor, they would have a great team.

Cons

Horrible management, bad training, high turnover, bad culture from the top down. Maybe it has improved since Adam took over, but I would have to see it.

Worked for HostGator.com? Contribute to the Community!