Hostess Brands

www.hostessbrands.com

Hostess Brands Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014
Hostess Brands – US – “My bakery”

Hostess Brands President & CEO Gregory F. Rayburn

Gregory F. Rayburn

Pros
  • good pay but over the years continue to decline(in 11 reviews)

• About only pro is that the company does provide good benefits(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • poorly ran company from upper management(in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and dealing with a lot of people who maybe shouldn't have been placed in a position of authority(in 9 reviews)

Poorly run Company, very bad decision making, Company wastes money.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Henderson, NV

ProsWe have a job, average pay compared to the rest of the bakeries. The Union has been tiring to negotiate a better contract.

ConsWorking split days...I've heard all the reasons why we still have split days, that was a long time ago we need to move on , working weekends, constant shift changes, no respect to the employees, the ones that come in and do the LABOR!

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the employees pay alone, STOP! your big Company bonuses, and run the Company RIGHT!

It has been a learn on your own type of experience that is laden with lies

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) Gulfport, MS

ProsThere is a chance that you may have lots of personal time off from work

ConsThe company is in financial turmoil, upper management is clueless, lies are abundant and the employee is not valued

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the people who actually do the work to keep the company going

On balance, it has been a good company over my 30 years.

Shiping (Current Employee) Hodgkins, IL

ProsVery good pay for unskilled labor. Good benefits.

ConsInept management which has lead to our 2 bk's in 8 years. Lack of quality leadership at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose all the thrift stores. Close and consolidate bakeries. Cut bakery management in half. Eliminate varieties that do not sell. Get rid of anything owned by Hostess Brands that is not either specifically Hostess or Wonder Bread.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slave Drivers who don't give you a fair chance to learn the job

Production (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent. From what I heard there's plenty of overtime.

ConsSome of the trainers I had were nice but others acted as if you should already know how to do the job. They scheduled me to work in certain areas, but would move me to another area instead, sometimes they moved me before I even got started training and during training instead of letting the trainee stay on one task to learn it, they switched around which made it confusing. Some employees acted like they resented my being there. Some people were nice, but I could tell they all had their "clicks" and I didn't know if I would ever be accepted into one of them. A lot of times, I had to ask what to do because everyone would just run about doing their thing and leaving me in the dark. I got to work a total of six days through a temp agency before they decided they didn't want me back due to performance. I never got a fair chance to learn to do any of the jobs or to increase my speed. My first trainer told me (on my last day) that it was a slave driving company and they expected a lot, but not to worry, I would get better. I've never worked any where before that gave you one week of choppy, inconsistent, crash course training and expected you to perform like you'd been working there for six months to a year at the end of the week. It was "hell week" for me and although I would've liked to stay, mostly because of the pay, I'm glad it's over. A week full of back aches, little to no sleep because of being at work at 4 am and working 10 hr shifts, working with some people who wouldn't even speak to me (although a few were nice). There was one person who I'll miss. My first trainer, along with the two other people who work with her on a daily basis, they were genuinely nice to me and tried to train me properly without expecting me to perform miracles.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop better training methods with specific people to be trainers who aren't so arrogant they forget that they had to learn how to do the job too. I really don't think this advice or review will be taken seriously. I don't think this company really cares about their employees. They just care about the money.

Not bad, be better if it was more stable

District Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prospay, benefits and expenses. Vacation is good too. I have enjoyed my territory as well.

Consunstable- Everyone in mid/senior leadership is there because of time on job and not knowledge, There is a lot of waste that goes in the trash that could be additional GP.

Advice to Senior Managementsell to a capable owner

Machine Operator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you look to work long hours .... this is the place

ConsRotating schedule throughout the day

Do not work here

Prosdecent money, Get off work at a decent hour

Consupper management doesnt know anything, mismanagement of funds, treat employee's like crap. Keep taking more from the Route guys, we are already some of the lowest paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what your doing

work life of a salesman

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGood people to work with. The pay is fairly good. The benefits (for now) are alright. Immediate supervision is decent.

ConsLong hours and dealing with a lot of people who maybe shouldn't have been placed in a position of authority. Second bankruptcy for the company since I've been with them. Doesn't look like we'll survive this one.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the bankruptcy situation resolved. Whichever way it goes is preferable to going months on end not knowing if the doors will be locked the next day you come in.

What Happened to this Company

Route Sales (Current Employee) Chickasaw, AL

ProsAlways Hiring, good benefits, good guys to work with on the average

ConsI have seen this company change drastically. I guess I am old Now, I made great money here 20 years ago. Now, things are ran by greedy, dishonest , unexperienced uppermanagement, who have NO BAKERY distribution training. This IS ASHAME FOR SURE. DM's hide behind emails and texts, never go out on the market, demanding things that they have NO CLUE about. A real Bread Man build a report with their customers. I could go on and ON , its sad. so much waste.

Advice to Senior ManagementRECRUIT SOME OLDTIMERS, WHO UNDERSTAND DISTRIBUTION, this is not a soda delivivery company. GET SOME EXPERIENCE IN HERE. STOP THE GREED, STOP THE WASTE, NO WONDER YOU ALL LOOSE MONEY, GET OUT OF YOUR OFFICES AND GO CHECK OUT THE MARKET..OR IS IT TOO HOT??

rode hard, chewed up and spit out

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere is no best reason to work here. The benefits are sub par, there is no quality of life, you work a split week where you almost never see your family. The best parts are the employees that are trying to do a good job, even though we dont have the resources to give them

Consalways having to do work for other districts. DSM is almost never an actual manager, he is just a glorified route driver. upper management shuffles you around like a pawn on a chess board

Advice to Senior Managementupper management could not manage their way out of a paperbag.

Worked for Hostess Brands? Contribute to the Community!