Hostess Brands Reviews

32 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. Terrible company to work for.

Pros

Pay was good. Hours were good lots of overtime.

Cons

Management was terrible. To many bosses.

2. Great first job

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Franklin Park, IL
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Franklin Park, IL

Pros

- Good experience - Management practices patience - Good trainers

Cons

- No quality of life - Not flexible

Advice to Management

Have an ear out for employees and their moral. Need to be more organized as far as scheduling, switching and promoting positions.

3. Good job, bad management

I worked at Hostess Brands full-time

Pros

get to work on your own, meet great people

Cons

management gets bonuses while your pay goes down

5. All training is on-the-job, and most open positions are given to external candidates.

Pros

Opportunities available for those with little or no education. Good benefits are available.

Cons

There are not many opportunities to advance in the bakeries, and most professional jobs are at the corporate level.

Advice to Management

Develop talent, and pay for performance.

6. Forget your personal life

Former Employee - Route Sales
    Former Employee - Route Sales

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits. Upper management was supportive and personable.

Cons

Typical day began around 4 am and ended around 3-4 pm. The pay is ok but when you consider the amount of hours put in it doesn't look so good. Many of the other employees were nearing retirement and they looked beat up and broken from so many years of physial labor and long hours. May be a good job for a few years but not for a life long career. When you are out on the road you are all alone. The trucks are old and very cold or hot depending on the time of year. Many of the receivers have no patients and look down upon you. It can be difficult to figure out your order for the coming week let alone the coming month. Deliveries should only be made 4 days a week. Most of the times, Fridays and Saturdays, the shelves were stocked and little needed to be put out. This resulted in a day where you were basically driving around for 9 hours straigtening shelves. For a week as long as it is, one more day off would be great.

Advice to Management

New trucks are needed, and they should be equipped with radios. (it gets boring on the road)

Ruined my self confidence and wasted valuable years.

Current Employee - Retail Outlet Clerk
    Current Employee - Retail Outlet Clerk

Pros

Provides union wages and protection.

Cons

No work life balance. Physically demanding and dirty. Poor equipment and impossible customer service requirements considering they cater to government assistance clientele.

Advice to Management

Look at the over all picture instead of your departments numbers. Seriously listen to employee input and stand up to your own bosses. Invest in modern equipment and start thinking forward in a realistic way i.e., listen to the people in the trenches; meaning on the line, your rsr, clerks, etc. Too much paperwork and not enought time or reason.

Hostess Brands could be compared to the Titanic after it struck the icberg.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Salary and benefits are better than most comparable positions with other companies.

Cons

The company has hired so many people from the outside for upper management that we are top heavy. The new people do not understand the business and they have made one bad decision after another. They have held meetings asking the employees what needs to be done to turn the company around and they end up doing the opposite. In an effort to justify the cost of hiring more upper management they have been laying off the people on the front lines doing all the work which squeezes middle management to pick up the slack. They have eliminated positions without thinking of who was to do the work so the few of us who once cared, had to scramble to cover the workload even though it wasn't related to our job. The company is so inefficient now, It takes weeks to get things done that used to be done in just a few minutes. Now they are going to close most of the offices and outsource the work overseas. The morale is very low with most expecting impending doom for the company.

Advice to Management

The company needs to eliminate the current inefficient structure and go back to the same structure it had when it made money. The routes will have to be sold.

9. Slave Drivers who don't give you a fair chance to learn the job

Former Contractor - Production
    Former Contractor - Production

I worked at Hostess Brands as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent. From what I heard there's plenty of overtime.

Cons

Some of the trainers I had were nice but others acted as if you should already know how to do the job. They scheduled me to work in certain areas, but would move me to another area instead, sometimes they moved me before I even got started training and during training instead of letting the trainee stay on one task to learn it, they switched around which made it confusing. Some employees acted like they resented my being there. Some people were nice, but I could tell they all had their "clicks" and I didn't know if I would ever be accepted into one of them. A lot of times, I had to ask what to do because everyone would just run about doing their thing and leaving me in the dark. I got to work a total of six days through a temp agency before they decided they didn't want me back due to performance. I never got a fair chance to learn to do any of the jobs or to increase my speed. My first trainer told me (on my last day) that it was a slave driving company and they expected a lot, but not to worry, I would get better. I've never worked any where before that gave you one week of choppy, inconsistent, crash course training and expected you to perform like you'd been working there for six months to a year at the end of the week. It was "hell week" for me and although I would've liked to stay, mostly because of the pay, I'm glad it's over. A week full of back aches, little to no sleep because of being at work at 4 am and working 10 hr shifts, working with some people who wouldn't even speak to me (although a few were nice). There was one person who I'll miss. My first trainer, along with the two other people who work with her on a daily basis, they were genuinely nice to me and tried to train me properly without expecting me to perform miracles.

Advice to Management

Develop better training methods with specific people to be trainers who aren't so arrogant they forget that they had to learn how to do the job too. I really don't think this advice or review will be taken seriously. I don't think this company really cares about their employees. They just care about the money.

10. Do not work here

Pros

decent money, Get off work at a decent hour

Cons

upper management doesnt know anything, mismanagement of funds, treat employee's like crap. Keep taking more from the Route guys, we are already some of the lowest paid.

Advice to Management

Learn what your doing

11. It Sounds Good

I have been working at Hostess Brands part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hostess Brands has benefits and are unionized, so you are protected. Also, they have an adequate pension plan for the time being.

Cons

Hostess Brands has filed bankruptcy AGAIN. It is a company with a lot of potential, but it is so poorly managed that it's being driven into the ground. Also, the job stability is no longer existent.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers instead of using them. We're the ones who know what the company needs anyway.

RSS Feed </> Embed