Hostess Brands

www.hostessbrands.com

Hostess Brands Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014
Hostess Brands – US – “My bakery”

Hostess Brands President & CEO Gregory F. Rayburn

Gregory F. Rayburn

Pros
  • good pay but over the years continue to decline(in 11 reviews)

• About only pro is that the company does provide good benefits(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • poorly ran company from upper management(in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and dealing with a lot of people who maybe shouldn't have been placed in a position of authority(in 9 reviews)

It has been a learn on your own type of experience that is laden with lies

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) Gulfport, MS

ProsThere is a chance that you may have lots of personal time off from work

ConsThe company is in financial turmoil, upper management is clueless, lies are abundant and the employee is not valued

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the people who actually do the work to keep the company going

A very disorganized company.

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) Jackson, TN

ProsUsed to be the best place to work in Jackson, Tn until they decided to turn against employees and blame the worker for all their problems.

ConsWill only permute friends or family.
    Very disorganized management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWord better with employees and they won't fight.

Challenging experience intertwined with complete management incompetence

District Sales Manager (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsAbout only pro is that the company does provide good benefits.

ConsOut of touch upper management. Lack of appreciation of field sales. Unfair/unreasonable expectations in relation to time required to perform job duties. Little to no training. Never seek feedback. Attaboys are nonexistant. Upper management and some middle management have no clue what is required to perform expected duties on a daily basis

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back in touch with your people. Hop on a truck. Get up at 2am and don't get home until 5pm or later, do it for a couple of weeks, then rethink your expectations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This used to be an excellent place to work until it changed from IBC to Wonder Bread

District Sales Manager (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsThe pay is somewhat driven by performance. However, there is room for improvement. Putting District Managers on a set salary I feel was a mistake. It made people lazy.

ConsThere isnt enough room to list them all. District managers are like people who are being drawn and quartered. They are pulled from 4 directions. Upper Management, Route Sales, Customers, & Their Families.It's become a basic rule that DSM's are considered at the end of their management career now. Upper Management has little respect for them and doesn't want to give them the training or the opportunities to succeed. The old IBC was an excellent place to work. You worked HARD, but you were respected and compensated well for your work. The New IBC (ran by a rag tag collection of Continental people and Ripplewood picks who know nothing about the baking business) Shows no respect, offers no advancement opportunities, and does not compensate based on performance.

Advice to Senior Management#1 - Get rid of the Union. #2 invest in training. Not just a 1 day seminar and then they go back to running routes everyday so they forget what they've learned. Give them the manpower to effectivly manage their own operation. A good DSM can generate more than enough growth through his people if he is left to manage instead of on a route every week. #3 Respect your people. Good people will work hard and have pride in their work if you respect them. Ask any successful senior manager and he will tell you the same.

Hostess Brands could be compared to the Titanic after it struck the icberg.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits are better than most comparable positions with other companies.

ConsThe company has hired so many people from the outside for upper management that we are top heavy. The new people do not understand the business and they have made one bad decision after another. They have held meetings asking the employees what needs to be done to turn the company around and they end up doing the opposite. In an effort to justify the cost of hiring more upper management they have been laying off the people on the front lines doing all the work which squeezes middle management to pick up the slack. They have eliminated positions without thinking of who was to do the work so the few of us who once cared, had to scramble to cover the workload even though it wasn't related to our job. The company is so inefficient now, It takes weeks to get things done that used to be done in just a few minutes. Now they are going to close most of the offices and outsource the work overseas. The morale is very low with most expecting impending doom for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to eliminate the current inefficient structure and go back to the same structure it had when it made money. The routes will have to be sold.

We climbed the mountain and tripped and fell at the top

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood pay, good benefits compared to most jobs

Conslong, thankless hours and a very outdated and lazy management unless you call sitting at your desk all day reading and sending e-mails work. Get out a help an rsr with a display once in awhile

Advice to Senior ManagementThe RSR's can't save the company alone. Take part in our effort and we can do this together. You may be able to con Mr. Driscoll but you can't con me. I've been at this over 32 years and know more than most of you, so "rise above the fray" and do something to help.

Ruined my self confidence and wasted valuable years.

Retail Outlet Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsProvides union wages and protection.

ConsNo work life balance. Physically demanding and dirty. Poor equipment and impossible customer service requirements considering they cater to government assistance clientele.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the over all picture instead of your departments numbers. Seriously listen to employee input and stand up to your own bosses. Invest in modern equipment and start thinking forward in a realistic way i.e., listen to the people in the trenches; meaning on the line, your rsr, clerks, etc. Too much paperwork and not enought time or reason.

Scary, In all of my 27 yrs in route sls, I have never seen a company like this TRYING to give it all away.

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsBenifits,and thats only there thanks to Teamsters Union.

ConsAwefull Management, In the 4-5 years I have been there I have never been told good job, DSM,s and never get out in the market.
    My paycheck has went only down since Ive started, almost back to training pay.
    They are trying now to cut our commisions more.
    Employee Moral is just the worst that I have ever seen

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your RSRs from time to time, to see whats going on with your company.
    Ask for feedback from your RSRs on whats selling in there market.
    Check up on your DSMs.

Would not recommend

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsA lot of responsibility, depending on your position, supervisor, workload, etc.
    Fun corporate events every once in awhile
    Exposure to several brands

ConsRun completely by the board (Ripplewood) for a short term financial gain, which means many bad decisions are made that hurt the business overall, but puts money in their pockets in the meantime.
    Very old-school mentalities--not laid back, kind of uptight, and plenty of discrimination

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek long term goals, keep yourself open to new opportunities rather than just doing things the exact same way you've done them in the past. History will repeat itself if you do the exact same thing that you were doing that got you into bankruptcy in the first place.

Company doesn't return loyalty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsYou get payed on a regular basis
    Health benefits

ConsGood ole boys network
    Management devalues anyone under them
    Refusal to recognize good work
    Does not give raises to mid level management
    Very bad moral among employees and management continues to just move around managers and rehire people known to be bad bosses. They refuse to clean house and get competent management. The get rid of anyone who seems to actually care about employees and the company instead of lining their own pockets.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Get rid of Sales Management, Bakery Managemen and almost everyone at Corporate. Make anyone who wants a management job actually work in a bakery and in sales for at least 2 weeks. Get rid of ALL HR employees and hire people that will actually work with employess and management. This will help temper the union issues.

Worked for Hostess Brands? Contribute to the Community!