Hostess Brands
www.hostessbrands.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Hostess Brands Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Hostess Brands – US – “My bakery”

Hostess Brands President & CEO Gregory F. Rayburn

Gregory F. Rayburn

Pros:
  • "About only pro is that the company does provide good benefits"
    in 11 reviews
  • "good pay but over the years continue to decline"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "poorly ran company from upper management"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Long hours and dealing with a lot of people who maybe shouldn't have been placed in a position of authority"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Challenging experience intertwined with complete management incompetence

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Hostess Brands

ProsAbout only pro is that the company does provide good benefits.

ConsOut of touch upper management. Lack of appreciation of field sales. Unfair/unreasonable expectations in relation to time required to perform job duties. Little to no training. Never seek feedback. Attaboys are nonexistant. Upper management and some middle management have no clue what is required to perform expected duties on a daily basis

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back in touch with your people. Hop on a truck. Get up at 2am and don't get home until 5pm or later, do it for a couple of weeks, then rethink your expectations.

was good years ago

Route Sales (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Prosno one watching over you all day

Consceo's that dont know nothing about the business

Advice to Senior Managementlearn the cake and bread business before you try to make changes path to market a big waste of money

all down hill since we got a new distric manager

Lead Clerk (Current Employee)
West Mifflin, PA

Prospay - customers are wonderful

Consno job security
unfair labor practice - if your not a friend of the dm
management needs walk our walk befor they pass judgement
the fact that they are no longer paying our pention and no one is forcing them to
that was part of our contract, it was a raise we were saving for our future where is that money the union told me if i want it i would have to get a attorney

Advice to Senior Managementif i was doing your job i would of already been fired for not making my numbers
now its your turn step down you don't know how to meet your numbers

This used to be an excellent place to work until it changed from IBC to Wonder Bread

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Peoria, IL

I have been working at Hostess Brands

ProsThe pay is somewhat driven by performance. However, there is room for improvement. Putting District Managers on a set salary I feel was a mistake. It made people lazy.

ConsThere isnt enough room to list them all. District managers are like people who are being drawn and quartered. They are pulled from 4 directions. Upper Management, Route Sales, Customers, & Their Families.It's become a basic rule that DSM's are considered at the end of their management career now. Upper Management has little respect for them and doesn't want to give them the training or the opportunities to succeed. The old IBC was an excellent place to work. You worked HARD, but you were respected and compensated well for your work. The New IBC (ran by a rag tag collection of Continental people and Ripplewood picks who know nothing about the baking business) Shows no respect, offers no advancement opportunities, and does not compensate based on performance.

Advice to Senior Management#1 - Get rid of the Union. #2 invest in training. Not just a 1 day seminar and then they go back to running routes everyday so they forget what they've learned. Give them the manpower to effectivly manage their own operation. A good DSM can generate more than enough growth through his people if he is left to manage instead of on a route every week. #3 Respect your people. Good people will work hard and have pride in their work if you respect them. Ask any successful senior manager and he will tell you the same.

in hell just waiting to get out of the fire so life can begin again,at this point anywhere would be better

Line Catcher (Current Employee)
Emporia, KS

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Prosretirement,and if this was not in the next 5 years I might just shoot myself.But I wouldn't give them the sadisfaction!

Consmanagement is made up of lazy people screwing people just to make there jobs easier and to get there friends in jobs that they dont deserve.Working splite days off, odd hours even working the alot of the holidays and always working the weekends unless you are part of the good ol'boy system that management has created.Never being able to go to speical events,take part in school fuctions with your kids because you either have to go to work or get up so early,and friends for get doing anything with them because they have normal jobs. Not one that makes there life so messed up beause every week your days are split and your days off change unless your are part of the good OL'boy club and its only because management can do it and laugh about it for the most part.

Advice to Senior Managementyou need to come in to the emporia plant and don't just take there word about what they do or don't do, but spend time there find out what they actually do over time then save some money by cutting there payroll and stop cutting jobs or combineing jobs for us the ones that make them look good but keep gettting screwed.

We climbed the mountain and tripped and fell at the top

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hostess Brands

ProsGood pay, good benefits compared to most jobs

Conslong, thankless hours and a very outdated and lazy management unless you call sitting at your desk all day reading and sending e-mails work. Get out a help an rsr with a display once in awhile

Advice to Senior ManagementThe RSR's can't save the company alone. Take part in our effort and we can do this together. You may be able to con Mr. Driscoll but you can't con me. I've been at this over 32 years and know more than most of you, so "rise above the fray" and do something to help.

not bad

Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hostess Brands

ProsGood place to work...you control your own income by how hard you work... Great job for a "people person"

ConsUpper Management has a serious disconnect

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek advice and listen to street level employees

Scary, In all of my 27 yrs in route sls, I have never seen a company like this TRYING to give it all away.

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Hostess Brands

ProsBenifits,and thats only there thanks to Teamsters Union.

ConsAwefull Management, In the 4-5 years I have been there I have never been told good job, DSM,s and never get out in the market.
My paycheck has went only down since Ive started, almost back to training pay.
They are trying now to cut our commisions more.
Employee Moral is just the worst that I have ever seen

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your RSRs from time to time, to see whats going on with your company.
Ask for feedback from your RSRs on whats selling in there market.
Check up on your DSMs.

Would not recommend

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Irving, TX

I worked at Hostess Brands

ProsA lot of responsibility, depending on your position, supervisor, workload, etc.
Fun corporate events every once in awhile
Exposure to several brands

ConsRun completely by the board (Ripplewood) for a short term financial gain, which means many bad decisions are made that hurt the business overall, but puts money in their pockets in the meantime.
Very old-school mentalities--not laid back, kind of uptight, and plenty of discrimination

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek long term goals, keep yourself open to new opportunities rather than just doing things the exact same way you've done them in the past. History will repeat itself if you do the exact same thing that you were doing that got you into bankruptcy in the first place.

Neutral

Always There No Life (Current Employee)
Henderson, NV

I have been working at Hostess Brands

ProsThey have good benefits yeah

Consmoney taken out our check without permission couldnt vote non member

Advice to Senior ManagementHave compassion for others give back what we give to you, give us back our $$

Worked for Hostess Brands? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hostess Brands reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hostess Brands CEO Gregory F. Rayburn. All 107 reviews posted anonymously by Hostess Brands employees.