Hostmark Hospitality Reviews

6 reviews filtered by
3.1
Bud Cataldo

One of the best jobs of my career

Current Employee - Reg Director Sales & Marketing in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Reg Director Sales & Marketing in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Hostmark Hospitality full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Constant challenge, ever evolving learning experience with a group of professionals that have had long tenure and successful careers. Management encourages training and growth opportunities. For new employees with a desire to grow this is a great starting place. Once you have proven successful and committed your opportunites for growth are great.

Cons

A bit top heavy with old school mentality at times. Sometimes it takes so long to make changes that seem necessary

2. An Adventure in Mid Level Mediocrity

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hostmark Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their nice, retro, 1980's logo.

Cons

Hostmark manages a number of hotels and is venturing into other business opportunities including actually owning the plantations they manage. That being said, if the companies benefits are an indication and culture is truly trickle down, then the hotel property I worked at is perhaps an accurate reflection of this organization. The Hostmark managed hotel I am now glad I no longer work at was truly one of the more depressing professional experiences of my career.

Many employees who have worked at this property much longer than I did reported that they had never seen the morale so low, namely because the hotel's implicit operating rules shifted from rewarding employee performance and appreciating their hard work to the employees should do good work because they should be happy to have a job. In my short time at this property, I myself saw and experienced this on multiple levels. Working at this property had no joy, not even satisfaction from doing a job well.

Advice to Management

Lead by example, i.e. do not adopt the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality that that ruled the work environment.

3. Difficult but not impossible

I worked at Hostmark Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hostmark has a team that is very helpful when you need it. They are there to walk through the steps a new employee. They are a challenging company to work for and work with due to the vast array of personalities. There are those people you get along with just fine and there are a select few that are very difficult and rude. However, all in all the experience s a good one to have whether you stay with Hostmark or choose to leave and move forward. It is a set of skills you can carry forward in life.

Cons

The downside to Hostmark is that when you need support they are not readily available. When you expect them to arrive for important dates i.e. meetings there are no responses given back. You are left there to make excuses for them. I think that part of the hospitality experience for employees is that Hostmark shows up for important events even if it is just to be a support system. Asking for items is difficult. No one responds back in a timely manner. It is annoying to get items to fix the hotel in timely manner.

Advice to Management

All of your employees are valuable and each one should be treated with courtesy. When we voice a complaint it should be handled immediately. Do not blind sight anyone. Be honest and upfront and do not wait until the last minute. Rehiring disgruntled employees is a bad move. You will fail if you do so. Fix the hotel. Full renovation is necessary. It will help with business, employee experience and the ultimately the guest experience.

5. Challenging, but you will learn a lot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Hostmark Hospitality full-time

Pros

Challenging & fast-paced work environment - to me this is a pro. Company provides health benefits plus spacious office setting. It is family managed with a great culture. Colleagues are professional, friendly, and very knowledgeable -- are eager to share their knowledge & experience to help others they work with.

Cons

Not easily accessible by public transportation -- commute can be long & frustrating

6. A self-centered GM and crazy budget made the experience painful due to the stress and backstabbing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at Hostmark Hospitality

Pros

Pay was competitive, benefits OK. There were some hard working people there that did a great job. Renovations were planned, so they were willing to spend money to improve the product.

Cons

Budget not realistic resulting in salaried managers working 70+ hours a week. Optimistic sales goals rarely met, so there was never a good time to replace equipment. Difficult to work for someone who can act like Caesar without repercussion. Just a real sour experience.

Advice to Management

Make more realistic budgets. Do not just focus on profit. Find better GMs.

7. Knowledgeable company leadership

I worked at Hostmark Hospitality

Pros

Pay and bonus work challenge

Cons

In adequate health benefits for Exec committee/property level employees