Hostess Brands

Updated September 20, 2014
2.6

Hostess Brands President & CEO Gregory F. Rayburn
Gregory F. Rayburn

Pros
  • Good Money,Good Benefits,work at midnight off at noon (in 13 reviews)

• good pay but over the years continue to decline (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • poorly ran company from upper management (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and dealing with a lot of people who maybe shouldn't have been placed in a position of authority (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Poorly run Company, very bad decision making, Company wastes money.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

We have a job, average pay compared to the rest of the bakeries. The Union has been tiring to negotiate a better contract.

Cons

Working split days...I've heard all the reasons why we still have split days, that was a long time ago we need to move on , working weekends, constant shift changes, no respect to the employees, the ones that come in and do the LABOR!

Leave the employees pay alone, STOP! your big Company bonuses, and run the Company RIGHT!

It has been a learn on your own type of experience that is laden with lies

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative  in  Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

There is a chance that you may have lots of personal time off from work

Cons

The company is in financial turmoil, upper management is clueless, lies are abundant and the employee is not valued

Take care of the people who actually do the work to keep the company going

On balance, it has been a good company over my 30 years.

Current Employee - Shiping  in  Hodgkins, IL
    Current Employee - Shiping in Hodgkins, IL

I have been working at Hostess Brands full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good pay for unskilled labor. Good benefits.

Cons

Inept management which has lead to our 2 bk's in 8 years. Lack of quality leadership at the top.

Close all the thrift stores. Close and consolidate bakeries. Cut bakery management in half. Eliminate varieties that do not sell. Get rid of anything owned by Hostess Brands that is not either specifically Hostess or Wonder Bread.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slave Drivers who don't give you a fair chance to learn the job

Former Employee - Production
    Former Employee - Production

I worked at Hostess Brands as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The pay is decent. From what I heard there's plenty of overtime.

Cons

Some of the trainers I had were nice but others acted as if you should already know how to do the job. They scheduled me to work in certain areas, but would move me to another area instead, sometimes they moved me before I even got started training and during training instead of letting the trainee stay on one task to learn it, they switched around which made it confusing. Some employees acted like they resented my being there. Some people were nice, but I could tell they all had their "clicks" and I didn't know if I would ever be accepted into one of them. A lot of times, I had to ask what to do because everyone would just run about doing their thing and leaving me in the dark. I got to work a total of six days through a temp agency before they decided they didn't want me back due to performance. I never got a fair chance to learn to do any of the jobs or to increase my speed. My first trainer told me (on my last day) that it was a slave driving company and they expected a lot, but not to worry, I would get better. I've never worked any where before that gave you one week of choppy, inconsistent, crash course training and expected you to perform like you'd been working there for six months to a year at the end of the week. It was "hell week" for me and although I would've liked to stay, mostly because of the pay, I'm glad it's over. A week full of back aches, little to no sleep because of being at work at 4 am and working 10 hr shifts, working with some people who wouldn't even speak to me (although a few were nice). There was one person who I'll miss. My first trainer, along with the two other people who work with her on a daily basis, they were genuinely nice to me and tried to train me properly without expecting me to perform miracles.

Develop better training methods with specific people to be trainers who aren't so arrogant they forget that they had to learn how to do the job too. I really don't think this advice or review will be taken seriously. I don't think this company really cares about their employees. They just care about the money.

Not bad, be better if it was more stable

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - District Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Hostess Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

pay, benefits and expenses. Vacation is good too. I have enjoyed my territory as well.

Cons

unstable- Everyone in mid/senior leadership is there because of time on job and not knowledge, There is a lot of waste that goes in the trash that could be additional GP.

sell to a capable owner

Machine Operator

I worked at Hostess Brands

Pros

If you look to work long hours .... this is the place

Cons

Rotating schedule throughout the day

Do not work here

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

decent money, Get off work at a decent hour

Cons

upper management doesnt know anything, mismanagement of funds, treat employee's like crap. Keep taking more from the Route guys, we are already some of the lowest paid.

Learn what your doing

work life of a salesman

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Hostess Brands full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people to work with. The pay is fairly good. The benefits (for now) are alright. Immediate supervision is decent.

Cons

Long hours and dealing with a lot of people who maybe shouldn't have been placed in a position of authority. Second bankruptcy for the company since I've been with them. Doesn't look like we'll survive this one.

Get the bankruptcy situation resolved. Whichever way it goes is preferable to going months on end not knowing if the doors will be locked the next day you come in.

What Happened to this Company

Current Employee - Route Sales  in  Chickasaw, AL
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Chickasaw, AL

I have been working at Hostess Brands full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always Hiring, good benefits, good guys to work with on the average

Cons

I have seen this company change drastically. I guess I am old Now, I made great money here 20 years ago. Now, things are ran by greedy, dishonest , unexperienced uppermanagement, who have NO BAKERY distribution training. This IS ASHAME FOR SURE. DM's hide behind emails and texts, never go out on the market, demanding things that they have NO CLUE about. A real Bread Man build a report with their customers. I could go on and ON , its sad. so much waste.

RECRUIT SOME OLDTIMERS, WHO UNDERSTAND DISTRIBUTION, this is not a soda delivivery company. GET SOME EXPERIENCE IN HERE. STOP THE GREED, STOP THE WASTE, NO WONDER YOU ALL LOOSE MONEY, GET OUT OF YOUR OFFICES AND GO CHECK OUT THE MARKET..OR IS IT TOO HOT??

rode hard, chewed up and spit out

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at Hostess Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no best reason to work here. The benefits are sub par, there is no quality of life, you work a split week where you almost never see your family. The best parts are the employees that are trying to do a good job, even though we dont have the resources to give them

Cons

always having to do work for other districts. DSM is almost never an actual manager, he is just a glorified route driver. upper management shuffles you around like a pawn on a chess board

upper management could not manage their way out of a paperbag.

Hostess Brands Photos

My bakery

+ Add Photo

Worked for Hostess Brands? Contribute to the Community!