Hostess Brands Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.6

Hostess Brands President & CEO Gregory F. Rayburn
Gregory F. Rayburn

Pros
  • good pay but over the years continue to decline (in 11 reviews)

• About only pro is that the company does provide good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • poorly ran company from upper management (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and dealing with a lot of people who maybe shouldn't have been placed in a position of authority (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Slave Drivers who don't give you a fair chance to learn the job

Former Employee - Production
    Former Employee - Production

I worked at Hostess Brands as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The pay is decent. From what I heard there's plenty of overtime.

Cons

Some of the trainers I had were nice but others acted as if you should already know how to do the job. They scheduled me to work in certain areas, but would move me to another area instead, sometimes they moved me before I even got started training and during training instead of letting the trainee stay on one task to learn it, they switched around which made it confusing. Some employees acted like they resented my being there. Some people were nice, but I could tell they all had their "clicks" and I didn't know if I would ever be accepted into one of them. A lot of times, I had to ask what to do because everyone would just run about doing their thing and leaving me in the dark. I got to work a total of six days through a temp agency before they decided they didn't want me back due to performance. I never got a fair chance to learn to do any of the jobs or to increase my speed. My first trainer told me (on my last day) that it was a slave driving company and they expected a lot, but not to worry, I would get better. I've never worked any where before that gave you one week of choppy, inconsistent, crash course training and expected you to perform like you'd been working there for six months to a year at the end of the week. It was "hell week" for me and although I would've liked to stay, mostly because of the pay, I'm glad it's over. A week full of back aches, little to no sleep because of being at work at 4 am and working 10 hr shifts, working with some people who wouldn't even speak to me (although a few were nice). There was one person who I'll miss. My first trainer, along with the two other people who work with her on a daily basis, they were genuinely nice to me and tried to train me properly without expecting me to perform miracles.

Develop better training methods with specific people to be trainers who aren't so arrogant they forget that they had to learn how to do the job too. I really don't think this advice or review will be taken seriously. I don't think this company really cares about their employees. They just care about the money.

On balance, it has been a good company over my 30 years.

Current Employee - Shiping  in  Hodgkins, IL
    Current Employee - Shiping in Hodgkins, IL

I have been working at Hostess Brands full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good pay for unskilled labor. Good benefits.

Cons

Inept management which has lead to our 2 bk's in 8 years. Lack of quality leadership at the top.

Close all the thrift stores. Close and consolidate bakeries. Cut bakery management in half. Eliminate varieties that do not sell. Get rid of anything owned by Hostess Brands that is not either specifically Hostess or Wonder Bread.

It has been a learn on your own type of experience that is laden with lies

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative  in  Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

There is a chance that you may have lots of personal time off from work

Cons

The company is in financial turmoil, upper management is clueless, lies are abundant and the employee is not valued

Take care of the people who actually do the work to keep the company going

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A very disorganized company.

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative  in  Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

Used to be the best place to work in Jackson, Tn until they decided to turn against employees and blame the worker for all their problems.

Cons

Will only permute friends or family.
    Very disorganized management.

Word better with employees and they won't fight.

Challenging experience intertwined with complete management incompetence

Current Employee - District Sales Manager  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

About only pro is that the company does provide good benefits.

Cons

Out of touch upper management. Lack of appreciation of field sales. Unfair/unreasonable expectations in relation to time required to perform job duties. Little to no training. Never seek feedback. Attaboys are nonexistant. Upper management and some middle management have no clue what is required to perform expected duties on a daily basis

Get back in touch with your people. Hop on a truck. Get up at 2am and don't get home until 5pm or later, do it for a couple of weeks, then rethink your expectations.

This used to be an excellent place to work until it changed from IBC to Wonder Bread

Current Employee - District Sales Manager  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

The pay is somewhat driven by performance. However, there is room for improvement. Putting District Managers on a set salary I feel was a mistake. It made people lazy.

Cons

There isnt enough room to list them all. District managers are like people who are being drawn and quartered. They are pulled from 4 directions. Upper Management, Route Sales, Customers, & Their Families.It's become a basic rule that DSM's are considered at the end of their management career now. Upper Management has little respect for them and doesn't want to give them the training or the opportunities to succeed. The old IBC was an excellent place to work. You worked HARD, but you were respected and compensated well for your work. The New IBC (ran by a rag tag collection of Continental people and Ripplewood picks who know nothing about the baking business) Shows no respect, offers no advancement opportunities, and does not compensate based on performance.

#1 - Get rid of the Union. #2 invest in training. Not just a 1 day seminar and then they go back to running routes everyday so they forget what they've learned. Give them the manpower to effectivly manage their own operation. A good DSM can generate more than enough growth through his people if he is left to manage instead of on a route every week. #3 Respect your people. Good people will work hard and have pride in their work if you respect them. Ask any successful senior manager and he will tell you the same.

Hostess Brands could be compared to the Titanic after it struck the icberg.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

Salary and benefits are better than most comparable positions with other companies.

Cons

The company has hired so many people from the outside for upper management that we are top heavy. The new people do not understand the business and they have made one bad decision after another. They have held meetings asking the employees what needs to be done to turn the company around and they end up doing the opposite. In an effort to justify the cost of hiring more upper management they have been laying off the people on the front lines doing all the work which squeezes middle management to pick up the slack. They have eliminated positions without thinking of who was to do the work so the few of us who once cared, had to scramble to cover the workload even though it wasn't related to our job. The company is so inefficient now, It takes weeks to get things done that used to be done in just a few minutes. Now they are going to close most of the offices and outsource the work overseas. The morale is very low with most expecting impending doom for the company.

The company needs to eliminate the current inefficient structure and go back to the same structure it had when it made money. The routes will have to be sold.

We climbed the mountain and tripped and fell at the top

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

Good pay, good benefits compared to most jobs

Cons

long, thankless hours and a very outdated and lazy management unless you call sitting at your desk all day reading and sending e-mails work. Get out a help an rsr with a display once in awhile

The RSR's can't save the company alone. Take part in our effort and we can do this together. You may be able to con Mr. Driscoll but you can't con me. I've been at this over 32 years and know more than most of you, so "rise above the fray" and do something to help.

Ruined my self confidence and wasted valuable years.

Current Employee - Retail Outlet Clerk
    Current Employee - Retail Outlet Clerk

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

Provides union wages and protection.

Cons

No work life balance. Physically demanding and dirty. Poor equipment and impossible customer service requirements considering they cater to government assistance clientele.

Look at the over all picture instead of your departments numbers. Seriously listen to employee input and stand up to your own bosses. Invest in modern equipment and start thinking forward in a realistic way i.e., listen to the people in the trenches; meaning on the line, your rsr, clerks, etc. Too much paperwork and not enought time or reason.

Scary, In all of my 27 yrs in route sls, I have never seen a company like this TRYING to give it all away.

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

Benifits,and thats only there thanks to Teamsters Union.

Cons

Awefull Management, In the 4-5 years I have been there I have never been told good job, DSM,s and never get out in the market.
    My paycheck has went only down since Ive started, almost back to training pay.
    They are trying now to cut our commisions more.
    Employee Moral is just the worst that I have ever seen

Work with your RSRs from time to time, to see whats going on with your company.
    Ask for feedback from your RSRs on whats selling in there market.
    Check up on your DSMs.

Worked for Hostess Brands? Contribute to the Community!